#26 July 14th, 2006 08:38 PM

blissed

Re: What did you spend it on?

Oh I feel a bit guilty now going off and talking about something else after you said your horse was injured. I've always had dogs as pets and know how intelligent and emotionally responsive they are and empathise with them quite strongly and I like feeding horses grass at the field gate and altho they respond to me in many ways I'm still a stranger to them. So  I suppose I don't empathise that much as I've never had one, You could obviously get quite fond of a horse but it's quite a large animal that you have to control, so your relationship must be slightly different to that of a pet dog. or is it really.

#27 July 15th, 2006 02:48 PM

kitkat

blissed wrote:

You've got a wonderful sense of style with the old car in the garden and the gas mask handbag. I'd love  to grow some of my own organic food but I just can't be assed smile Actually my quite reasonable excuse is I've got an old house in England that is built close to an old water powered iron foundry, so the ground may be contaminated with spoils like lead.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/matahari.htm
http://www.crimelibrary.com/spies/mata_hari/
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/mata-hari.htm

the story of Mata hari looks quite interesting. I think she had many lovers who were officers who confided in her, so she had the information she could sell to make her a double agent.

Above links are just taken from this google search http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= … arch&meta=

thanks blissed.  Much appreciated.. I'm in the process of writing a performance about her, it's kind of a demystifying of the femme fatale, as an actual historical figure and as myth. I want to realign women's rightful place as being aligned with death, to strip it of its historical hysteria and to find the compassion and positive reality associated with it.  If we can't love death can we really love life? I also feel a need to clear her name!  Strange the things we become obsessed by..

#28 July 15th, 2006 02:58 PM

kitkat

I've had experience with both..  but a more personal relationship with a dog, my lovely penny died a couple of years ago now.  She had a vocabulary and active understanding of about 30 words and phrases, but the thing that really surprised me was the day i looked at her and told her she could lead and pick the path.  She looked me straight in the eye and set off in a totally different direction to where I'd been headed, looked back at me to see that i was following and off we went on her adventure. It was a whole new phase in our relationship.  She understood many things and by my experience with horses I know that their intelligence is on a similar level. Animals understand so  much more about life and relationships and nature then we really give them credit for, they have much wisdom and a sense of humour too. My cat is also amazing and an incredible emotional support to all sorts of people. She has a knack for kindness and affection towards those who are really upset. She also understands the phenomenon of mirrors and shadows, which according to Lacan is something reserved for humans and apes...  It shits me how scientific theory has restricted human observation to the point of "anectdotal evidence", and does not adequately credit people's wisdom..

#29 July 15th, 2006 08:01 PM

alyce

blissed wrote:

Oh I feel a bit guilty now going off and talking about something else after you said your horse was injured. I've always had dogs as pets and know how intelligent and emotionally responsive they are and empathise with them quite strongly and I like feeding horses grass at the field gate and altho they respond to me in many ways I'm still a stranger to them. So  I suppose I don't empathise that much as I've never had one, You could obviously get quite fond of a horse but it's quite a large animal that you have to control, so your relationship must be slightly different to that of a pet dog. or is it really.

It is, and then it isn't.  Each horse, like each dog, is an individual, and some you'll bond with more than others. I guess the thing about horses is that the relationship involves more trust than with your average dog.  Every time you go out on a ride you put your life in the hands of your horse, to a certain degree, and vice versa.  If you can't communicate, if you have no trust, things can get messy.

Time too.  My old man (the one in my folio) has been with me for over 8 years.  He's a grumpy old fool, but, there's something between us. My life's ambition is to have my own property so I can wake up and see him outside my window every morning before he passes on.  And just to be able to have him around so I don't have to drive so far every time I need to talk to him (you know how dogs are good listeners - this horse beats them all) and so he's just there because havign him around makes me feel good, watching him graze and roll and gallop around enjoying himself and knowing that without each other, neither of us would still be here makes me happy, because if I've done one thing in my life right, it was giving him the chance to live, whether he was deemed worthy or not.

Sorry, I'm rambling.  Can you tell I'm passionate about my horses? lol.

(PS - i think my old man enjoyed being in my photoshoot - he hadn't been sat on in over 6 months and is a handful at the best of times, but really took to the shooting!)

