1. Index
  2. » Project_ISM
  3. » Tea Trouble

#1 November 11th, 2006 09:18 PM

paulie_09

Tea Trouble

I love black tea and I want the caffiene. Along with the health benefits it seems a much more enduring, though slower stimulant than coffee. I like to drink about 5 or 6 cups in the morning. Problem is, every time I decide to go out for flavored black teas - berries, vanilla, etc. - they don't seem to have much kick. I get it from Liptons and that's about it.

The trouble now is with Twinings of London, there's no kick, but there so tasty. But there's nothing saying "naturally decaffinated" on the box. Any place I can get both?

#2 November 11th, 2006 10:49 PM

paintjam

Re: Tea Trouble

paulie_09 wrote:

I love black tea and I want the caffiene. Along with the health benefits it seems a much more enduring, though slower stimulant than coffee. I like to drink about 5 or 6 cups in the morning. Problem is, every time I decide to go out for flavored black teas - berries, vanilla, etc. - they don't seem to have much kick. I get it from Liptons and that's about it.

The trouble now is with Twinings of London, there's no kick, but there so tasty. But there's nothing saying "naturally decaffinated" on the box. Any place I can get both?

any local grocery store chain here sweetie.

what about earl grey?

jamie

'stay beautiful'

#3 November 11th, 2006 11:45 PM

paulie_09

paintjam wrote:

any local grocery store chain here sweetie.

what about earl grey?

jamie

dunno about earl, but kick AND flavor in the same box, love to hear bout it

#4 November 12th, 2006 04:56 AM

Belgareth

paulie_09 wrote:

We seem to have the same problem on both sides of the Pond. I've resorted to buying Yorkshire tea (that is a brand name not a location!), which carries the kick of a seriously irritated mule. I add Bergamot, if I fancy Eark Grey or lime juice, raspberry juice or whatever before infusing the tea, if I fancy something other than plain old tea flavour. Although I must admit that Yorkshire tea does have a very pleasant flavour without anything added, if you like powerful tea!

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#5 November 12th, 2006 09:57 AM

paintjam

paulie_09 wrote:

earl grey is mild with a kick if that makes any sense.

jamie

'stay beautiful'

#6 November 13th, 2006 02:59 AM

jackscratch

Any place I can get both?[/QUOTE]

Have you tried chai? You can get lots of different types here in Cali (and probably even better in it's origin of...um India I think or Nepal or ???), not sure about your neck o' the woods. It has a good buzz, and flavor that you can play with by adding honey, milk or your condiment of choice. Oregonian chai here on the west coast is generally sweeter. I found a good provider in the Kensington area of London when I was there last spring...I'm sure it's quite common.

#7 November 13th, 2006 03:15 AM

paulie_09

jackscratch wrote:

Have you tried chai? You can get lots of different types here in Cali (and probably even better in it's origin of...um India I think or Nepal or ???), not sure about your neck o' the woods. It has a good buzz, and flavor that you can play with by adding honey, milk or your condiment of choice. Oregonian chai here on the west coast is generally sweeter. I found a good provider in the Kensington area of London when I was there last spring...I'm sure it's quite common.

Thanks all, I'm gonna have to hit some import stores. Charlotte, NC as I think most major cities has a wonderful Indian grocer (one that makes and sells their own samosas and you get 7 oz. bags of spices for $2-$3) and some Asian grocers. Then there's that big new import chain - World Market - kinda like Pier 1 was in the 70's. Should be a reasonable source for Brit, Indian teas and more..

#8 November 13th, 2006 08:42 AM

dandy

I have been pondering this topic for a long time now. I have still never been able to find a brand of tea that even lists that it IS caffinated. I also find this strange seeing as everything else caffinated is always has it labeled. Im sure they all are, i rememeber someone telling me that one had a particularly large amount, it was either tetley or dilma, now would be a really good time to remember which one it was... pity i cant

sometimes enough is not enough and i want MORE

#9 November 14th, 2006 08:24 AM

paulie_09

Belgareth wrote:

We seem to have the same problem on both sides of the Pond. I've resorted to buying Yorkshire tea (that is a brand name not a location!), which carries the kick of a seriously irritated mule. I add Bergamot, if I fancy Eark Grey or lime juice, raspberry juice or whatever before infusing the tea, if I fancy something other than plain old tea flavour. Although I must admit that Yorkshire tea does have a very pleasant flavour without anything added, if you like powerful tea!

