#1 February 1st, 2007 06:58 PM

elie

Elie is here to chat

hey guys, im quite interested in talking to other people that have done shoots or even if someone would like to talk about my shoot!!!

Thanks talk to you soon

#2 February 1st, 2007 09:03 PM

paintjam

Re: Elie is here to chat

hello my dear.
what would you like to know?
i am sure you are already aware of how hard (but exciting) it can be to create with a camera only at arms length.
welcome and reload, please.

jamie

'stay beautiful'

#3 February 1st, 2007 09:43 PM

Paulie

Hi Elie,

Loved your photo set.  You really have an artistic flare.  Love your natural looks.  Was your shoot planned or did you do it spontaneously?.

Looking forward to a reload and a video.

Paulie

#4 February 1st, 2007 11:48 PM

Trooperdan

Hi Elie!  I am so pleased that you've joined the forum!  I loved your set and I am hoping to see more from you; how about a video so we get to hear your voice as well?  You are a lovely woman!  I'm sure that you've heard that all of your life so no news flash there!  I am entranced by your face, especially your eyes!  I think numbers 58 and 94 were my favorites.. but it would only be by a small margin as they are all great!

I was going to ask if that concrete wasn't very cold but I think it is the hot season in Oz, isn't it?  Were did you do that shoot and did you have "security" posted? smile 

You are a star and much good is in your future!

Thanks for sharing, both your folio and for joining the forum!

#5 February 2nd, 2007 04:02 AM

SCSIgirl

elie wrote:

hey guys, im quite interested in talking to other people that have done shoots or even if someone would like to talk about my shoot!!!

Thanks talk to you soon

Hiya El, and welcome here.  You just may be the breath of fresh air this forum needs.  It used to be an extremely lively place,  but IFM took some of the best contributors away.  In fact,  if it weren't for Jamie,  this forum would be a vacant as your stadium.

Your shoot was wonderful.  The bright colors of the scarf  set against the drab concrete was an excellent contrast of color.  At the same time your soft smooth curves were a contrast to the smooth angular lines of the concrete.  Intended or not, it worked really well.

And you should really consider doing some professional modeling:  you have everything it takes.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#6 February 2nd, 2007 03:22 PM

Agamemnon

I'd like to see a video too, something simple and honest as I think would come naturally to you anyway.  I also think you should have a careful think about doing modelling, if you don't already do so.  It would certainly help with HECS.
I don't know where you live now exactly but Wahroonga certainly is a beautiful part of the world - a bit out of my price range though. smile

#7 February 3rd, 2007 03:38 PM

elie

hey there,

i am considering doing modelling as a few people have now told me i should, the only thing is i dont know how to get into it at all. If anyone knows how please let me know. But i dont want some dodgy little modelling agency that you have to pay $500 to have your photo taken and then posted on the internet. I want a proper job.

Anyway yes it was freezing as you can see the goosebumps on my skin in some of the photos! It was done late afternoon in october or november so was not as warm as i would have liked. I have recently completed another shoot, its a rock/beach scene and oh boy was that fun. I hope it gets posted soon, it was so amazing.

And the scarf i thought would make a great extra piece to the scene, instead of just plain ol' boring me.

I dont like the raunchy scenes that some photos can create i really like the way i have been portrayed in the shoot, it has turned out alot better than i expected.

ANyway if anyone does have any ideas how to get into modelling my lines open for ideas.

Thanks again

#8 February 3rd, 2007 07:26 PM

paintjam

where are you living?

you should begin by putting together at least a small portfolio.

they love to see photos when you go looking for work, so create an assortment of head shots and other nicely done images.

it would help if you had someone else take them, or if you decide to shoot yourself, use a tripod to get the best possible images.  (shooting from arms length is fine for art, but they will keep copies of your images on file so try to take the best possible images).

where i live for instance, there are numerous places a model can set an appointment with a modeling agency to see what they might be able to offer.

i know a few models, they have never would up on the cover of vogue, but they make a good living nonetheless.

hugz
jamie

'stay beautiful'

#9 February 3rd, 2007 10:32 PM

Agamemnon

There is a  fair number of legit agencies around (a comment which is not terribly helpful of course) but you might also like to have a think about films and tv (particularly commercials).  There's still quite a lot happening around Sydney.  In fact a friend of mine does this, albeit usually ending up on the cutting room floor, but I don't think that would be your fate.  I'll ask her for her advice and pass it on via this forum.

