#1 May 4th, 2005 04:58 PM

brodypaling

What gets ur eye?

Ok ISM has SOOOOOOOOOOO many HOT AS FUCK girls

What makes one folio satnd out from the rest in ur mind?
The location?
The clothes?
The hair?
The face?
The art?

For me its the eyes, you can always tell how turned on a girl is from her eyes.........

If no one see's me......am I still here?[COLOR=Magenta][COLOR=Magenta]xxx[/COLOR][/COLOR]

#2 May 5th, 2005 12:15 AM

MrPicMe

Re: What gets ur eye?

What does it for me is this:

1)Attention to detail... GIRLS OUT THERE(AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) GET THOSE NAILS DONE!! If you're going to do close-ups with your hands in the shot make sure they don't look haggard!

2)If you're going to use a mirror, it would make sense to clean it. right?

3)Above all, use of lighting is very, very, very important! DON'T USE THE FLASH THAT IS BUILT INTO  THE CAMERA.

...Bottom line PASSION! (see previous Art Prize Winners)

#3 May 5th, 2005 12:17 AM

MrPicMe

brodypaling wrote:

The location?
The clothes?
The hair?
The face?
The art?

For me its the eyes, you can always tell how turned on a girl is from her eyes.........

1) ART
2) LOCATION
3) CLOTHES

(In that order Please)

#4 May 5th, 2005 12:55 AM

voyeur2

Outstanding tells a story.  The story is consistent through the session, or is a series of vignettes.  It teases, it reveals, it tempts, it makes you want to be in the room.  Set, light, costume, presentation is important.  Focus and framing.  Face is always good, we all know what tits and ass look like - show us artistically - how you see yourself, what makes you unique.

Have I ever lied to you before?

#5 May 5th, 2005 02:03 AM

SCSIgirl

brodypaling wrote:

The location?
The clothes?
The hair?
The face?
The art?

I would agree with the above comments.  Put yourself in order first.  (Your portfolio was Outstanding, BTW)  Don't do the shoot the day after you binged on coke or pulled an all nighter or when you are really depressed.  A photo shoot is like going to meet a new lover for the first time:  you need to look and feel at the top of your game.

Since you already have a showstopping body and beautiful face,  I would concentrate on your surroundings.  Many of the top winners have had thematic shoots.  Find something you like to do:  a hobby like surfing or trains or stained glass and just make love to it the way you do when you are practicing that hobby.  You passion will come out naturally, and it will be different enough to attract attention.

"V" is very right about lighting,  but for an amateur it's hard to understand or control.  However,  turn the camera flash off and try and work in a natural light.  It will show off your curves more and will give you stronger personality.

I need to shut up:  I could write a book.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#6 May 5th, 2005 05:11 AM

EgonArbus

brodypaling wrote:

The location?
The clothes?
The hair?
The face?
The art?

Art is the key. Those who don't know it simply don't live, they exist.

I think artists/photographers/models/ism contributors/film-makers/designers/writers/animators/whoever... should bring more of their experience to their work than they do.  I've never understood why so many are content to be transmitters of the second-hand.  it's epidemic in our western culture.  The work is the end - whether it's appreciated or not by the audience is not important.  The important thing is the creation of the work itself, not the finished product.  Audiences are after the fact.  This is why I don't like Zille's portfolio (sorry Zille!), it's drawing too much attention to itself, it's too aware of the audience and the tyranny of the (male) gaze. It has not been created as a thing in itself, but looks as though it was preplanned, designed, or scripted even, long before the cap was taken off the lens.  Is it therefore a shoot? Scripts are the first restraint.

#7 May 5th, 2005 06:32 AM

wantingscott

unfortunately, unless one is independantly wealthy, commercial value must come into play. it's an unfortunate fact, maybe.

#8 May 5th, 2005 08:07 AM

voyeur2

I gotta say I disagree with EgonArbus.  In a respectful way.  I believe art has structure, process, control, mastery of the medium.  It tells a story, makes a statement, reveals truth.  The process is demanding, exciting and so forth, to the artist.  But for the art lover,  it is the product that is important, that endures long after the process of creation is finished.  The better the product - generally the better the commercial value.  But not always.  Van Gogh couldn't sell a painting in his lifetime.  But what an eye, what technique -way beyone his time.

Have I ever lied to you before?

#9 May 5th, 2005 12:02 PM

SCSIgirl

EgonArbus wrote:

I think artists/photographers/models/ism contributors/film-makers/designers/writers/animators/whoever... should bring more of their experience to their work than they do.  I've never understood why so many are content to be transmitters of the second-hand.  it's epidemic in our western culture.  The work is the end - whether it's appreciated or not by the audience is not important.  The important thing is the creation of the work itself, not the finished product.  Audiences are after the fact.  This is why I don't like Zille's portfolio (sorry Zille!), it's drawing too much attention to itself, it's too aware of the audience and the tyranny of the (male) gaze. It has not been created as a thing in itself, but looks as though it was preplanned, designed, or scripted even, long before the cap was taken off the lens.  Is it therefore a shoot? Scripts are the first restraint.

Totally disagree.  There is so much crap out there that passes for art.  Art IS the final product.  Getting there is 'experience'.  You may not like Mapplethorp's content but no one can deny his mastery of the medium.  Photography is, for the most part, an instant art.  You snap the shutter and that moment is frozen in time.  If you can't get it right  (or the camera can't get it right for you) then it's junk,  not art.  Yes,  there are the mistakes that come out right,  but I will admire mastered art over accidental art everytime.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#10 May 5th, 2005 01:31 PM

Head

EgonArbus wrote:

I think artists/photographers/models/ism contributors/film-makers/designers/writers/animators/whoever... should bring more of their experience to their work than they do.  I've never understood why so many are content to be transmitters of the second-hand.  it's epidemic in our western culture.  The work is the end - whether it's appreciated or not by the audience is not important.  The important thing is the creation of the work itself, not the finished product.  Audiences are after the fact...

