#1 September 24th, 2008 08:04 PM

perl

hypothetical dinner party thread

I am absolutely determined to resurrect this forum! I have been trying to think of highly interesting threads to post to lure people into posting but I have been failing miserably.
I think what we need here is more silliness. There's only so many times we can rehash the shaved vs hairy argument and there are plenty of threads discussing people's reasons for shooting themselves.

I want to know, in detail:
if you were having a dinner party and you had to invite a fictional character, a current or ex leader of your country, a being of religious significance, an ancestor of yours and someone who regularly appears in trashy gossip magazines, which people/creatures/beings would you invite and what food would you serve.

Be prepared to answer further questions on this hypothetical dinner party.

big_smile

perl

#2 September 25th, 2008 09:40 PM

Paulie

Re: hypothetical dinner party thread

Great Idea Perl,

I too am keen to see this forum back to its former glory.
I am happy to be first to reply to your post.  It needed a great deal of thought, but here are my answers.

To my dinner party I would invite:

Fictional character: Lisa Simpsons of "The Simpsons" A visionary who wants to change the world.

Current or Ex leader of Australia: Current Leader Kevin Rudd - he's got some fresh ideas.

Being of religious significance:  Dalai Lama - The greatest prophet of our time.

Ancestor:  My Grandfather Jack.  I never met him but know he was a man of honour.

Trashy/gossip mags: Britney Spears - I loved the Mouskateers.

Food - well Lisa Simpson wouldn't turn up if it wasn't vegetarian.  So Gourmet vegetarian with the best fruits, vegetables and dishes from throught the world with an emphasis on spice curries.

How's that for a dinner party?

#3 September 27th, 2008 06:29 PM

LeoBloom

perl wrote:

I am absolutely determined to resurrect this forum!

I wish you luck, Perl. I don't know how it happened, or why, but this forum used to be a fascinating place, and if you go back a couple of years you can find loads of fascinating stuff.
Perhaps those who wanted to be serious went over to Ifeelmyself, and, left unchecked, they became offputtingly solemn for some of us. Those who liked drooling over the chicks are drooling away over at Abbeywinters. So what should we be doing exactly? We used to have the trick of it, and the forum was full of open, funny, thought-provoking discussion. Then we lost it.

#4 September 27th, 2008 08:49 PM

Tecky1970

Initially, I'm thinking Sarah Michelle Geller:  clearly we would have to have a barbeque, with lots of cold finger food, dips and chips on the side etc., but the main constituent would have to be steak...:)

#5 September 28th, 2008 04:47 AM

perl

LeoBloom wrote:
perl wrote:

I am absolutely determined to resurrect this forum!

I wish you luck, Perl. I don't know how it happened, or why, but this forum used to be a fascinating place, and if you go back a couple of years you can find loads of fascinating stuff.
Perhaps those who wanted to be serious went over to Ifeelmyself, and, left unchecked, they became offputtingly solemn for some of us. Those who liked drooling over the chicks are drooling away over at Abbeywinters. So what should we be doing exactly? We used to have the trick of it, and the forum was full of open, funny, thought-provoking discussion. Then we lost it.

I'm not demanding thought-provoking, just some random chat with a side helping of banter would do. If we all just make the effort I'm sure we can do it!
(That sounds so very chirpy for me. I guess the drugs are working big_smile )

#6 September 28th, 2008 04:49 AM

perl

Paulie wrote:

Great Idea Perl,

I too am keen to see this forum back to its former glory.
I am happy to be first to reply to your post.  It needed a great deal of thought, but here are my answers.

Fictional character: Lisa Simpsons of "The Simpsons" A visionary who wants to change the world.

Current or Ex leader of Australia: Current Leader Kevin Rudd - he's got some fresh ideas.

Being of religious significance:  Dalai Lama - The greatest prophet of our time.

Ancestor:  My Grandfather Jack.  I never met him but know he was a man of honour.

Trashy/gossip mags: Britney Spears - I loved the Mouskateers.

Food - well Lisa Simpson wouldn't turn up if it wasn't vegetarian.  So Gourmet vegetarian with the best fruits, vegetables and dishes from throught the world with an emphasis on spice curries.

How's that for a dinner party?

Lisa Simpson is a good one! Impressed.
I feel kinda sorry for Britney. I have this feeling she might be feeling a bit out of her depth in such company!
Now, what is the seating plan for this dinner party and what music would you have playing in the background?

