1. Index
  2. » Project_ISM
  3. » Fathers

#1 June 18th, 2006 10:49 AM

jackscratch

Fathers

After the less than overwhelming response to my knickers posting I'll reckon to try to behave and post something a bit more inclusive here ;-) SO in honor of what is soon to be FATHERS DAY here in the States I just want to say:

1. Happy Day to all you papas out there. It's a tough though absolutely incredible adventure...I can say so cuz I am one. Keep up the good work and don't foget to breathe. And give your pops a call if you haven't done so yet and tell him that you appreciate his hard work (or not...depending upon you rviews).

2. Here's a question: in your belief system, what makes a good father? Warmth? Compassion? Firmness? Stalwart? Funny? Adventurous? Understanding? Wisdom? What are qualities that you appreciate in your pappy?

I'll go first. My dad, an ex Marine (hardest core of the military - don't ask me how he ended up with a hippy kid like me) was not a lot of fun when i was a kid. Very rigid, generally spent more time yelling at us than anything else - he knew how to have fun with us kids but didn't do a lot of it...guess that's why I had to find all that fun on my own...but sometime around his early 40's he went through a transformation and completely lightened up. Grew his hair out, wore shorts, Aloha shirts, sandals, etc. And he started coming on adventures with me. Multi day bike tours...backcountry skiing. He even tried getting stoned with me and my buddies once. I appreciated his willingness to let go of all his shit and just show up for me. Call it flexibility and curiosity...OK, so there's a bit of appreciation for my Da...how about you?

#2 June 19th, 2006 07:42 AM

SCSIgirl

Re: Fathers

jackscratch wrote:

After the less than overwhelming response to my knickers posting I'll reckon to try to behave and post something a bit more inclusive here ;-) SO in honor of what is soon to be FATHERS DAY here in the States I just want to say:

1. Happy Day to all you papas out there. <<< snipped for brevity >>> up for me. Call it flexibility and curiosity...OK, so there's a bit of appreciation for my Da...how about you?

Twice a year, Father's Day and Oct 12th (His birthday)  I go down to the sea and commune with Dad.  He's out there, somewhere, everywhere.  He made 90 but never knew it and passed days after his birthday.

His family was everything.  He made great personal, career, and financial sacrifices for the health of his family.  He had his downsides,  but they were minisculed by his greatness.

Mom's 92 and still cookin'.  Looks like she'll make 93 next year.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

1. Index
  2. » Project_ISM
  3. » Fathers

Board footer