Another problem (on this side of the pond) is that since we're normally coffee drinkers we wind up putting a tea bag in a coffee mug - that is roughly twice the size of a tea cup and seriously impairs one's caffiene intake.

That'll be 2 bags per mug please.

BTW, I did find my little Indian grocer carries a HUGE variety of black (all caffienated) teas.

#10 November 17th, 2006 02:14 PM

ISM_Office

I agree, sometimes you do need 2 teabags if it is a mug, though I do love the ritual of the teapot, the tea leaves, the strainer and all the other little fiddly bits. If you want a stronger tea then I recommend loose leaf tea or (more expensive) tea made from the bud of the plant. Tea in bags, be it Tetley's or whoever is usually made up of the dust and crumbly bits left over from packing loose leaf teas. Liptons brought out Intense Black Tea, which is quite strong compared to their normal tea. Most people don't leave the teabag in the cup long enough, or they do something crazy like add the milk while the tea bag is in there. I have probably just outed myself as being a bit weird.

#11 November 17th, 2006 05:50 PM

Paulie

I too am a tea worshipper.  Coffee doesn't do it for me.  I was recently given an elegant stainless steel pot-for-one and I too love the rituals associated with this.  I didn't know that tea bags were filled with sweepings (yuck).  I do know that the bags are linked with dioxin poisoning.

My all time favour tea is Earl Grey (with milk).  But it has to be a really good quality Earl Grey like Twinnings.

I would be interested in the favourite teas of other ISM forumites.

#12 November 17th, 2006 09:00 PM

paintjam

ISM_Office wrote:

I agree, sometimes you do need 2 teabags if it is a mug, though I do love the ritual of the teapot, the tea leaves, the strainer and all the other little fiddly bits. If you want a stronger tea then I recommend loose leaf tea or (more expensive) tea made from the bud of the plant. Tea in bags, be it Tetley's or whoever is usually made up of the dust and crumbly bits left over from packing loose leaf teas. Liptons brought out Intense Black Tea, which is quite strong compared to their normal tea. Most people don't leave the teabag in the cup long enough, or they do something crazy like add the milk while the tea bag is in there. I have probably just outed myself as being a bit weird.

yes brew it loose and you can get it strong indeed.
just pass it through a strainer and voila.

jamie

'stay beautiful'

#13 November 17th, 2006 09:01 PM

paintjam

paulie_09 wrote:

Another problem (on this side of the pond) is that since we're normally coffee drinkers we wind up putting a tea bag in a coffee mug - that is roughly twice the size of a tea cup and seriously impairs one's caffiene intake.

That'll be 2 bags per mug please.

BTW, I did find my little Indian grocer carries a HUGE variety of black (all caffienated) teas.

ahhhhhhh so many teas......;)

http://www.nbtea.co.uk/glossary.php

'stay beautiful'

#14 November 18th, 2006 04:42 AM

jackscratch

Paulie wrote:

I too am a tea worshipper.  Coffee doesn't do it for me.  I was recently given an elegant stainless steel pot-for-one and I too love the rituals associated with this.  I didn't know that tea bags were filled with sweepings (yuck).  I do know that the bags are linked with dioxin poisoning.

My all time favour tea is Earl Grey (with milk).  But it has to be a really good quality Earl Grey like Twinnings.

I would be interested in the favourite teas of other ISM forumites.

I may be getting into some hot water (arf) here with our Brit comrades and into an area that I should keep my damned uninformed new world opinions to myself (something tells me that Twinnings Earl Grey way precedes any teas us Yanks try to market), but I think Tazo has the best EG (www.tazo.com). The company has a certain West Coast trip-hip to it, but they make tasty teas nonetheless. It is all about the Bergamont. And the website is something to goof around with when you're bored...

1. Index
  2. » Project_ISM
  3. » Tea Trouble

Board footer