By the way I like your comment about the positive aesthetic of "non-raunchy" photo shoot;.  I agree totally.  It strikes me that showing detailed genetalia is a way of filling in for a lack of ideas.  I've seen a lot of really beautiful folios degraded in this way.  I don't find this offensive but it just seems pointless.  If there is some good artistic reason for a girl spreading her labia well so be it and I applaud it but this is rarely the case.  Maybe I'm just a prude though I like to think otherwise and freely admit I don't fully understand the motivation of women (have to go b ack and read some more Greer).

Hanging out for your beach scene.

Lotsa luv A.

#10 February 4th, 2007 11:31 AM

blissed

I've already looked into this for somebody else here. I thought she's outstandingly beautiful, surely she could do other types of modelling as well and what I found from emailing storm agency in London and an hour googling, was that ISM seems to have no parallel in those other forms of modelling. pretty much all modelling is about you being what the photographer wants you to be which can include changing your hair and you being able to "act". Their not really interested in you expressing yourself as you are here unless that's exactly the look they want at a particular time. Even tho some agency personnel can be nice you still seem highly expendable, even many of the best model agencies charge you for the losses incurred if you don't show for a shoot, but they can cancel the shoot without refunding your expenses. It seems like the people who model have no power and the sort of modelling you've done here is treated with disdain, when in fact it's much better. I've been here about a year and comparing the representations of beauty here with those in the commercial domain (magazines, TV etc) these are far better and much more diverse and honest. If you get any more work from feck it's usually quite creative and interesting and paradoxically seems more respectful to you.

P.S. I think vagina's are very often beautiful and imagery of them should be treated with respect and not disdain.

Ha ha bit of ranty mood, sorry smile

Last edited by blissed (February 4th, 2007 11:33 AM)

#11 February 4th, 2007 09:27 PM

Agamemnon

blissed wrote:

P.S. I think vagina's are very often beautiful and imagery of them should be treated with respect and not disdain.

Ha ha bit of ranty mood, sorry smile

Year OK I agree with that.  Respect rather than gratuity is what I was (unsuccessfully) trying to get at.
Likewise in a ranty mood at the last post.

#12 February 5th, 2007 05:26 AM

SCSIgirl

elie wrote:

hey there,

i am considering doing modelling as a few people have now told me i should, the only thing is i dont know how to get into it at all. If anyone knows how please let me know. But i dont want some dodgy little modelling agency that you have to pay $500 to have your photo taken and then posted on the internet. I want a proper job.

Anyway yes it was freezing as you can see the goosebumps on my skin in some of the photos! It was done late afternoon in october or november so was not as warm as i would have liked. I have recently completed another shoot, its a rock/beach scene and oh boy was that fun. I hope it gets posted soon, it was so amazing.

And the scarf i thought would make a great extra piece to the scene, instead of just plain ol' boring me.

I dont like the raunchy scenes that some photos can create i really like the way i have been portrayed in the shoot, it has turned out alot better than i expected.

ANyway if anyone does have any ideas how to get into modelling my lines open for ideas.

Thanks again

Hiya El,

First, get some photos together.  A few head shots out of your ISM shoot would be good.  Check with ISM since they probably hold the copyright.  You don't need to go to a pro photog right out of the gun.  Check around witrh your buddies.  Photography is a common enough hobby that someone you know must be adept with a camera.  Even an advanced amateur knows something about shooting people.  Also get a few action shots together,  (walking, playing tennis, wrestling anacondas, etc).

You can open a "mySpace" page for free,  make it private,  and allow in only a few trusted critics.  Get some positive feedback, and produce the site solely for your modelling profession.  Once you are comfortable with it,  you can make it public,  and invite agencies to it.  Most agencies are looking for the next "Elle MacPhearson" so they WILL follow leads.  You can do all this with minimal exxpense.  (You can open other "mySpace" page for your private or "friends" use.)  When paying jobs start coming in,  you can open a regular web site strictly for your profession.  This may me a bit of an early expense,  but anyone planning or working on a public carrer,  should get there name domain at least reserved for them.  (ie.  www.janejones.com)  I will help anyway I can.