That's a very introverted view.  If a work is not appreciated by anybody, then it's important only to its creator, in which case it would be expression, rather than art, wouldn't it?  I don't know any artists who don't aspire to exhibiting or performing their work or who don't enjoy having it appreciated.  But I don't disagree with your initial statement either.

#11 May 5th, 2005 06:41 PM

capiango

brodypaling wrote:

The location?
The clothes?
The hair?
The face?
The art?

For me its really a combination of things that makes a folio stand out.

The Physical~
1. Im a sucker for a pretty face,  eyes and expression can say so much sometimes that you really feel youre getting a sense of a person. The more a woman seems to be willing to expose internally about herself as well as externally just makes the rest of her that much more appealing. Some do this very well!

The Presentation~
2. Whether the setting is created or its some random public place I love it when it the artist just owns the scene! Either having fun or oblvious of anything but whats going on within arm or legs length. I also love alot of variety and creativity. Some are able to shoot the same area of the body but make it look fresh and different. The more perspective the better!

The Fine Print~
3. Profiles can sometimes make or break a folio but more often then not its the cherry on top. I love the humor or prolific statements that many have to make.

Maybe I should make a separate post about this but I've always wondered. Do some people always look at profiles first then the folio or vice versa? And how do you think it may affect your opinion of the overall folio?

#12 May 5th, 2005 07:31 PM

EgonArbus

SCSIgirl wrote:

Totally disagree.  There is so much crap out there that passes for art.  Art IS the final product.  Getting there is 'experience'.  You may not like Mapplethorp's content but no one can deny his mastery of the medium.  Photography is, for the most part, an instant art.  You snap the shutter and that moment is frozen in time.  If you can't get it right  (or the camera can't get it right for you) then it's junk,  not art.  Yes,  there are the mistakes that come out right,  but I will admire mastered art over accidental art everytime.

SCSIgirl, so you are one who judges conduct by results rather than by principle?  Welcome to the postmodern world!  We should all know by now that all the traditional bases of rational understanding in art have lost their place - unity, coherence, generality, totality, structure have all lost their authority (and one hopes their pertinance!).  This is why I love Andy Warhol.  He showed us just how shallow all that macho, hard-smoking, hard-drinking expressionist bullshit of Pollock, De Kooning, Rothko (et al) really was.  All it took was an underfed, skinny, limp, wig-wearing immigrant Pole to undermine and finish it off!  I agree with you that there is a lot of junk passing for art, but I would actively encourage this.  Does anyone remember when the Taliban destroyed that big Buddha that had been carved into a mountain in Afghanistan?  This, for me, was a triumph.  The end of art is what I seek. Then we will all be free to create.

Head - i reckon you have it wrong way around; (I risk contradicting myself here) expression is when an artist requires the audience to finish his work, i.e. is not a totality in itself - then it would be art!

#13 May 5th, 2005 07:45 PM

zimbonies

capiango wrote:

Maybe I should make a separate post about this but I've always wondered. Do some people always look at profiles first then the folio or vice versa? And how do you think it may affect your opinion of the overall folio?

I personally read Head's comments first, then the profile on the ISM home page, then click on 'More' to get their full profile.  I read the profile, then read their comments, then click on pics!

I have to agree that the profile is a big part of the entire "experience".  The contributors that don't leave any info in their profile seem to be cold and unwilling to share their inner-self with us.  It always helps to know a little bit about them before I can truly enjoy their folio.  Otherwise it's just pictures...to me at least.

"Look at da Chort?!  He's gone mad wit power!"

#14 May 5th, 2005 11:30 PM

wantingscott

EgonArbus wrote:

The end of art is what I seek. Then we will all be free to create.

interesting. i often think that the true end to post-post modernism, and the dawn of a new age will arise when the entire material world falls out of value. i see through the use of cell phones, and their endless multimedia connectivity, that all humans asa a whole are striving for now is connected Consciousness. i don't see it as a need for constant distraction, as it appears on the surface. instead, a need for a meditative state, a return to a time when there was nothing but nature and human/animal/spiritual. lookk at all the movies that depict violence and the end of the world. i think that's what we crave right now.

wow, this thread is off subject!!! Voyeur2, you were right! chaos is self-sustaining (or did zimbonies say that?)

wscott

#15 May 5th, 2005 11:37 PM

Jing

to me, i think the first thing that attracts me are the smile and the eyes..... they show personality

#16 May 6th, 2005 01:38 AM

MrPicMe

SCSIgirl wrote:

Brilliant! Well stated!

#17 May 10th, 2005 11:23 AM

chrisb469

brodypaling wrote:

The location?
The clothes?
The hair?
The face?
The art?

I like hot girls, something different and the bizarre.  Dandy's folios are always my favourites as she always does something different be it a DP with barbie dolls or completly starkers in her car in a busy car park....  Dirty Girl's videos are always great, Part 4 of her recent video series was excelent. 

My big turn offs are tatoos and excessive piercings.

Other than that it's just the girls...

#18 May 10th, 2005 11:47 AM

Manring

For me it's the attitude of the girl taking her own photos.

What she projects; the part of the whole experience she enjoys, why she's doing it, how much thought she's put into one aspect or another of what she's doing, and how well that projects through the shoot is what appeals to me.

That's what makes one over the other stand out.

Board footer