#1 June 2nd, 2005 02:27 AM

nagaloo

So What Kind of Friends Have Some of you Made?

Here's A Post from Recommend a Vibrator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingscott
zille

i will be certain to let you know... thanks so much.
it's funny, isn't it. boards like this make fast friends of complete strangers, where you can ask intimate questions to people you never met, the same questions you might not even ask a close friend... it certainly expanded my experimental horizons along the way...

wscott
Quote:
Belgareth

Please don't take my following comments as criticism. They are simply a series of thought and observations.

Web-based "friendships" are definitely a 21 century phenomenon but it begs the question "Can one have anonymous friends". I believe that one can have very intense and intimate relationships over this medium but is it possible to have a friendship with someone with whom you are not aquainted. Is it reasonable to compare these electronic data packet relationships with the, now outdated, pen-friend of old?

I think that, nay I know that, the answer is "yes" it is possible to gain friends via this medium but it takes a long time and a degree of careful analysis. One cannot take the person(s) on the remote end of a connection at face value because the natural anonymity of this medium allows them to role play without risk of being able to read facial expressions or body language.

I wanted to keep this thought going but in a seperate Thread.

In less than a week I chatted, agreeded to meet and had sex with a woman I met from an online meeting place. I have to pay them to contact other members so they get no free advertising here LOL.  We were in bed in less than an hour after I got to her house. LOL  Turns out we were after all the same things and have similar intrests, some of which we discussed while I was catching my breath LOL. So hey ladies I can talk after sex and not just fall asleep!!!

And I have a few other "good" friends who under different circumstances we would get together. As I get to know more about each person I can tell if they are real. Some friends just email me and hope to meet some of them some day if things allow.

So what kind of people have some of you all met? And have you ever interacted with them on a personal level? Meaning did you ever actually meet them? Even if it was just for coffee.

Stew

The universe is unfolding as it should, and so are the girls on ISM. I love them all.

#2 June 2nd, 2005 03:33 AM

Belgareth

Re: So What Kind of Friends Have Some of you Made?

nagaloo wrote:

I wanted to keep this thought going but in a seperate Thread.

In less than a week I chatted, agreeded to meet and had sex with a woman I met from an online meeting place. I have to pay them to contact other members so they get no free advertising here LOL.  We were in bed in less than an hour after I got to her house. LOL  Turns out we were after all the same things and have similar intrests, some of which we discussed while I was catching my breath LOL. So hey ladies I can talk after sex and not just fall asleep!!!

And I have a few other "good" friends who under different circumstances we would get together. As I get to know more about each person I can tell if they are real. Some friends just email me and hope to meet some of them some day if things allow.

So what kind of people have some of you all met? And have you ever interacted with them on a personal level? Meaning did you ever actually meet them? Even if it was just for coffee.

Stew

I seem to recollect saying that I know it is possible, over the medium of the World Wide Web, to create friendships. I am naturally  very cautious and, despite my verbosity, I don't reveal intimate or personal details until I feel comfortable with the person on the other end. Having said that, there are a few (very few) people, of both sexes, within this community, with whom I have had quite personal discussions. Interestingly none were at my initiation but neither would I discuss that information with anyone else.

To get back to Stew's question - I have, over the last five years, chatted to, spoken to and met three wonderful girls via the Net, all of whom are still close friends and we get together whenever we can marry our diaries.

On the other side of the coin, I have also met half a dozen prize prats over the same period!

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#3 June 2nd, 2005 04:35 AM

wantingscott

Stew,
now i am confused... maybe it's because i'm at deadline on 3 projects and am not paying full attention... (it's 2:30pm here)

are you referring to "professional friends"?

Scott

#4 June 2nd, 2005 04:42 AM

wantingscott

oh, sorry. i just reread that.
and as far as friends under "different circumstances", isn't that at least 20% of what is so COMPLETELY cool about having a close female friend, one you can laugh your ass off with when she comes to town, when you go to her door to take her for coffee and chatting and can say to her "my god you are devistatingly gorgeous!"  with the safety of knowing there's not one part of either of you that's ever gonna "rub"... oh but you talk about EVERYTHING...

maybe that's part of me being like 45% gay on the "straight------gay" continuum... i've always had very close female friends, and it's one of the things my wife finds attractive about me, also.

#5 June 3rd, 2005 01:57 AM

nagaloo

I find I confide more in some of my online friends than some who I have known personally for years. But as I relax online I relax with some of my "real" world friends more too. I have been surprised how some of you have been very open with me. In private messaging and one on one live chats on programs like MSN. People like MrPicMe who is into motorcycle riding I may actually meet up with. But you may fine me more conserative among my friends than I am here because being too open can upset some people LOL
Stew

The universe is unfolding as it should, and so are the girls on ISM. I love them all.

#6 June 3rd, 2005 03:22 AM

Belgareth

nagaloo wrote:

I find I confide more in some of my online friends than some who I have known personally for years. But as I relax online I relax with some of my "real" world friends more too. I have been surprised how some of you have been very open with me. In private messaging and one on one live chats on programs like MSN. People like MrPicMe who is into motorcycle riding I may actually meet up with. But you may fine me more conserative among my friends than I am here because being too open can upset some people LOL
Stew

"Being too open can upset some people" - maybe but it depends upon who they are and what you are opening ;-)

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#7 June 3rd, 2005 08:41 AM

Manring

Stew,

Over the years I've had a wide range of close Internet friends, from those who never dared reveal their real name and/or location (and those to whom I'd never dare reveal either), to those I've had wonderful, deep, and repeated conversations with on the phone, to those who I've met face to face and become even closer friends, some quite intimately. Some remain close friends to this day, many years later.

I've found, personally, that the more real I am online in the way I speak, tell of myself, interact with others, etc, the more it is reciprocated. Even though we don't have the luxury of visual and aural nuances of body language or verbal speech to help us form opinions of those with whom we interact online, I've found it gets pretty easy to distinguish between those who pretend as opposed to those who are genuine. This is especially true, for me, in the more immediate interaction of live online chat.

I've always found it intriguing as hell to see how much more relaxed many are in their exploration and wondering, and talking of same, when in the comfort of familiar surrounds in their own home but connected to others through the ethers via keyboard and screen.

I believe it has allowed a far greater understanding of many things for many people than would have been otherwise possible, which in turn often allows a far greater sense of self-security and comfort in the everyday offline world.

It's a reaching out for so many, that can become so very fruitful in ways never dreamt of before. The Net is simply the best communication tool of history, if used wisely and honestly.

I'm forever grateful for the online world because of those I've met in the many ways I've described above.

Manring.

nagaloo wrote:

Stew

#8 June 3rd, 2005 09:07 PM

Jing

Well.... ive met a lot of people on the net and most of them have become very very close friends.....

i've found my best friend from the internet.

but i can tell everyone my biggest achievement is meeting my boyfriend through the internet. we met up like 2 days after we were talking and since then, we've been together and its almost 2 years now that we're together so....

friends come from all sorts of places !

and cherish those friends you have coz they may be friends for life ! tongue

#9 June 3rd, 2005 10:59 PM

SCSIgirl

Jing wrote:

Well.... ive met a lot of people on the net and most of them have become very very close friends.....

i've found my best friend from the internet.

but i can tell everyone my biggest achievement is meeting my boyfriend through the internet. we met up like 2 days after we were talking and since then, we've been together and its almost 2 years now that we're together so....

friends come from all sorts of places !

and cherish those friends you have coz they may be friends for life ! tongue

And we all love you.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

Board footer