#1 February 1st, 2005 09:45 AM

ruby

kinsey- what a discovery!

Last night is saw the motion picture based on the story of Kinsey.

I have read a little about the implications of his findings but nothing directly that he has written.

Of course I have come away from the film believing that he looks like Liam Neeson, showed very explicit slides in this first Sex Education lecture and was a sun of a gun in the bedroom! Thanks Hollywood. 

Does anyone know much about him? 

I am particularly interested in his observation techniques when completing the female study.  And of course what he was like in bed wink

#2 February 1st, 2005 10:29 AM

theda

Re: kinsey- what a discovery!

ruby wrote:

I have read a little about the implications of his findings but nothing directly that he has written.

Of course I have come away from the film believing that he looks like Liam Neeson, showed very explicit slides in this first Sex Education lecture and was a sun of a gun in the bedroom! Thanks Hollywood. 

I am particularly interested in his observation techniques when completing the female study.  And of course what he was like in bed wink

Here's a pic

http://www.indiana.edu/~kinsey/services/kinsey_eve.html

He ain't really my type...you can have him Ruby! It's funny that he did his research so long ago and sex research as well as courses on sexuality (literature and sexuality, cinema and sexuality etc) are still so taboo and controversial.

#3 February 1st, 2005 11:37 AM

theda

and if you could do any study on sexuality that you wanted to, unlimited time and funding etc, what would you want to find out?

#4 February 1st, 2005 11:56 AM

ruby

as unpopular as it would be, i am interested in sexual deviancy. 

Esp why fetishes develop, ones that are socially acceptable and ones that aren’t. 

I have read that a fetish can develop from an early pre sexual experience, which is before puberty (so experiences that feel good but don’t cumulate in mature sexual peak).  For example; a young boy experiences a pleasant bodily response whilst his mother walks past in stilettos- thus a shoe fetish is encouraged as to emulate this early feeling.  A sensory reminder if you will, and as it is pre sexual, so before the child has developed a concept of body pleasure, it sort of gets buried in the subconscious.  Just one persons opinion, and no study can confirm it…………!

#5 February 1st, 2005 12:03 PM

theda

ruby wrote:

as unpopular as it would be, i am interested in sexual deviancy. 

Esp why fetishes develop, ones that are socially acceptable and ones that aren’t. 

I have read that a fetish can develop from an early pre sexual experience, which is before puberty (so experiences that feel good but don’t cumulate in mature sexual peak).  For example; a young boy experiences a pleasant bodily response whilst his mother walks past in stilettos- thus a shoe fetish is encouraged as to emulate this early feeling.  A sensory reminder if you will, and as it is pre sexual, so before the child has developed a concept of body pleasure, it sort of gets buried in the subconscious.  Just one persons opinion, and no study can confirm it…………!

Yeah fetishes and how they develop are really quite facinating. Freud wrote about this as well. And to bring up a not-so sophisticated philosopher (?????) Jerry Springer, I saw an episode once about a guy who had a serious fetish for women's vomit. His fetish began when a sexual feeling he had coincided with him being sick as a young child. For ever after he sought out vomit and kept bags of the stuff in a storeroom, he had vomit saved from the 80s! He was seriously disturbed. But still though it is interesting. It's also interesting about the power dynamic in relationships that revolve around bondage and discipline, have you seen Venus In Furs?

#6 February 1st, 2005 12:47 PM

ruby

nope- what is this??

#7 February 1st, 2005 02:02 PM

theda

ruby wrote:

nope- what is this??

Venus in Furs (1967)
"A surreal dish of dream-like S&M kinky fantasy, of special interest to those fetishists who may appreciate bondage, milk baths, spankings or foot worship. It's a very bizarre web of delights centering around a humble shoe salesman who tends to obsess on Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's book "Venus in Furs," often tuning out the real world and disappearing off into his own. He suddenly becomes involved with a strange woman who leads him to a very real getaway for like-minded perverts, where everyone lets anything and everything all hang out.

It's likely that late independent filmmaker Joe Marzano indulged his own personal erotic desires through his work here, and the results are actually quite mesmerizing at times in an Avant Garde kind of way, making appropriate use of stock music."

http://www.imdb.com/

#8 February 1st, 2005 03:55 PM

anouchka

theda wrote:

Venus in Furs (1967)
"A surreal dish of dream-like S&M kinky fantasy, of special interest to those fetishists who may appreciate bondage, milk baths, spankings or foot worship. It's a very bizarre web of delights centering around a humble shoe salesman who tends to obsess on Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's book "Venus in Furs," often tuning out the real world and disappearing off into his own. He suddenly becomes involved with a strange woman who leads him to a very real getaway for like-minded perverts, where everyone lets anything and everything all hang out.

It's likely that late independent filmmaker Joe Marzano indulged his own personal erotic desires through his work here, and the results are actually quite mesmerizing at times in an Avant Garde kind of way, making appropriate use of stock music."

I hate that movie.
Don't get me started on the Story of O or Emanuelle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 February 14th, 2005 10:26 AM

Manring

I agree, fetishes and how (and why) they develop are fascinating as all get out.

For what it is worth, here's one viewpoint on fetishes, written by an old friend of mine on a site I made several years ago:
http://borchernews.com/articles.html - 2nd one down. I'll get around to updating the site with new articles and input at some point.

[QUOTE=theda]Yeah fetishes and how they develop are really quite facinating.

#10 February 14th, 2005 11:14 AM

GusTheMynahBird

theda wrote:

Venus in Furs (1967)

Was the Velvet Underground song specifically connected to this film?

In any case, it's a great song. :-)

#11 February 16th, 2005 03:50 AM

duncan_b

ruby wrote:

Yesterday on American Public Television there was a 1.5-hour documentary about Kinsey. It didn't say much about his performance in bed, except that his circle of co-workers were encouraged to experiment sexually.... Kinsey himself was bi-sexual and masochistic. There is one good biography of him, perhaps more than one.
     His books were based on personal interviews consisting of 300 questions and taking one to three or more hours, depending on the complexity of the respondent's sexual history. Later he became interested in the physiological aspects and took movies of couples having intercourse. The films apparently still exist, locked away at the Sex Institute. His sampling techniques are criticized since he could not possibly get an accurate cross-section -- after all the local Mormon or 7th Day Adventist or even Baptist churches were not going to cooperate with his call for participation of everyone in a group. So he got many college-age people, often in groups like fraternities and sororities, to participate. He included data from diaries of an individual who had extensive incestuous contacts in his extended family of 76 members, and abused numbers of children.
     Complex character. He published in the 1950s, when  the United States was extremely puritanical, then died of a heart attack after being refused a grant continuation by the Rockefeller Foundation which was under extreme pressure to cut off funds for Kinsey's 'subversive' studies.

Board footer