#1 June 10th, 2004 01:00 AM

thylacine

Dandy video

Head,

Can you please edit any video you upload so that each part is 20MB or less? As I mentioned in an earlier post you seem to have forgotten about, here in the UK ISPs cut off a dial-up connection after two hours or less. At best I can only download 10-12MB per hour. Dandy's video file of 23.4MB took 1 hour 57 minutes and 48 seconds. If the file had been just a few bytes more, or if I hadn't had a good connection, then I would have been unable to download that particular video. Because, unlike virtually every other file on the Internet, you can't resume the download of your files if the connection is lost. As I found to my considerable annoyance with the last video you uploaded. Which took four goes and over an hour wasted on failed attempts to download that file!

So can you please either make your uploaded files under 20 MB, or enable resumable downloading of your files.

Thanks.

#2 June 10th, 2004 08:09 PM

Head

Re: Dandy video

thylacine wrote:

Head,

Can you please edit any video you upload so that each part is 20MB or less? As I mentioned in an earlier post you seem to have forgotten about, here in the UK ISPs cut off a dial-up connection after two hours or less. At best I can only download 10-12MB per hour. Dandy's video file of 23.4MB took 1 hour 57 minutes and 48 seconds. If the file had been just a few bytes more, or if I hadn't had a good connection, then I would have been unable to download that particular video. Because, unlike virtually every other file on the Internet, you can't resume the download of your files if the connection is lost. As I found to my considerable annoyance with the last video you uploaded. Which took four goes and over an hour wasted on failed attempts to download that file!

So can you please either make your uploaded files under 20 MB, or enable resumable downloading of your files.

Thanks.

OK well we'll take that on board but if we compress them more we'll get complaints about quality, and you've seen the video, there's nothing could have been left out!  But apropos of resuming downloads, we don't disable that.   It depends on the download manager you're using and apparently www.netvampire.com works OK but I haven't tried it myself.   Can anyone else recommend a LD manager which works on mac?

The good news for you is we're working on adding QT versions.

#3 June 11th, 2004 01:13 PM

thylacine

Head wrote:

OK well we'll take that on board but if we compress them more we'll get complaints about quality, and you've seen the video, there's nothing could have been left out!  But apropos of resuming downloads, we don't disable that.   It depends on the download manager you're using and apparently www.netvampire.com works OK but I haven't tried it myself.   Can anyone else recommend a LD manager which works on mac?

The good news for you is we're working on adding QT versions.

I'm not suggesting you compress the videos more, rather that you edit a video so, that if necessary, you have several parts each less than 20MB in size. For example a friend recently provided me with a copy of Paris Hilton's infamous home movie, which runs to 60MB, by making each "scene" a seperate video. With Dandy's video you could have ended the video when she leaves the bathroom and started the next video in the kitchen. Or, if the file size is still too big, end the first video when she finishes shaving.

As I can't resume downloads of either your videos or pictures I assumed you had some sort of security software running. I'm using Internet Explorer which normally manages to resume downloads of virtually everything on the Net. So logically it seems there is something on this site which prevents my Mac from resuming a download. Possibly the same something which means I am still unable to see your free content.

#4 June 12th, 2004 05:40 PM

nightvigil

[QUOTE=thylacine]I'm not suggesting you compress the videos more, rather that you edit a video so...

The videos are edited already as you can see by the occasional scene skipping. Perhaps a collage outtake video of performers gaffes and video frustrations is in order.

#5 June 13th, 2004 07:27 PM

terryb45

Mac users should try Speed Download2 for resumable downloads. It really works at it's best with broadband (up to 5 connections) but it works just as well on 56k. BT in the UK is so slow in rolling out broadband that many of us outside the towns are stuck with 56k for some time.

#6 July 3rd, 2004 04:23 AM

Belgareth

terryb45 wrote:

Mac users should try Speed Download2 for resumable downloads. It really works at it's best with broadband (up to 5 connections) but it works just as well on 56k. BT in the UK is so slow in rolling out broadband that many of us outside the towns are stuck with 56k for some time.

I am also in the UK and have been lucky enough to finally aquire a 1Mb ADSL connection and find that I now want exactly the opposite to what I wanted when I was running a 56k modem. With a slow connection I wanted to download the movies in a reasonable space of time and would have tolerated a slightly lower resolution, now I don't give a damn about the size, I just want high resolution and no out-takes. Maybe it would be a good idea to provide both high and low resolution movies and give members the choice as to which one they would like, assuming the pipe to the site can cope.

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#7 July 3rd, 2004 06:20 PM

Head

Belgareth wrote:

I am also in the UK and have been lucky enough to finally aquire a 1Mb ADSL connection and find that I now want exactly the opposite to what I wanted when I was running a 56k modem. With a slow connection I wanted to download the movies in a reasonable space of time and would have tolerated a slightly lower resolution, now I don't give a damn about the size, I just want high resolution and no out-takes. Maybe it would be a good idea to provide both high and low resolution movies and give members the choice as to which one they would like, assuming the pipe to the site can cope.

That's something we'd like to consider for the future.  We've just added the facility for multiple video formats and will be offering some of the new ones in QT or WMV as well as MPG.

#8 August 5th, 2004 12:38 AM

hotstone04

I've been reading through members problems downloading videos, I also live in the Uk and use NTL cable, who provide up to 1.5 Mbits, I'm using 750kbits, I did have to use BT when Virgin Net was my IPS, who I have to say provided an excellent service with their broadband but, as I already had NTL T/V cable I changed over.
Which brings me to the downloading of files, I have been a Mac user for many years and I have either used Netscape or Internet Explorer, though I do favour Netscape, both provide very good download managers and I use both all the time. I haven't used Safari yet (OSX), I've tried one or two preparatory DM's but are either complex to use or were no better than that available with Netscape or IE.
I'm also a member user of Easynews for accessing usenet and have no problems downloading files up to 150Mbytes without having to split them so, as they say when one finds a tool that does the job as required satisfactorily why change.

#9 September 9th, 2004 09:55 PM

onedaddy

another Mac user here.

Safari refusing to resume here for some reason, I spent some time messing with download managers to no avail...till yesterday when iGetter 2.0 was released. It works in OSX and 9 and I have been happily topping up my downloads since.

For those interested: http://www.fileavenue.com/downloads/iGe … En.dmg.bin

#10 September 9th, 2004 10:05 PM

Head

Thanks for  that.  We're also interested to hear what are the popular download managers which don't work on ISM, anyone?

Board footer