#1 May 19th, 2006 05:47 AM

roxxie

time to move to Australia

Hi all! Sorry for being absent for so long! My computer went down and We're still working on getting it fixed. This isn't the sort of site I can visit while I'm at the office, so this is the first chance I've had to check the forums in a while.

When I'm at the office and waiting for things to print or copy or whatever I'll browse Google news, and read the news pages for other Emglish speaking countries. Australia is usually the first country I hit because it is at the top of thelist. I've been following the Australian news for the past couple of weeks, and I swear I'm going to move to Australia!! The news is so much nicer in Australia than here in the US. Sure, there are typhoons and miners stuck in mines, but the economy is good and there is no political corruption like the US. And you have vegemite!! Anyone in Australia have a room I can rent for cheap!?

xoxo!

#2 May 19th, 2006 11:23 AM

pip

Re: time to move to Australia

roxxie wrote:

there is no political corruption like the US.

Umm, you might want to google "Children overboard", "Wheat board", "IR laws" and "it's very dark up here in the US's anal cavity".

#3 May 19th, 2006 08:10 PM

paintjam

roxxie wrote:

Hi all! Sorry for being absent for so long! My computer went down and We're still working on getting it fixed. This isn't the sort of site I can visit while I'm at the office, so this is the first chance I've had to check the forums in a while.

When I'm at the office and waiting for things to print or copy or whatever I'll browse Google news, and read the news pages for other Emglish speaking countries. Australia is usually the first country I hit because it is at the top of thelist. I've been following the Australian news for the past couple of weeks, and I swear I'm going to move to Australia!! The news is so much nicer in Australia than here in the US. Sure, there are typhoons and miners stuck in mines, but the economy is good and there is no political corruption like the US. And you have vegemite!! Anyone in Australia have a room I can rent for cheap!?

xoxo!

i am with you.   i could use a new country far far away from this one.
hugz
jamie

'stay beautiful'

#4 May 21st, 2006 01:56 AM

roxxie

pip wrote:

Umm, you might want to google "Children overboard", "Wheat board", "IR laws" and "it's very dark up here in the US's anal cavity".

Yeah, that's corruption too, but I still don't think it is quite as bad as the corruption here in the US.

#5 May 21st, 2006 07:30 AM

SCSIgirl

roxxie wrote:

Yeah, that's corruption too, but I still don't think it is quite as bad as the corruption here in the US.

Yeah,  but their toilets flush backwards so you have to sit on them facing the wall.  ;-}

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#6 May 21st, 2006 07:57 AM

paintjam

SCSIgirl wrote:

Yeah,  but their toilets flush backwards so you have to sit on them facing the wall.  ;-}

yes, and they drive on the wrong side of the road but i still would love to move there.

'stay beautiful'

#7 May 22nd, 2006 05:06 PM

liandra_dahl

paintjam wrote:

yes, and they drive on the wrong side of the road but i still would love to move there.

We drive on the left so we have an excellent excuse for running over visiting americans who were looking in the wrong direction... ;-)

#8 May 22nd, 2006 07:57 PM

paintjam

liandra_dahl wrote:

We drive on the left so we have an excellent excuse for running over visiting americans who were looking in the wrong direction... ;-)

haaaaaaaaaaa.
well i could certainly live with that...i would fit in as a native quickly.
i drive on the right and still aim for americans looking in the wrong direction.
there are a lot of americans looking in the wrong direction these days.....;)

jamie

'stay beautiful'

#9 May 24th, 2006 12:04 AM

katt

liandra_dahl wrote:

ha ha ha ha! love it! what a fantastic reply! aus is a great place to live, vegemite isn't that good though. ive lived here all my life and i still dont see the fascination with it? gets a bit hot here but if you like it hot then thats ok

#10 May 24th, 2006 10:25 AM

catt

katt wrote:

ha ha ha ha! love it! what a fantastic reply! aus is a great place to live, vegemite isn't that good though. ive lived here all my life and i still dont see the fascination with it? gets a bit hot here but if you like it hot then thats ok

You have to start really early with Vegemite, and it's such a difficult thing to introduce to an adult (especially one who has heard all the horror stories - and how some cheeky Australians encourage them to slather it on toast at the same thickness as you would jam, or peanut butter...tsk, tsk).  Me, I love the stuff.  I'm going to have to get friends to export plenty for me once I'm ensconed in the States.  It's much more important than clean knickers, or letters from home.

xxCattxx

the beauty of simplicity is the complexity it attracts.

#11 May 24th, 2006 06:02 PM

perl

Ewwww! Filthy vegemites! It's all about the marmite, but NZ marmite, not UK marmite. There's something wrong with marmite in the UK - it tastes kinda like vegemite.

