#1 April 4th, 2007 05:32 PM

neewollah

Download managers

Hi people,

I don't have time to browse through the folios online, so I've been trying to download the zips to later view them.

Unfortunately that is basically the same as viewing the folios online, as I can only have two simultaneous downloads.

I've been trying to use a download manager, but all of them seem to have trouble with ISM. The one I've had some success with, IDM, sometimes works, but as of now, everytime I click on "donwload zip", my browser, IE, gets logged out.
Its just way too much of a hasle to log in to click on a different "download zip" and do the same for every zip I want to download.

Right now I've cancelled my ISM membership, but I would like to renew it, and I would also like to subscribe to ifeelmyself, but if the site won't allow download managers, I'm not paying for it.

Is there a known download manager, guaranteed to work with ISM, or are download managers forbiden on ISM?

#2 April 5th, 2007 03:00 AM

turtleman

Re: Download managers

I'm using Mozilla Firefox. I am able to download at least 5 zips at the same time.

What are you using? Dial up? DSL? Cable?

I have cable at home and it's the fastest. I'm in New jersey, USA.

peter

#3 April 5th, 2007 05:17 AM

silvatek

When I was on a dial-up (much the same download speeds as I'm getting now on broadband) I wanted to use a download manager. But because of the way ISM sets up the downloads, it is not possible.  Their clever technique precludes scheduling downloads for overnight, for example.

I corresponded with ISM at the time to try and find a way round it, but they weren't interested.  So I cancelled.

The one download manager which I could get to work to work was Download Accelerator Plus (DAP).  Shame about all the ads, though.

#4 April 5th, 2007 11:21 PM

Head
Administrator

We don't do anything to prevent the use of download managers.  However if you set up one to 'bleed' the site and download everything, your account will be shut down.   This is because downlaod managers can't tell the diff between a Zip and the pictures so it takes both - and all 3 versions of each video.  Nobody needs to donwlaod 2 or 3 copies of everything.

#5 April 6th, 2007 06:25 AM

silvatek

Head wrote:

We don't do anything to prevent the use of download managers. /snip/

No - but the techniques used to link to the zipped folios is a bit too obscure for download managers as the target isn't straightforward.  I use Fresh Download and it thinks the download link is a web page - which it is as it's all PHP code and symbolic substitutions.  DAP manages to interpret the PHP to an extent, but only via Internet Explorer.  It won't work with Firefox.  I think that's because it needs the BHO functionality to interpret the destination path on the server.

The MPG video links do work with download managers, but you have to change the downloaded file name and extension from "vid" to whatever.mpg.

#6 April 6th, 2007 06:33 AM

turtleman

Why make it all so complicated? All you have to do is click on the Download Zip button and then on to the next, etc.

I think oneself in the best manager.

#7 April 6th, 2007 03:17 PM

SCSIgirl

turtleman wrote:

Why make it all so complicated? All you have to do is click on the Download Zip button and then on to the next, etc.

Exactly.  The pipe is only so big.  Only so much data can go down at once.  Why dl 10 files at 1/10 the speed?

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#8 April 6th, 2007 07:10 PM

SugarDaddy

#9 April 6th, 2007 08:11 PM

silvatek

SCSIgirl wrote:

Exactly.  The pipe is only so big.  Only so much data can go down at once.  Why dl 10 files at 1/10 the speed?

Please don't misunderstand me. We're all coming from different points of view here. It's all very subjective.

Now I'm on broadband, I no longer need a download manager (as long as the download speed remains good).  When I was on a dial-up, a download manager was essential in order to schedule automated overnight downloads. Otherwise I'd be waiting forever.  I also got free dial-up time at night, so it made sense.

I think that's enough on this topic.  smile

#10 April 7th, 2007 12:49 AM

turtleman

You're right. Sorry for the misunderstanding and getting you riled.

wink

#11 April 9th, 2007 01:24 AM

silvatek

turtleman wrote:

You're right. Sorry for the misunderstanding and getting you riled.

wink

Me?  Riled?  Naaaahhh!  smile

#12 April 12th, 2007 04:45 PM

neewollah

Head wrote:

We don't do anything to prevent the use of download managers.  However if you set up one to 'bleed' the site and download everything, your account will be shut down.   This is because downlaod managers can't tell the diff between a Zip and the pictures so it takes both - and all 3 versions of each video.  Nobody needs to donwlaod 2 or 3 copies of everything.

I didn't do that.

I tried Internet Download Manager, so it "catches" every time I try to download a ZIP.

And it does get them, it is able to handle how ISM links the ZIPs. However, everytime it gets the file information, Internet Explorer is logged out. So everytime I click on "download zip", IDM will intercept the download, get the file information, and IE gets logged out. So if I want to download another one, I have to log in again.

Once IDM intercepts all the downloads I want, it can download them just fine, and it only downloads the zips that I selected.

However, being that people already complained about it, and ISM doesn't seem eager to help, I think I did right cancelling.

#13 April 12th, 2007 04:48 PM

neewollah

SCSIgirl wrote:
turtleman wrote:

Because that way, the computer can download them while I'm at work, or while I'm sleeping, and I'll be able to take a look at those folios when I finally have a chance.

Without a download manager, I would have to download the zips, and then take a look at them, and most of the time I don't have either the time nor the patience to do it (so I end up downloading one or two zips, get bored waiting and thats it).

#14 April 13th, 2007 05:25 AM

turtleman

neewollah

what are you using? Dial Up? DSL? Broadband? Cable - or what?

#15 June 9th, 2007 02:46 AM

smokey777

i use opera i have D/L 20 things at once no worries its great smile plus with cable they all run at 100KB+ ususal D/L for this site is 300KB+ for a Zip

Board footer