#1 April 1st, 2007 03:56 AM

silvatek

Download speed from UK

Whereas I used to get really fast downloads via my broadband connection, it's recently become impractical to try downloading either videos or folios as I'm now getting dial-up speeds (currently 5.4kB/s). I even have to wait for the thumbnails to come through!  I wondered if anyone else in the UK is having this problem. This download slowdown doesn't seem to apply to any other sites that I've used recently, and my line speed is currently 3500kbps.

#2 April 1st, 2007 09:35 PM

Agamemnon

Re: Download speed from UK

ISM's been pretty slow for me, Sydney, lately as well.  As at Sunday 10:00 to 11:30 GMT I've been getting about the same.  Not too good for an ADSL line.

#3 April 2nd, 2007 12:01 AM

nurgis

Same here (Toronto, ON) Must be the ISM server rather than a local problem

#4 April 2nd, 2007 06:31 AM

Akila3

Same here in Israel , I got ADSL 2.5MB.
must be ISM Servers.

#5 April 2nd, 2007 05:18 PM

pikopiko

Same in Germany. Aktally at 9,16 MEZ 20kb/s, better than yesterday (2,5kb/s), normally 50k/s and more...
Should be repaired, please!

#6 April 3rd, 2007 12:31 AM

Head
Administrator

The problem was with a network compoonent at the hosting company.  As they were unable to resolve the problem, we had our server physically unplugged and moved to a diffferent location (alongside our other faithful servers, IFM and Agony).  Hence there was some downtime but now the speed issue is resolved.  Thanks for your patience.

#7 April 3rd, 2007 04:37 AM

capiango

Still painfully slow here as well as of 4/02/07. Its just the downloads, the pages load fine still!

#8 April 3rd, 2007 06:03 AM

silvatek

Head wrote:

/snip/  Hence there was some downtime but now the speed issue is resolved.  Thanks for your patience.

I beg to differ.  Folio and video downloads take forever.  The site is effectively not fit for purpose right now.  I'm currently getting between 6 and 12 kB/sec (when it's not stalled altogether), and it's been like this for over two weeks now.

#9 April 3rd, 2007 08:56 AM

theconia3

It's almost 7:00 P.M. here on the East Coast of the United States and the download speed is at a snail's pace.  Whoever told Head that everything is fine is lying.  I agree with Silvatek in saying that this problem has been going on for at least a couple of weeks.

#10 April 3rd, 2007 02:30 PM

Head
Administrator

Ok I was not aware there were still issues in some areas- it's fine over here.  You guys could assist by giving us some info to help trace the problem.

In Windows:

1. Start...Run...then type Command to get a DOS prompt
2. type; tracert ishotmyself.com  <---We would like the full output of that.
3. type;  ping -n 300 ishotmyself.com  <--- we only need the summary of that one, the last few lines.

[to copy text from this window, right-click and 'select all', then ctrl-C will copy to the clipboard.  Then you can paste it into an email]

Please email this including the city you're in, to office@ishotmyself.com

thanks.

#11 April 4th, 2007 06:01 AM

theconia3

Head,

The resonse to your second query was:
"Reply from 72.232.167.18:byes =32 tim = 61ms"

I'd love to send the first part to you, but it is way long.  Is there a way to cut and paste the info from the DOS screen?

#12 April 4th, 2007 06:29 AM

silvatek

theconia3 wrote:

I'd love to send the first part to you, but it is way long.  Is there a way to cut and paste the info from the DOS screen?

Right click in the DOS (Command Prompt) window and Select All.  Then press Enter/Return to copy the text to the clipboard.  You can then paste it into an email.

Try to ensure there's no other traffic when you do these (but 300 is a lot of pings to wait for).

I'm sure I already provided tracert and ping results, but I'm happy to do so again.

Last edited by silvatek (April 4th, 2007 06:36 AM)

#13 April 4th, 2007 06:45 AM

theconia3

Thanks Silvatek.  I just sent the info to Head.

#14 April 5th, 2007 11:23 PM

Head
Administrator

Ok thanks guys.  You should find the speed is OK at the moment but we're working to make it faster.

#15 April 6th, 2007 04:14 AM

silvatek

Head wrote:

Ok thanks guys.  You should find the speed is OK at the moment but we're working to make it faster.

Yayyyy!!  Back to normal.  360-380 kBps download speed!

Thanks Head.  I sure hope it lasts.  What in blazes did you do?

#16 April 6th, 2007 10:02 AM

Head
Administrator

silvatek wrote:
Head wrote:

Yayyyy!!  Back to normal.  360-380 kBps download speed!

Thanks Head.  I sure hope it lasts.  What in blazes did you do?

We gave the pixies some extra chocolate.

#17 April 11th, 2007 04:37 AM

silvatek

Looks like they ate all the chocolate and downed tools again.  It was nice while it lasted.

Last edited by silvatek (April 11th, 2007 04:40 AM)

#18 April 12th, 2007 03:34 AM

sharpie11

Everything looks fine 4 me now

#19 April 13th, 2007 09:25 PM

silvatek

sharpie11 wrote:

Everything looks fine 4 me now

Was snail-like for a while again, but I just downloaded a "dirtypretty" thing at the best speed ever.  Fingers crossed!  smile

Board footer