1. Index
  2. » Project_ISM
  3. » Beirut

#1 May 28th, 2006 03:45 PM

catt

Beirut

Am listening to a wonderful song called Mount Wroclai by a new-ish band called Beirut.  I suggest you all go download it, stat!  Then go buy the album, because music piracy is illegal and wrong. 

Blissed, I think you might enjoy this too.

(Beirut has an ex-member of my favourite band (Neutral Milk Hotel) in it, hence the attraction...)

xxCattxx

the beauty of simplicity is the complexity it attracts.

#2 May 28th, 2006 08:50 PM

paintjam

Re: Beirut

catt wrote:

Am listening to a wonderful song called Mount Wroclai by a new-ish band called Beirut.  I suggest you all go download it, stat!  Then go buy the album, because music piracy is illegal and wrong. 

(Beirut has an ex-member of my favourite band (Neutral Milk Hotel) in it, hence the attraction...)

xxCattxx

i love music.

'stay beautiful'

#3 May 29th, 2006 03:25 AM

jackscratch

catt wrote:

xxCattxx

Hey Missy...do you have a link to the site to download?? Always looking for good new music for the iPoodle...and since I know not either one of the bands that you reference, my curiosity is piqued. Not unusual in my dealings with you, my dear...

#4 May 29th, 2006 04:45 AM

thylacine

catt wrote:

xxCattxx

Catt what you are talking about is unauthorised copying, not piracy. Piracy is the theft of physical goods, not intellectual property, often involving extreme violence. Such as the murder of an entire ship's crew, so that the cargo and the ship itself can be stolen. Something that happens quite often in the waters to the north of Australia. The people that first called downloading piracy were the record companies. Who, with their long history of ripping off their own artists and much other criminal activity, could better be called pirates themselves!

Far from harming a band, downloading music for free could be to the band's benefit in the long term. The problem every band has is getting their music heard. If someone sends an MP3 to their friends, the music is at least likely to get heard. And with any luck those friends will spread the band's music further in a viral fashion. Then, human nature being what it is, some of those people are going to want the music in a physical form. So the band likely chalks up extra album sales. Sales that wouldn't have happened without downloading.

#5 May 29th, 2006 02:01 PM

blissed

catt thats an interesting track. I think the song sounds a bit like Muse, but with a very different sound. I'd recommend getting the album just for the cover smile short skirts and dresses are the best at showing off a pair of legs  and hers are beautiful.
If you want to hear the song in full
Go here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor … Id=5382657 Click under the headline ' A Young Man Simulates an Old World' to hear a realplayer file. I think the video for it should be shot in a sad and waisted gangsta part of Newyork or LA. Showing that culture with a completely different sort of music would be quite interesting.

thylacine,  New bands  can put a flash music player on their site and the music can be heard immediately.  http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash+MP3+Player If they also add a link to iTunes, people who like it can just pay a few pence for it.

#6 May 30th, 2006 10:18 PM

gtrvox

thylacine wrote:

Catt what you are talking about is unauthorised copying, not piracy. Piracy is the theft of physical goods, not intellectual property, often involving extreme violence. Such as the murder of an entire ship's crew, so that the cargo and the ship itself can be stolen. Something that happens quite often in the waters to the north of Australia. The people that first called downloading piracy were the record companies. Who, with their long history of ripping off their own artists and much other criminal activity, could better be called pirates themselves!

Far from harming a band, downloading music for free could be to the band's benefit in the long term. The problem every band has is getting their music heard. If someone sends an MP3 to their friends, the music is at least likely to get heard. And with any luck those friends will spread the band's music further in a viral fashion. Then, human nature being what it is, some of those people are going to want the music in a physical form. So the band likely chalks up extra album sales. Sales that wouldn't have happened without downloading.

