#1 February 18th, 2009 08:02 PM

miss

Are women objects that men need to action?

I was reading the paper at work today and came across this bizarre article.

Researchers had done brain scans of men while looking at pictures of sexy women.  The brain scans indicated that the part of a man's brain that was activated when they saw sexy women was the same part that was activated when they saw a power tool!

In essence they were saying that men see sexy pictures of women as objects that need to be actioned!!!

Now I am no power tool and I certainly do not like to be considered as something for a man to action!!!

Men?? Is this really true when you see sexy images of women?

the ever astounded miss x

#2 February 18th, 2009 11:45 PM

Dags56

Re: Are women objects that men need to action?

I would disagree with this study for sure.  I do not get an erection when playing with a power tool unless using it on my partner, but that is a different type of tool.  It would be interesting to know if the men in the study were into woodworking and if they tested them when they watched sports and what kind of reaction that that did to the brain.  I do not think that you ladies have anything to worry about as you can never be thought of as a power tool because you are all unique and forever beautiful.

#3 February 19th, 2009 05:55 AM

perl

Well, I am powerful and can be dangerous when operated incorrectly.

#4 February 19th, 2009 08:27 AM

Dags56

I am sure if the right buttons are pushed you can do an outstanding job/

#5 February 19th, 2009 10:05 AM

blissed

Our libido and conscious mind have separate functions and you can't judge people as being all of one mind.

In both sexes the subconscious involuntary libido sees good looking people we don't know as high value objects that catch our eye and our conscious mind responds to emotion. The 2 are largely separate when you see a stranger but merge together the better you know someone until very often emotion activates the libido into LOOOOOVE!!! :) For me my emotions engage a split second after someone attractive has caught my eye and I make an emotional judgement about what kind of partner they would be, even if there's a snowball in hells chance of that happening :) Lol

#6 February 19th, 2009 12:26 PM

jette

this is interesting. i'd say more often than not, it's me looking at my boyfriend, then down to his pants thinking there is an object i'd like to 'action' tongue

#7 February 20th, 2009 03:46 PM

bathory

I get turned on by power tools. maybe I fall into that category as well.

Bathory loves Black metal, long haired men, blast beats and schofferhoffer

#8 February 20th, 2009 05:50 PM

miss

I wonder what women's brain's would show if scanned when they look at pictures of sexy men???

Perhaps the area of the brain that needs to rearrange, reorganise and fix is activated!!!!

#9 February 23rd, 2009 09:15 PM

paintjam

Men are truly ruled by their overpowering hormones and their parts.  Sex.  more sex.  Thinking of sex when working with any tools.  more sex.  Thinking of sex when doing ANYTHING.  more sex.

'stay beautiful'

#10 February 24th, 2009 07:32 AM

blissed

Thats ^ a sexist comment if ever I saw one. Both sexes have sex as a priority but the social norm is that women allure and men must make the first move, so what your observing is the effect of male insecurity and simply all the failed moves. Moves that if your a woman you usually don't make. There's no reason why women shouldn't make the 1st move but they usually don't.

Anyway there's nothing wrong with anyone whatever sex they are thinking about sex, those are really nice pleasurable thoughts.

Last edited by blissed (February 24th, 2009 07:53 AM)

#11 February 24th, 2009 07:44 PM

perl

paintjam wrote:

Men are truly ruled by their overpowering hormones and their parts.  Sex.  more sex.  Thinking of sex when working with any tools.  more sex.  Thinking of sex when doing ANYTHING.  more sex.

I don't believe that for one second. I mean, I have met men for whom that is certainly the case, but I have mostly been involved with those who think of sex a lot less than I do.

#12 February 25th, 2009 10:46 AM

bathory

perl wrote:
paintjam wrote:

I don't believe that for one second. I mean, I have met men for whom that is certainly the case, but I have mostly been involved with those who think of sex a lot less than I do.

Amen.

#13 February 25th, 2009 11:47 AM

_gethsemane_

I think/talk about/have sex more than most guys I know...

#14 February 26th, 2009 09:20 AM

Folly

Another way to look at your question miss, is that perhaps women are also seen as objects to be aquired or consumed, just as powertools are for men.  Something they wish to have in their possession.  Now I'm not really saying that just men are guilty of this objectifying consumerism.  Perhaps women also have the reaction with things they like to shop for.  I'm not going to say shoes because this is not sex and the city.

#15 February 28th, 2009 10:13 PM

Head
Administrator

miss wrote:

Researchers had done brain scans of men while looking at pictures of sexy women.  The brain scans indicated that the part of a man's brain that was activated when they saw sexy women was the same part that was activated when they saw a power tool!

In essence they were saying that men see sexy pictures of women as objects that need to be actioned!!!

That's a leap of logic that might sell papers, but it doesn't follow any more than, say:

"Researchers had done brain scans of women while looking at pictures of sexy men.  The brain scans indicated that the part of a woman's brain that was activated when they saw sexy men was the same part that was activated when they saw shoes. 

In essence they were saying that women see sexy pictures of men as objects that need to be stepped on."

#16 March 2nd, 2009 01:01 PM

bathory

Head wrote:
miss wrote:

That's a leap of logic that might sell papers, but it doesn't follow any more than, say:

"Researchers had done brain scans of women while looking at pictures of sexy men.  The brain scans indicated that the part of a woman's brain that was activated when they saw sexy men was the same part that was activated when they saw shoes. 

In essence they were saying that women see sexy pictures of men as objects that need to be stepped on."

Hahahahaha
Brilliant

#17 March 3rd, 2009 08:02 PM

miss

I really like the shoes post and the very hilarious extrapolation to objects that need to be stepped on :-)

Loved it!

Board footer