#26 November 1st, 2005 10:12 AM

Markk02474

Re: STD's

Safer sex for G-G includes the use of dental dams for oral to vaginal/anal contact and gloves (layers of gloves saves time switching between anal and vag or another person).

BTW, I used to fancy Katie Holmes - until the photo of a big, nasty cold sore!

#27 November 1st, 2005 12:04 PM

jdudley76

Belgareth wrote:

It is good to be aware of the risks of infection from the various bacteria and viruses but it is also useful to put them into context. Taking the examples of genital warts and herpes both of which are recurring ( effectively incurable) infections - they can be passed around ones own body and other peoples bodies by contact, at a time when they are in the infection phase. Yet how many people have had cold sores or warts and not thought twice about where they put their hands?

Thanks for the reality check. I thought I'd make one small correction based on a page I found at the US National Institutes of Health web site:

"Some types of HPV cause common skin warts, such as those found on the hands and soles of the feet. These types of HPV do not cause genital warts."

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/stdhpv.htm

"This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating."   - George W. Bush, as quoted by the New York Daily News, April 23, 2002

#28 November 1st, 2005 12:35 PM

jdudley76

One more source of info:

"There is no "cure" for HPV infection, although in most women the infection goes away on its own. The treatments provided are directed to the changes in the skin or mucous membrane caused by HPV infection, such as warts and pre-cancerous changes in the cervix."

Most forms of HPV are harmless, though there are over 100 different kinds.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm

Knowledge is the best protection (well, that and a condom.) ;o)

"This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating."   - George W. Bush, as quoted by the New York Daily News, April 23, 2002

Board footer