#1 November 14th, 2006 04:03 PM

blissed

Whats your favourite hymn

Well I was gonna put some silly crap in here but looking round itunes I found
"Oh happy day" by the Edwin Hawkins singers, it's brilliant!! It's a passionate live recording of  a great song
and I've just bought it smile so taking the piss out of religion today has cost me 79p, just shows what happens
when you get on itunes and no I haven't just bought my ticket to heaven, I'm going there anyway smile

#2 November 14th, 2006 05:47 PM

perl

Re: Whats your favourite hymn

"Blest are the Pure in Heart"
Actually that's a lie, I don't like that at all but it was my school hymn and is therefore burned into my memory forever. Ahh, they would be so proud of me if they saw me here wink

#3 November 14th, 2006 06:39 PM

paintjam

blissed wrote:

"Oh happy day" by the Edwin Hawkins singers, it's brilliant!! It's a passionate live recording of  a great song
and I've just bought it smile so taking the piss out of religion today has cost me 79p, just shows what happens
when you get on itunes and no I haven't just bought my ticket to heaven, I'm going there anyway smile

mine would have to be.........(and the winner is)

#1 Crush - by Garbage

I would die for you,
I would die for you,
I've been dying just to feel you by my side, to know that you're mine.
I would cry for you,
I would cry for you,
I will wash away your pain with all my tears, and drown your fear.

ah
ah
ah
ah

I will pray for you,
I will pray for you,
I would sell my soul for some thing pure and true, someone like you.
See your face every place that I walk in,
Hear your voice every time I’m talking.
You will believe in me,
And I will never be ignored.

I would burn for you,
Feel pain for you,
I will twist the knife and bleed my aching heart,
And tear it apart.

I would lie for you,
Beg and steal for you,
I would crawl on hands and knees until you see,
You're just like me.

Violate all my love that I'm missing,
Throw away all the pain that I'm living.
You will believe in me,
And I can never be ignored.

I would die for you,
ah
ah
ah
ah

I would kill for you,

ah
ah
ah
ah

I would steal for you,

ah
ah
ah
ah

I'd do time for you.

ah
ah
ah
ah

I would wait for you.

ah
ah
ah
ah

I'd make room for you.

ah
ah
ah
ah

I'd sail ships for you to be close to you,

ah
ah
ah
ah

To be a part of you,

ah
ah
ah
ah

'cause I believe in you.

ah
ah
ah
ah

I believe in you,
I would die for you.

'stay beautiful'

#4 November 15th, 2006 04:45 AM

Belgareth

perl wrote:

"Blest are the Pure in Heart"
Actually that's a lie, I don't like that at all but it was my school hymn and is therefore burned into my memory forever. Ahh, they would be so proud of me if they saw me here wink

I know what you mean about school hymns. I got lumbered with "Onward Christian Soldiers" and I got reminded of it for years afterward by the Salvation Army singing it outside my front door at stupid o'clock on a Sunday morning!

I reckon your school SHOULD be proud of you. After all they have produced an intelligent, outgoing and totally exhibitionistic young lady :-)

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#5 November 15th, 2006 04:53 AM

Belgareth

blissed wrote:

I used to be a member of a number of amateur and semi-pro theatre groups. I mention this because one of the groups performed a rendition of the Battle Hymn of the Republic to a synopated ragtime version of the normal tune. Both the words and that particular version of the tune I now hold as one of my all-time favorites.

#6 November 15th, 2006 08:15 PM

perl

paintjam wrote:

mine would have to be.........(and the winner is)

#1 Crush - by Garbage

Chapel would've been much more interesting if we'd sung that. (Not only because Garbage hadn't been invented back then...)
The closest we got to "pop" songs was when the music teacher would announce that we were going to be singing the Gloria and our form all mouthed "G-L-O-R-I-A!" a la Them (pathetic, I know, but the teacher was far too scary for us to do it out loud).
Actually to be fair I used to attempt to play the tin whistle back when I was at school (I was a bit of a Pogues fan) and knowing a fair few hymns helped me with lots of simple tunes to practise playing when I was starting out.
As for my school being proud of me: I'm pretty sure that being "nekkid on the internet" was not one of the possible futures they were trying to groom me for wink

#7 November 17th, 2006 02:05 PM

ISM_Office

Its not a hymn but I did sing in a school choir and always loved Faure's Requiem, especially Pie Jesu (and no its not about Pies). We also sang a gorgeous Gaelic song Suo Gan. Total tongue twister, but absolutely divine. How is it all choir girls turn bad?

#8 November 17th, 2006 09:04 PM

paintjam

perl wrote:

Chapel would've been much more interesting if we'd sung that. (Not only because Garbage hadn't been invented back then...)
The closest we got to "pop" songs was when the music teacher would announce that we were going to be singing the Gloria and our form all mouthed "G-L-O-R-I-A!" a la Them (pathetic, I know, but the teacher was far too scary for us to do it out loud).
Actually to be fair I used to attempt to play the tin whistle back when I was at school (I was a bit of a Pogues fan) and knowing a fair few hymns helped me with lots of simple tunes to practise playing when I was starting out.
As for my school being proud of me: I'm pretty sure that being "nekkid on the internet" was not one of the possible futures they were trying to groom me for wink

teehee
yes and g l o r i i i i i
           g l o r i a
           GLORIA.
how about louie louie?

for what is a hymn anyway, but a song of praise or joy for a deity (or someone you would die for) wink

love patti smiths version of G L O R I A.....;)

'stay beautiful'

#9 November 26th, 2006 09:48 AM

dandy

i'd have to say the hymn, whichever one it was - ive never heard it, that the vaselines song (later covered by nirvana) Jesus Doesnt Want Me For A Sunbeam is based on.

Otherwise anything involving all that great religous stuff, you know, like god being responsible for food like KFC and wine out of a bag, and the sun and everything. Great guy, that god.

sometimes enough is not enough and i want MORE

#10 November 28th, 2006 07:25 AM

Belgareth

ISM_Office wrote:

Its not a hymn but I did sing in a school choir and always loved Faure's Requiem, especially Pie Jesu (and no its not about Pies). We also sang a gorgeous Gaelic song Suo Gan. Total tongue twister, but absolutely divine. How is it all choir girls turn bad?

How pleasing to find someone who appreciates a little of the classical style. Slade is all very well but it doesn't conjure up the same feelings.

I also have an affection for Gaelic music, both from the Scottish and the Irish camp and I adore the serenity of the Pan Pipes.

Oh - although it has little to do with religion -  Riverdance is amazing!

Board footer