#12 May 24th, 2006 07:51 PM

paintjam

catt wrote:

You have to start really early with Vegemite, and it's such a difficult thing to introduce to an adult (especially one who has heard all the horror stories - and how some cheeky Australians encourage them to slather it on toast at the same thickness as you would jam, or peanut butter...tsk, tsk).  Me, I love the stuff.  I'm going to have to get friends to export plenty for me once I'm ensconed in the States.  It's much more important than clean knickers, or letters from home.

xxCattxx

now you have all gotten me so curious to experience this vegemite hehe
what is it exactly?  wink
hugz
jamie

'stay beautiful'

#13 May 24th, 2006 09:59 PM

katt

paintjam wrote:

now you have all gotten me so curious to experience this vegemite hehe
what is it exactly?  wink
hugz
jamie

hey jamie i'll see if you can send it over k

mwaz katt

#14 May 25th, 2006 09:46 AM

paintjam

katt wrote:

hey jamie i'll see if you can send it over k

mwaz katt

i just saw a link for it.
what colour is it?
well vitamin b is good for one....
jamie

'stay beautiful'

#15 May 25th, 2006 01:49 PM

SCSIgirl

catt wrote:

xxCattxx

Ya know,  a good chili verde will cure anyone of any national food treasures.  Come to think of it,  almost any Mexican dish will win you over.  The USA hasn't had this wonderful a culinary experience since the Italians brought over their stuff.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#16 May 25th, 2006 02:34 PM

catt

paintjam wrote:

i just saw a link for it.
what colour is it?
well vitamin b is good for one....
jamie

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite"/>Vegemite!<a> <---clicky clicky.

I know, it sounds gross - but it's an acquired taste, and an Australian icon.  It's also very awesome for vegetarians.  I cannot do without it.

xxCattxx

#17 May 25th, 2006 08:32 PM

paintjam

catt wrote:

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite"/>Vegemite!<a> <---clicky clicky.

I know, it sounds gross - but it's an acquired taste, and an Australian icon.  It's also very awesome for vegetarians.  I cannot do without it.

xxCattxx

anything that makes people this happy....
    We're happy little vegemites
    as bright as bright can be,
    we all enjoy our Vegemite
    for breakfast, lunch, and tea
    our mummies say we're growing stronger
    every single week
    because we love our Vegemite
    it puts a rose in every cheek

i simply have to try....;)
i am practically a vegetarian anyway.

thanxxxx xxcattxx

'stay beautiful'

#18 May 26th, 2006 08:48 AM

centrevom

Born and bred in the UK, I was brought up on Marmite.  Very nice, especially with jam on toast.  But then in my 20s they started selling Vegemite in the UK.  Being in love with an Australian girl at the time, I had no choice but to switch.  And I've stayed.  There is always Vegemite in my fridge, never Marmite. Is there some connection to my love of ISM/IFM?

#19 May 26th, 2006 11:51 AM

catt

paintjam wrote:

anything that makes people this happy....
    We're happy little vegemites
    as bright as bright can be,
    for breakfast, lunch, and tea
    our mummies say we're growing stronger
    every single week
    because we love our Vegemite
    it puts a rose in every cheek

i simply have to try....;)
i am practically a vegetarian anyway.

thanxxxx xxcattxx

Well, if you do try it, make sure the toast has lots of butter, and that the Vegemite is spread *very* sparingly.  It's good to cheat and top it with slices of avocado to start with - yes, it sounds weird, but it's simply amazing.  This is how I got my American finance into it...started gently *S*

xxCattxx

#20 May 26th, 2006 11:52 AM

catt

centrevom wrote:

Born and bred in the UK, I was brought up on Marmite.  Very nice, especially with jam on toast.  But then in my 20s they started selling Vegemite in the UK.  Being in love with an Australian girl at the time, I had no choice but to switch.  And I've stayed.  There is always Vegemite in my fridge, never Marmite. Is there some connection to my love of ISM/IFM?

I like Marmite, and Promite's okay too (if not a little sweeter), but it's Vegemite all the way.  And you keep it in the fridge?!  Are you one of those people who also keep tomato sauce/ketchup in the fridge?

Crazy!

xxCattxx

#21 May 26th, 2006 02:34 PM

SCSIgirl

catt wrote:

I like Marmite, and Promite's okay too (if not a little sweeter), but it's Vegemite all the way.  And you keep it in the fridge?!  Are you one of those people who also keep tomato sauce/ketchup in the fridge?

Crazy!

xxCattxx

Heck,  my Honey keeps honey in the fridge.....   The only natural food that never decays.

#22 May 26th, 2006 03:59 PM

catt

SCSIgirl wrote:

Heck,  my Honey keeps honey in the fridge.....   The only natural food that never decays.

Doesn't it go too hard then, and rip up the toast?  And it may not decay, but there's nothing worse than crystallised honey.  Actually...scratch that.  I can think of many things worse...

xxCattxx

#23 May 28th, 2006 12:22 PM

alyce

I keep my ketchup in the fridge but not my vegemite.

I eat vegemite by the spoonful from the jar it's so good.

#24 June 3rd, 2006 12:28 AM

Will_79

I'm with you on wanting to move to Australia. Currently under the Blair dictatorship in the UK, and the place is a mess. Despite this however I've always had this idea in the back of my head about emigrating to Australia. Not very easy to do, but I have a *kindof* plan that will hopefully come to fruition in a few years time.

Untill then I am hoping at visiting Australia next month. I'll find out within the next couple of weeks if I'll be able to finally visit and spend the month of July there. If I can't (because of work) I'll be most annoyed.

#25 June 3rd, 2006 01:10 AM

SCSIgirl

Will_79 wrote:

I'm with you on wanting to move to Australia. Currently under the Blair dictatorship in the UK, and the place is a mess. Despite this however I've always had this idea in the back of my head about emigrating to Australia. Not very easy to do, but I have a *kindof* plan that will hopefully come to fruition in a few years time.

Untill then I am hoping at visiting Australia next month. I'll find out within the next couple of weeks if I'll be able to finally visit and spend the month of July there. If I can't (because of work) I'll be most annoyed.

We have a few imigrants there on this forum.  You might PM Liandra_Dahl and ask how it worked for her and what pratfalls to avoid.

Board footer