While I agree that "piracy" is too strong a term, as a professional musician who makes his living from playing gigs and selling CD's at gigs and through my website, I disagree with your premise. It should always be left up to the individual musician or band whether and how he/she wants their music distributed. In the case of illegal downloading, the musician is never asked for permission. That's what makes it theft. I would not want my songs to be distributed for free, even if it meant extra publicity. You may question the wisdom of my decision but it is my decision and no one has the right to take my property (intellectual property, in this instance) without my permission or without paying for it. On the other hand, if a band or a musician has no problem with this practice, then, naturally, there's nothing wrong with downloading their tunes. I think this point always gets lost in the argument: it's not about what you as the consumer of the final product think of big record companies; it's about whether each individual artists is OK with you downloading their music for free. I doubt that many people go into the trouble of finding out.  It may not be piracy but it's definitely theft.

#7 May 31st, 2006 09:08 AM

blissed

I second that.

#8 May 31st, 2006 11:14 AM

catt

jackscratch wrote:

Hey Missy...do you have a link to the site to download?? Always looking for good new music for the iPoodle...and since I know not either one of the bands that you reference, my curiosity is piqued. Not unusual in my dealings with you, my dear...

Hey Mister...Blissed has thoughtfully provided a link a bit lower down on the thread (I'm a bit crappy at such things, and tend to use Limewire for downloads - or have songs sent by friends via email).  Not sure if this song is everyone's cup of tea, but if you do like it, I suggest a bit of Decemberists as a side dish (try their song Leslie Anne Levine, for starters).   If not, then blame Russia.

xxCattxx

#9 May 31st, 2006 11:24 AM

catt

thylacine wrote:

Hey there Thylacine - it's been a while since we've seen you pique up in here!  Welcome back.

My comment was very much tongue-in-cheek, for as far as I'm concerned it's about as legal to download music online as it is to record your favourite program off the telly, or make a friend a mix tape of music that's not your own (both apparently 'illegal', both totally ignored by everyone since forever - how can you enforce such a law?).  It's such a grey area, but personally I justify it for the following reason;

I've bought more albums due to downloading than I have by listening to the radio, or watching music shows on the telly, often based on the value of just one song.  That's pretty much the crux of it.  I would never  have heard NMH (my favourite band) if not for online downloading - and now I've purchased all of their albums, including rarities that I've had to order online (they're not so big here in Australia, and since they're no longer together, kinda hard to find).  Similarily with other bands - The Decemberists, Beirut, The Arcade Fire, Badly Drawn Boy, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and the list goes on and on.  I've spent more on these artists due to a singular download than I would if I'd never bothered to go and hear them elsewhere.  I also make a lot of mixed CDs for friends in America - Melbourne band Augie March had an extra 5 people at their concert in Chicago due to the music of theirs that I'd sent to friends.  Electric Six had an extra 2 people at their recent concert in the MidWest due to my sending their music online (these friends also purchased CDs, t-shirts, etc).  I know it's 'theft', 'piracy', etc, according to those who believe they are missing out on the moneymaking side of it (ie: big companies), but  this is how the world is shifting in relation to music, film, etc.  And from my view of things, it's for the better - after all, if I hear a recommendation about an artist (new or old), I actually *can* go and hear their music, instead of putting the recommendation on the back burner and eventually forgetting about it.

I know you weren't challenging these ideals Thylacine, but I'm kinda answering all issues brought up by this thread in just one hit. 

xxCattxx

#10 May 31st, 2006 11:26 AM

catt

blissed wrote:

catt thats an interesting track. I think the song sounds a bit like Muse, but with a very different sound. I'd recommend getting the album just for the cover smile short skirts and dresses are the best at showing off a pair of legs  and hers are beautiful.
If you want to hear the song in full
Go here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor … Id=5382657 Click under the headline ' A Young Man Simulates an Old World' to hear a realplayer file. I think the video for it should be shot in a sad and waisted gangsta part of Newyork or LA. Showing that culture with a completely different sort of music would be quite interesting.

thylacine,  New bands  can put a flash music player on their site and the music can be heard immediately.  http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash+MP3+Player If they also add a link to iTunes, people who like it can just pay a few pence for it.

If you like accordians, and rustic bohemian shanty-type stylings, then it's for you - it's a bit different, I guess, but who doesn't need more drinking music on their iTunes shuffle?  And I love Muse - they have a new album due out soon, too, which I'm very much looking forward to.

And thanks for providing the link hon - you always show up with the goods.

xxCattxx

1. Index
  2. » Project_ISM
  3. » Beirut

Board footer