#1 March 29th, 2005 01:24 AM

wantingscott

hate to complain, but...

Head,
call me a minimalist, but i miss the monotone and red look of the old forum. all these new colorful widgets make me feel like i'm typing into AIM (which i hate...).

the look and feel just doesn't fit in with the rest of ISM... what's next, smileys?

wscott

#2 March 29th, 2005 01:30 AM

liandra_dahl

Re: hate to complain, but...

Do I detect some luddite tendancies, wantingscott? Surely not... Actually I think this new forum has more facilities as I've been sent a private message, was it possible to do that before or is just a coincidence? What other new things can it do?

#3 March 29th, 2005 01:41 AM

wantingscott

Liandra,
dude, i am SUCH a luddite you have no idea... i have a very high-tech job that makes me work loooooong hours. so at home, or when i'm relaxing, i want none of that wink   lets see: i don't use an ATM, don't like TV all that much, love music, though (love to shake mah thing) but only fecently (reluctantly) purchased a digital camera after my beloved VHS-C went belly-up.

but- from a design standpoint, i liked the  monotone grey and red accents of the old forum. this makes an unusual departure visually from the rest of the site.

wscott

#4 March 29th, 2005 01:55 AM

liandra_dahl

You're not alone. I'm technologically backward myself. I hadn't set eyes on a digital camera untill ISM put one in my eager little hands. ATM's are just bad news, I go out intending only to spend $100 dollars max and by the morning I've emptied my entire bank account, got a paralysing headache and a mouth that tastes like I've been making out with the sidewalk... Don't even get me started on TV!

#5 March 29th, 2005 03:28 AM

Belgareth

Got to admit that I like the concept of all the facilities offered by the new forum, once I get around to investigating them but it does "shout" a bit in comparision to the previous one.
If being technologically backward is defined by a dislike of ATM, TV and anything beginning with digital, what the hell are we all doing here? This is the leading-edge, if not the bleeding-edge of technology, Heck - imagine trying to run a site like ISM without the digital in front of words ;-)

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#6 March 29th, 2005 05:11 AM

wantingscott

oh, definitely true!!!. the only way they's get my Mac and my ISP connection  from me is from my cold dead hands!!!!!  i'd live in a cave as long as i could still get online!!

#7 March 29th, 2005 09:00 AM

GusTheMynahBird

(puts on his web-designer hat)

I agree; the new scheme appears to have a bit too little contrast. Additionally, some of the buttons (most notably, the large "Post Reply" button) seem to be designed for a white background, and have glitchy white pixels hanging off their edges which show up against the grey.

I imagine that the scheme is still being tweaked, and will evolve as time goes on, though.

#8 March 29th, 2005 06:38 PM

Gimme_Danger

wantingscott wrote:

oh, definitely true!!!. the only way they's get my Mac and my ISP connection  from me is from my cold dead hands!!!!!  i'd live in a cave as long as i could still get online!!

also a devoted Macee since system 7. Hated the new look forum and glad to report its all now as it was

#9 March 29th, 2005 08:16 PM

Head

wantingscott wrote:

Head,
call me a minimalist, but i miss the monotone and red look of the old forum. all these new colorful widgets make me feel like i'm typing into AIM (which i hate...).

the look and feel just doesn't fit in with the rest of ISM... what's next, smileys?

wscott

So it's easter saturday night, I've just come back from the movies, and logged on to see how my little baby ISM is bouncing along...as you do...and there's an email from our devoted sysadmin telling me he recommends we update the forum software because there's security issues with it.  Below that is an email from him telling me he's already done it but, er, things didn't quite work out and so the pixel princesses will have to wave their wands over it on Monday.  Which they (well she) has done, and will continue to do, until all you charming chatsters 100% appprove of the decor.  OK?

#10 March 29th, 2005 09:40 PM

zimbonies

Head wrote:

So it's easter saturday night, I've just come back from the movies, and logged on to see how my little baby ISM is bouncing along...as you do...and there's an email from our devoted sysadmin telling me he recommends we update the forum software because there's security issues with it.  Below that is an email from him telling me he's already done it but, er, things didn't quite work out and so the pixel princesses will have to wave their wands over it on Monday.  Which they (well she) has done, and will continue to do, until all you charming chatsters 100% appprove of the decor.  OK?

My 2 cents --
It looks much better today than yesterday, but I was getting an error all day yesterday 'server too busy'.  That never happened with the old forum...
(Now I sound like a whiney American who doesn't like change!)

Jim

"Look at da Chort?!  He's gone mad wit power!"

#11 March 29th, 2005 11:50 PM

wantingscott

zimbonies wrote:

My 2 cents --
It looks much better today than yesterday, but I was getting an error all day yesterday 'server too busy'.  That never happened with the old forum...
(Now I sound like a whiney American who doesn't like change!)

Jim

ha ha!!! well, this fellow whiney american, who in addition is a new yorker, is usually too picky for his own good, admittedly...

#12 March 30th, 2005 01:56 AM

Belgareth

Well it makes a change from us whinning Brits :-)

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

Board footer