#1 January 9th, 2005 03:25 AM

Belgareth

Why can't we have a level playing field?

Theda's comment, "I'm not resentful of men, I'm resentful of particular men who are sexist and make it harder for me to live my life the way I want to live it and expect me to conform to an idea of femininity and womanhood.", set me thinking about the perceptions that one sex has for the other. I don't expect the female gender to behave in a feminine and/or submissive way, any more than I would expect a male to behave in a masculine and/or dominant one. The concept of typecasting an individual, based upon gender is nothing more than an antiquated social stigma.

Whilst I think that the female form is generally the more visually pleasing, that doesn't mean that it is always to case. There are some very, visually, attractive males out there but society doesn't condone one male saying that of another, whereas it does not object to a similar statement from one female about another. Looked at in this light and taking other forum threads into account, there's no wonder we can't agree, or even agree to disagree.

Why can't we just threat each other as individuals, without introducing sex. politics and social taboo? I like me the way I am and I like most others the way they are, providing they don't try to change me!

BTW - three cheers for Theda and all the females on ISM who stand up for their rights to be individual!

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#2 January 9th, 2005 05:36 AM

Merricat

Re: Why can't we have a level playing field?

Belgareth wrote:

Why can't we just treat each other as individuals, without introducing sex. politics and social taboo? I like me the way I am and I like most others the way they are, providing they don't try to change me!

I feel the same way. To me, this is what feminism is working for. At least, it's what I'm trying to work for!

Board footer