BTW - If any agency thinks you have potential,  they will pay you or shoot tests of you for free. In the long run you will make money for them as their model.  There is a huge industry of "modelling agents/photographers" out there feeding on young model hopefuls.

Last edited by SCSIgirl (February 5th, 2007 05:33 AM)

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#13 February 5th, 2007 05:50 AM

SCSIgirl

elie wrote:

hey there,

Thanks again

I have a warning I give to all my new models and want to pass on to you.  I am not sure of the laws in Oz,  but here in the States,  be carefull of what you sign.  Most photographers ask you to sign a 'Model Release'.  This piece of paper in most forms,  gives the photographer TOTAL copyrights to the photos.  They can publish them,  sell them, reproduce them with no compensation to you.  If a photographer or agency PAYS YOU,  then you will have to sign a release.  Only the really top models can modify or demand changes to the Model Release.

BUT..  and here's the big red flag for you and all models:  IF YOU PAY the photographer for any shots,  YOU should have the copyrights.  Most photographers will ask for the model release either because it's their habit, or because they are going to sell them without your knowledge or compenstaion.  IF YOU HAVE PAID,  then the pics are yours.  Do NOT use any photog who demands otherwise.  It's like saying "I'll sell you the car,  but you have to sign the title over to me".

And don't pay an agency until you get something together yourself.  If you approach them with some pre-preperation,  you wil appear as a serious candidate,  and they will be more considerate in their handling of you.  Treat it as a business and you will do well.  Check out www.cindy.com

#14 February 7th, 2007 11:24 AM

wally1131

elie wrote:

Thanks talk to you soon

Hi Elie,

nice, tasteful job on your shoot

It is a fabulous combo with your beauty

I 'shot myself' once too

Wally

#15 February 14th, 2007 05:11 AM

albert

Really great, Elie, and I like the current trend away from the gratuitously graphic. This isn't supposed to be pr0n.  Location was fab. concrete and skin really worked well. Superb use of the  available light. YOu really seemed to know what you were doing. well done smile Modelling? I'm a photographer and have put tohgether a lot of basic portfolios for people, usually gratis, since it gives me the opportunity to try out light or an old lens etc. Head shot (eye contact with camera) 3/4 length and full length, usually something a little more imaginative, (which is where I get to expand my portfolio). NOT nude, by the way, not for a portfolio, unless that is the work you want to do. I'm sure I'm not the only photographer does this, am I? You should NEVER have to pay to go on an agency's books. Use the internet. Search for agencies of models you know.  f'rinstance, type in "kate moss agency" yes it works.  They will have an area, where they advise of what they need, and how to submit it - you will need digitals as well as hard copies. *Have attitude*. what have you got to lose? Very best of luck, and if you're ever in my part of the UK...

#16 June 7th, 2007 09:10 PM

Agamemnon

I'm re-opening this thread because, having just watched your video (and your second shoot a couple of weeks ago), I've had my original thoughts confirmed.  Your really are quite a lady with a great presence, sense of humour and a lot of integrity.  As well as doing modelling have you ever thought about getting into TV?  You certainly have potential - well in my humble opinion anyway.  As you don't know who I am that could be more valuable than you think smile.... or not.

#17 June 9th, 2007 12:16 AM

albert

Elie, further to my previous post:  have a look at www.purestorm.com it's a site run by models, photographers and agencies for models, photographers and agencies (amateur and pro).  Costs nothing to join. there seems to be a reasonable bunch in Australia: big place, I know!, but maybe my writing this will get a a few more to join ...who knows.

#18 June 9th, 2007 01:46 AM

michelle

dear ellie...
i'm new member here...
nice see your picture...

and nice to see all here...
i like this forum....
maybe i can get a friend here...
& may somebody here want to be my friend?
please contact me...
amurayaha@yahoo.com

i'm from indonesia...

#19 June 9th, 2007 02:36 AM

turtleman

Hi Michelle.

I wrote you from my private e-mail.

be well.

Peter (Turtleman)

Board footer