#30 July 17th, 2006 07:37 AM

alisha_x

I am a complete animal person so Im really glad hes ok (I grew up with 6 cats and a german shepard dog in ground floor flat conversion and don't feel a house is a home without an animal or three).

I have always tended to more independant animals - cats especially as they are happy to be left to their own devices while I'm at college etc - rather than complete pack animals like dogs - horses as well i love (although I dont see myself fitting one in my room) my mum did horseriding for a bit when i was very young and even in that short time i saw horses have so much personality and independance and even a sense of humour.

Most people don't think they have humour but they do things like use their weight to trap u against the wall of the stable when u try to get out there's no doubt they think its terribly funny!!!

Same with my cat - well he's just malicous and jealous - if im paying too much attention to someone on the sofa he bites them as soon as im not looking or he goes and pulls books off my bookshelves! bastard always puts me off what im doing - but hes so cute i always forgive him - the girlfriend isnt so pleased though lol!

Kisses,

Alisha

Xxx

http://www.alishax.com

#31 July 17th, 2006 12:07 PM

alyce

Oh, the sense of humour.

My pony, who I have given to a little girl to ride while I am at uni, likes to steal your hat off your head and run around with you chasing him.  You can see the laughter in his eyes as he runs around, always just out of reach the little bugger.

#32 July 18th, 2006 07:04 AM

blissed

I got intimidated out of a field by some horses when I was kid smile

kitkat wrote:

I've had experience with both..  but a more personal relationship with a dog, my lovely penny died a couple of years ago now.  She had a vocabulary and active understanding of about 30 words and phrases, but the thing that really surprised me was the day i looked at her and told her she could lead and pick the path.  She looked me straight in the eye and set off in a totally different direction to where I'd been headed, looked back at me to see that i was following and off we went on her adventure. It was a whole new phase in our relationship.  She understood many things and by my experience with horses I know that their intelligence is on a similar level. Animals understand so  much more about life and relationships and nature then we really give them credit for, they have much wisdom and a sense of humour too. My cat is also amazing and an incredible emotional support to all sorts of people. She has a knack for kindness and affection towards those who are really upset. She also understands the phenomenon of mirrors and shadows, which according to Lacan is something reserved for humans and apes...  It shits me how scientific theory has restricted human observation to the point of "anectdotal evidence", and does not adequately credit people's wisdom..

Yeah the term 'anecdotal evidence' is used to discredit isn't it. I think if you collect enough anecdotes you have a credible body of evidence. Just ask the police smile I don't know why that method of enquiry isn't applied to scientific study. Perhaps it is sometimes.

Anyway, I liked the 2 dogs my mum and dad had. One was fearless on the lead when I was there to restrain him but off the lead, if there was any trouble, he'd come running to me and stand behind me : ) and the other one, oneday when I took them both for a walk we came back another route and had to cross a tiny brook with water about an inch deep.. I stepped over it and fearless made it across but Robby didn't want to get his feet wet so he looked around and saw a road bridge 200 yards away and tootled off in that direction. I shouted at him like crazy because he might get run over but he ignored me and crossed the bridge and in 2 mins he was standing next to me sniffing the ground. If your only disability was that you couldn't use your hands properly so you weren't dextrous and you couldn't talk, your behaviour wouldn't differ that much from other animals and certainly not from other apes.
By chance a few days ago I found a great pic to illustrate that.

chimpsmellrosesmb9.jpg

Alyce I think it's great your keeping an old horse without riding it. I never thought about anyone doing that.

#33 July 18th, 2006 10:40 AM

alyce

blissed wrote:

Alyce I think it's great your keeping an old horse without riding it. I never thought about anyone doing that.

oh, I will ride him again when I have time, he's 18, but he'll be going many more years, he's started going a bit grey and is harder to keep weight on now, but he still behaves like he's 2.  He'll stay with me until the end though, when he can't be ridden he'll still have a home.  I never understood people who sell their oldies, knowing full well their chances of the retirement they deserve is unlikely.  If it meant I could not have another horse and couldn't ride, I still would let him live out his retirement in comfort.  I would love to take on all the forgotten oldies out there and give them the love and thanks they deserve in their final years.

