#1 September 18th, 2004 04:02 AM

napthene

Enhancement requests/dumb ideas

A number of enhancement requests, that will be of varying degrees of PITA for you:

0. My Account, where I can set preferences and billing options and so forth. Also see 2a.

0a. A 'What's coming next' list of new features you're planning to roll out, in the Help.

1. Ratings. You may want to consider rolling this in only for the higher levels of membership, or something. Basically, users can rate folios, and individual shots within a folio, on a scale. If you really wanted to go apeshit with this, you could even formulate different *types* of ratings for artistic content versus OMG HOTT!!11one content. A variation on the slashdot filters: see the next suggestion.

2. The obvious extension of this is filtering by ratings, so that you can view only the highest-rated folios, or view all folios sorted with the highest-rated first, and so forth. Allow users to say 'Show me only shots within folios that are 3 or better' or something like that.

2a. Allow users to set global, persistent preferences, like 'show me only folios posted within the last week' or 'only folios that are 3 or better and only shots within folios that are 3 or better' on themselves.

3. Rewards for rating, to encourage it. Once you've rated X many folios or shots (and make it a lot), you get something like ISM gear, or a print of a shot, or a "special folio" that has stuff nobody else gets.

4. Once you have ratings in place, a 'best of' display or contest or whatnot that showcases the top 5 user-rated shots in both artistic and HOTT categories. Good hook to recruit new users.

4. Filtering on venue. Beach, bedroom, outdoors, water, so forth. Maybe easier to do a 'venue' keyword for this, so you can search simultaneously on a contributor's name and the venue. This isn't really salient now, but are you forecasting a time when some contributors will have more than one or two folios?

Feel free to tell me to bugger off. :>

Love the site. Thanks for listening.

#2 September 20th, 2004 02:35 PM

shannon
Administrator

Re: Enhancement requests/dumb ideas

napthene wrote:

A number of enhancement requests, that will be of varying degrees ...........

I like the cut of your strides sonny.  keep the ideas flowing and sooner or later something will sink in.

(Then i will sit back and take all the credit for it)

#3 September 21st, 2004 12:14 AM

belzacue

Re: Enhancement requests/dumb ideas

I like some (perhaps not all) of those suggestions.  One from me:

How about a 'Random' button - displays a random past folio that your membership level could access?

And I liked an earlier suggestion about perhaps allowing Extra subscribers to view complete submissions (perhaps solely as a downloadable .zip file)  After some of the ratings you've given folios I'm curious to see what's in the pictures we don't get to see!

Board footer