#1 August 1st, 2006 09:56 AM

jackscratch

Wouldn't it be cool....

I was up in the mountains this past week, loving the summer weather, smell of the pine trees, feel of hot rocks and cold water on the skin, thin air, on and on. One morning I awoke to our dogs going absolutely insane with barking and carrying on, only to discover there was a HUGE bear right outside the cabin. Beautiful sight, it glanced over its shoulders at the dogs with a look of disdain and sauntered away.

As always, whenever I see a bear I'm awestruck, I've seen many over the years but they have so much damn power and lumbering grace in their movement.

It got me to thinking, wouldn't it be cool if there was a Reintroduce the Bear to their Native Habitat movement?...not just in the wilderness areas, but like say maybe West Hollywood? Manhattan? What about South Kensington? Surely there were once bears on the banks of the Seine?

And how cool would it be if the bears were actually integrated, not humanized, but if they hung out the way deer do in many cities?

"This morning there were reports of a bear breaking and entering into a delicatessen on West 53rd....only pastrami was taken. We believe this bear may be armed and dangerous."

"Late last night there were reports of roving bears vandalizing numerous homes in the Pacific Heights neighborhood. It is recommended that refrigerators, ice chests and picnic baskets be kept out of view."

"I don't think I want to be in that neighborhood after dark...I hear there are a lot of bears that hang out looking for trouble..."

Wouldn't that kind of change your reality if you looked out your city window and saw a bear cruising down the middle of the street?

Maybe that would give people something to focus on instead of bombing each other....

Board footer