#1 October 14th, 2005 01:48 AM

SCSIgirl

Since we all have an interest in photography..

What great shot in your life have you missed?  I'm sure we all have a picture burned in our minds of a situation or whatever that we missed.  Either because we didn't have a camera at the time,  or it would have been rude to shoot,  or we just didn't get it up fast enough.  If you could re-stage any photo-op you missed,  what would it be?

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#2 October 14th, 2005 02:00 AM

SCSIgirl

Re: Since we all have an interest in photography..

I opened this thread because I keep thinking of Granny.

Many years ago,  I was driving down Campbell Ave, in Campbell, CA.  It is a VERY middle class neighborhood with well manicured lawns,  wide streets,  and tract style ranch houses.

Granny was walking down the other side of the street going in the opposite direction.  Granny was right out of a story book: Small, hunched over,  wearing a blue gingham dress with a frilly white apron.  Her all white hair was pulled back into tight bun on the back of her head.  The only thing about her appearance that was out of place was that she was wearing high top black tennis shoes.  Other than that,  she was fairy tale perfect.

As she chugged along down the street,  in one hand she had a German Shepard,  and in the other she had a baseball bat.  Is that a visual or what?  My double take,  almost ran me off the road.  What a photo op lost!!!

Where was Granny going?  Was she after someone,  or was this her normal walking armament?  If I had been on the sidewalk,  would I have taken the picture or just gotten out of the way??  I need to re-stage this shot some day.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#3 October 14th, 2005 02:44 AM

Belgareth

SCSIgirl wrote:

What great shot in your life have you missed?  I'm sure we all have a picture burned in our minds of a situation or whatever that we missed.  Either because we didn't have a camera at the time,  or it would have been rude to shoot,  or we just didn't get it up fast enough.  If you could re-stage any photo-op you missed,  what would it be?

For me the missed photo opportunity, which is burned into my grey cells, has to be an incident in Birmingham (England not Alabama) about 10 years ago. I was walking down New Street and ahead of me there was a group of people all looking and pointing at something, which was out of my view. As I approached, I noticed a young lady walking in the same direction as myself but away from the group and a young man walking toward me. I realised that the group's gesticulating was due to the stiching along the back seam of the young lady's skirt having parted company with the surrounding cloth, revealing a very pleasant ,but very bare, bottom. However, that was not the photograph I missed. The one I missed was of the young man walking toward me, a couple of seconds after his matrimonial tackle collided with a 30" high steel bollard, because he was observing the young lady's rear, rather than watching where he was going. Ouch!!!!!

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#4 October 14th, 2005 02:58 AM

vadek28

In my heyday, I never used to be without a 35mm SLR.  I could point, zoom, focus, set correct exposure and shoot in a fraction of the time that it takes my current digital camera to boot, let alone take a photo as well.

My digital camera is sooo sloooow that I don't even bother carrying it around with me.  Maybe I need an upgrade...  smile

Bring back film!

#5 October 14th, 2005 08:28 AM

Belgareth

vadek28 wrote:

In my heyday, I never used to be without a 35mm SLR.  I could point, zoom, focus, set correct exposure and shoot in a fraction of the time that it takes my current digital camera to boot, let alone take a photo as well.

My digital camera is sooo sloooow that I don't even bother carrying it around with me.  Maybe I need an upgrade...  smile

Bring back film!

Modern digital SLRs ARE fast! Mine will fire off almost 4 frames/sec. I got fed up with the delays of other digital cameras but the Nikon D100 and Canon 350D, or for a lot more money the 2D, certainly equate in performance and resolution to the 35mm SLR.

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#6 October 14th, 2005 09:38 AM

voyeur2

Belgareth wrote:

Modern digital SLRs ARE fast! Mine will fire off almost 4 frames/sec. I got fed up with the delays of other digital cameras but the Nikon D100 and Canon 350D, or for a lot more money the 2D, certainly equate in performance and resolution to the 35mm SLR.

I started serious photography with a Nikon F, it came with wheels and a diesel engine.  I advanced to the half frame Olympus and then returned to a bag full of Nikon (3 bodies, 4 lenses, motor drive etc.)  but at a buck a click, it was a no-brainer to switch to digital.  Now I blaze away. 120 shots to the card.
I think it has made me less of a shooter - little economic constraint about shooting as many as I want.  But the time delay in the shuitter action, and the lack of speed, plus the limitations in lenses.

Hmmm

Anybody have a digital solution that can replicate a 30 year old Nikon F for performance (1/1000 shutter speed, f:1.2 lens and a host of other lenses including my favs the 105 and the 55 Macro.

Have I ever lied to you before?

#7 October 14th, 2005 10:53 AM

ilana

SCSIgirl wrote:

It sounds like a bit of a Hallmark photo but the best picture I've ever not taken was seen in the city one morning. There was a little boy about four years old with his grandma. He was wearing her shawl as a cape and had his undies on over his pants. He ran circles around his grandma with arms outstretched as though he was flying an aeroplane. Then he'd stop and grab his grandma's hand and say he'd rescue her with his super powers while the grandma looked on bessotedly.
It was just a beautiful moment becuase they were both so completely wrapped up in their own fantasty world. I love how the young and the elderly see the world in a way that is lost to us between the time we hit puberty until the time we start getting discounts on public transport tickets.

Board footer