#34 July 18th, 2006 03:50 PM

aurorya

I spent it on a really nice dinner with my partner, and I paid a bill.  SOunds boring but I hadn't really contributed financially to relationship excepting a one-time (rather large) lump sum I came to Australia with.  Plus it was I who made the gas bill really high by making the house toasty when I was home alone.  So I paid it in cash and felt really proud!

Hahaha and the sushi was great.

#35 July 18th, 2006 03:51 PM

aurorya

And wow, this thread seems to have gotten WAY off topic very quickly.  Maybe I shouldn't have posted.

#36 July 18th, 2006 08:45 PM

alisha_x

haha - yeah this shud be renamed the animal thread smile good to know our ISM girls can use their gas heating to the full though aurorya - the warmer it is the less clothes you need on!

alyce - i know what u mean about retirement for horses - its usually not - they are such lovely company and even an old horse can be useful (if a pet has to be useful) as they can keep some of the younger ones in line and keep the horse you are riding company smile

Take care!

Kisses,

Alisha

Xxx

#37 July 19th, 2006 10:04 AM

blissed

Hey welcome to the forum aurorya  it's a nice surprise to see you here smile I had the gas cut off when I went over to buying my electricity from renewable sources. At least I hope it comes from renewable sources smile I'm paying extra for it. I think it's just a case of having to trust them. Actually the company I'm with said I can get a £60 a year rebate if they supply me with both gas and electricity so I rang them and said my gas is cut off and they said it doesn't matter, theres no standing charge, So I signed  a gas supply  contract even though my gas is cut off smile and I get a rebate for doing that. It's obvious whats going on, I think the people who answer the phone are paid for the number of people they sign up to a dual supply so I get £60 for free in Jan. Oh and another thing happened too somebody rang me up and said if I borrow £3000 I can get it interest free for 6 months, so I did and thats in the bank and I get the interest on that in Jan as well. Sometimes you just fall backwards into money without trying don't you smile it's great!!! smile

#38 July 20th, 2006 06:16 AM

alisha_x

I would love to fall backwards into money! preferably a room of gold coins so I could swim around like the this http://www.vegalleries.com/disclassics/ … crooge.jpg LOL

Kisses,

Alisha

Xxx

#39 July 20th, 2006 10:10 AM

paintjam

aurorya wrote:

I spent it on a really nice dinner with my partner, and I paid a bill.  SOunds boring but I hadn't really contributed financially to relationship excepting a one-time (rather large) lump sum I came to Australia with.  Plus it was I who made the gas bill really high by making the house toasty when I was home alone.  So I paid it in cash and felt really proud!

Hahaha and the sushi was great.

greetings aurorya....;)
jamie

'stay beautiful'

#40 October 14th, 2006 07:49 PM

perl

perl wrote:

Hopefully soon I will be able to brag about what the Art Prize got me. Very excited about that one - a big treat big_smile

OK, so it wasn't soon, but here I am with pics of it finally. My gorgeous Creations l'Escarpolette corset that I got with the Art Prize money. I love it to bits. It is gorgeous and so comfortable (and hence I can make my waist teeny in it).

black_brocade2.jpg

So thanks ISM for liking my folio smile

#41 October 14th, 2006 09:37 PM

paintjam

perl wrote:

OK, so it wasn't soon, but here I am with pics of it finally. My gorgeous Creations l'Escarpolette corset that I got with the Art Prize money. I love it to bits. It is gorgeous and so comfortable (and hence I can make my waist teeny in it).

black_brocade2.jpg

So thanks ISM for liking my folio smile

can't wait for you to be awarded with your 2nd prize my dear...;)
(hmmm that would mean another shoot would it not?)

luv
jamie

'stay beautiful'

#42 October 15th, 2006 02:22 AM

Stoneyyy

That waist does not look healthy

#43 October 15th, 2006 03:51 AM

blissed

That looks gorgeous!! smile I agree it can't be too healthy to wear for a long time but I'd view it as more like a bondage garment and has that sort of extreme effect. I think with a long black satin skirt, it would look fabulous!! smile

#44 October 25th, 2006 11:11 AM

alyce

Just gorgeous perl!

Board footer