#7 September 28th, 2008 04:51 AM

perl

Tecky1970 wrote:

Initially, I'm thinking Sarah Michelle Geller:  clearly we would have to have a barbeque, with lots of cold finger food, dips and chips on the side etc., but the main constituent would have to be steak...:)

A barbeque with Buffy sounds delightful. You inviting anybody else?

#8 September 29th, 2008 01:45 AM

Tecky1970

Well Perl, with so much on the table (and I do like a nice buffet), I might just need to take a walk around the garden and let things settle, before I add anyone else to the party.  I will let you know soonest. T.

#9 October 1st, 2008 06:02 PM

liquid

After much thought this is who I'd invite:
Fictional character: Capt Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek TNG. Everything a leader should be, and my fave Star Trek captain.
Ex leader of my county: Pierre Elliot Trudeau. Perhaps the most charismatic PM Canada ever had.
Being of religious significance: Mother Theresa.
Ancestor: My great uncle Alec who died at the end of WW2. I've only heard my brother was named after him so it would be cool to meet him.
Gossip mags: Angelina Jolie. Beautiful, and does so much work for charities.
There's an eclectic group, eh?
Food would be Italian....various pastas, pizza, breads and wines.
Music playing would be classical Mozart or  Beethoven- timeless in it's appeal.

#10 October 2nd, 2008 06:31 PM

perl

liquid wrote:

After much thought this is who I'd invite:
Fictional character: Capt Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek TNG. Everything a leader should be, and my fave Star Trek captain.
Ex leader of my county: Pierre Elliot Trudeau. Perhaps the most charismatic PM Canada ever had.
Being of religious significance: Mother Theresa.
Ancestor: My great uncle Alec who died at the end of WW2. I've only heard my brother was named after him so it would be cool to meet him.
Gossip mags: Angelina Jolie. Beautiful, and does so much work for charities.
There's an eclectic group, eh?
Food would be Italian....various pastas, pizza, breads and wines.
Music playing would be classical Mozart or  Beethoven- timeless in it's appeal.

If I had Jean Luc Picard at my dinner party I wouldn't play any music at all...I'd just listen to him talk and swoon big_smile

#11 October 3rd, 2008 07:44 PM

liquid

Well, as Picard is partial to classical music, if I had it playing he might be more inclined to grant me a tour of the Enterprise which I would totally ask for. Imagine seeing all that cool technology first hand.

So, Perl, now I'm interested to hear who would be at your dinner party?

#12 October 4th, 2008 05:58 PM

perl

Hmmm...I should really have been prepared to answer this one, but actually I had to go away and think about it.

Fictional character: River Tam - I'm hoping that it'll be a nice, relaxed get together where she won't be troubled by negative emotions from those around her. Also she can kick the arse of any uninvited guests and I'm hoping there'll be dancing later.

Current or ex leader of NZ: I'll invite the current leader, Helen Clark. I think she'll appreciate the opportunity for a lighthearted shindig to release some of her pre election stress.

Being of religious significance: Ganesha. Seems like a good sort, will get on well with my pet rat and has several hands to lend when it comes to cleaning up.

Ancestor: my great great great grandmother on my mother's side. She who was sent home from India in disgrace. I'm sure she'd have a story or two to tell.

Trashy magazine person: Robert Downey Jnr. Cute, funny and knows how to party.

I'm thinking it will be a Sunday early evening event in the Summer.
I'll get a couple of loaves of my favourite sourdough bread, one full of grains and seeds, the other white. I'll slice them up and lay out a picnic blanket on the lawn and  get out all sorts of fabulous cheeses, fruits, vegetables, spreads, condiments and other miscellaneous sandwich fillings (including green onion chips and hundreds and thousands) and we will proceed to making elaborate and inventive sandwiches which we will share with each other. We'll also be drinking frozen fruit margaritas (lychee, pear, raspberry, mandarin).
When we're done eating we'll sprawl out for a nap in the last of the day's sunlight before gathering up the dishes and leftovers and heading inside where we'll play Rock Band.

#13 October 15th, 2008 09:05 AM

lea

Fictional character: Dracula. i liked the book.

Current or Ex leader of Australia: john howard. i think we'd need some one for Dracula to get along with.

Being of religious significance:  Gandhi. i think he had the right idea.

Ancestor:  my g/g/g/g grandmum. i'm sure she was an ok bird

Trashy/gossip mags: Paris!! she'd get a party started.

Food - well seeing the first too are looked after i'd kook up a vegetarian currie fest. with roti and yogurts and mango chutney!
it'd be strange wouldn't it?

Board footer