#1 June 15th, 2005 06:34 AM

Candide

My thread got hijacked. Who are you, part 2

I'd still like to know. At what point do you decide to do these photographs? Has anyone been dicovered on this site already by friends, family, collegues? Is this a new punk movement? The next phase of feminism? Are is it just for kicks? Does your life change after you've put the photos on the site? Tell me everything!

And hey! Let's keep this a happy thread. No bickering please.

#2 June 15th, 2005 07:13 AM

markus_av

Re: My thread got hijacked. Who are you, part 2

*throws eraser at Candide*

ooops...sorry Candide. couldn't resist  tongue

#3 June 15th, 2005 10:20 AM

Manring

Try it for youself, Candide. Most all of your questions and wonderings will be best answered if you shoot yourself. That's what this site is most about.

I suspect there are almost as many answers to your questions as there are contributors.Your own personal questions will have your own personal answers.

M.

Candide wrote:

I'd still like to know. At what point do you decide to do these photographs? Has anyone been dicovered on this site already by friends, family, collegues? Is this a new punk movement? The next phase of feminism? Are is it just for kicks? Does your life change after you've put the photos on the site? Tell me everything!

#4 June 15th, 2005 03:46 PM

Candide

Manring wrote:

Try it for youself, Candide. Most all of your questions and wonderings will be best answered if you shoot yourself. That's what this site is most about.

I suspect there are almost as many answers to your questions as there are contributors.Your own personal questions will have your own personal answers.

M.

But I'm a bloke, Manring.

#5 June 15th, 2005 04:33 PM

Manring

Ha! Well, my apologies, Candide.

Though I realize that the name is--in literature such as Candide by Voltaire--usually male, I fell prey to my own knowledge of a woman in New England by that name and made an incorrect assumption. We have more than one on this site with a confusing name.

Same thing actually still holds true though; that you could shoot yourself and present the resulting images on one of the many sites that allow for that possibility. I understand it would not be the same as this site's stated goals or interaction, but even if you never presented them elsewhere, you'd find out for yourself many of the answers you seek here.

Candide wrote:

#6 June 16th, 2005 01:30 AM

SCSIgirl

Candide wrote:

Shoot yourself anyway.  You will find that your worst critic is yourself.  If you are ANY kind of artist, sculptor, painter, etc.  you will always want another's opinion.

The hardest part, when I was doing photography for a living,  was handling the subjective nature of art work.  There were times when I was very disappointed in my work but had to get it in on a deadline,  and the client loved it.  There were other times when I was very proud of an accomplishment and the client hated it.  That's why I gave it up professionally.

If you shoot youreslf,  you will pick it apart:  my nose is too long,  I'm too fat, that pimple won't go away.  But other viewers, like yourself,  will look for the beauty first.  They will see the whole picture before picking it apart.  Let's face it,  Mick Jagger is butt ugly,  but the women of the world will list him as one of the sexiest men alive.

Shoot yourself.  Look at it with your critical eye.  Then wind up you courage and post it on a gay site under a nic.  See what comments you get.  You don't have to respond to the comments,  just 'bear the slings and arrows'.

The most common comment I get from my amateur models is: "liberating".

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#7 June 16th, 2005 01:37 AM

MrPicMe

SCSIgirl wrote:

Shoot yourself anyway.  You will find that your worst critic is yourself.  If you are ANY kind of artist, sculptor, painter, etc.  you will always want another's opinion.

-AMEN

#8 June 16th, 2005 06:59 AM

voyeur2

SCSIgirl wrote:

Obviously you want some support on revealing yourself for critical judgement as - your body is - your camera sees it guided by you - sa your sense of art, composition, and so forth.

It will be liberating to take the plunge.  he chance is miniscule an associate will see you, and - why is he there?  Might be very sympatico to the effort.  Apart from a few assholes, most people see right away the kind of personal courage - real balls- it takes to do it.  Something artists have to receive.  Critiques of what they put out for criticism.

Go for it, ya got my support.

Its not really about art its about you.

Have I ever lied to you before?

#9 June 22nd, 2005 03:07 AM

wantingscott

SCSIgirl wrote:

Then wind up you courage and post it on a gay site under a nic.  See what comments you get.  You don't have to respond to the comments,  just 'bear the slings and arrows'.

anyone care to suggest such a site? or is everyone on vacation this week?

wscott

#10 June 22nd, 2005 06:06 AM

Belgareth

wantingscott wrote:

anyone care to suggest such a site? or is everyone on vacation this week?

wscott

I know not of any such site but give me a few days and you can have one, if you all consider there is a need to be fulfilled. Anthough I get the feeling that it won't take much of my bandwidth.

It has gone quiet in here of late. Perhaps, like me, there are a few brains which gone on vaccation.

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#11 June 22nd, 2005 10:03 PM

liandra_dahl

Candide wrote:

As no other contributor has responded to your question I became overwhlemed with pity for you and decided I'd make an attempt.

I decided to do these photographs because I had heard of ISM, I thought it sounded cool and innovative, but what pushed me over the edge was finding out a woman I greatly admired had already done it. So then all qualms were pushed aside and I marched straight into the office and demanded the oppotunity to do it. Since then a few of my friends have decided to do it because I did.

I haven't been discovered, but my friend was aproached and addressed by her onsite pseudonym. We all had a bit of a giggle about it but I think she was a little freaked out.

All my friends know I've done it anyway, including my siblings and on/ off boyfriend and girlfriends. They haven't all approved but I'm not ashamed of it and those that haven't been into it have gotten used to it anyway.

I recognises girls around Melbourne that I've seen on the site. I made a mistake once at university and asked a girl in my history class if it was her and she said no. Then we got talking about what iShotMyself was and she said she was really interested and might just go and do it.

I don't think its a new punk movement

I don't even think its the next wave of feminism, but I don't find participating to be contradictory to the feminist principals I have.

It's not just for kicks, but it does give you a buzz when you get a good response for your body and/or your ideas and your photography.

It didn't change my life entirely but it changed my perspective of myself. I think wearing fashionable clothes, push up bras, heals, make up, etc are a big barrier between you and the world. This site removes that barrier, and it's liberating because you put yourself out there exactly as you are, and most of the time you get resounding approval from the sponsors. It does wonders for your self confidence. I think in a way it counteracts the girl/ woman magazines and other media that permeate your mind with the idea that if you can't live up to this ideal feminine body you can't be considered beautiful or attractive.

Once I did the photo's and got memebership, the membership had more of an effect on my life as I got to meet a few ISM contributors and members that I have become very fond of. Not to mention the fact that I watch much less TV; as I would rather be checking who's new in the folios and what's new on the forum.

Does that help?

Li x

#12 June 23rd, 2005 03:32 AM

Belgareth

liandra_dahl wrote:

Once I did the photo's and got membership, the membership had more of an effect on my life as I got to meet a few ISM contributors and members that I have become very fond of. Not to mention the fact that I watch much less TV; as I would rather be checking who's new in the folios and what's new on the forum.

Li x

I didn't shoot myself nor have I managed to meet any of the contributors (hey ho), as everyone may have gathered by now, but the rest of your statement certainly holds true from this end and it's a whole lot better than Big Brother!

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#13 June 23rd, 2005 07:57 AM

voyeur2

liandra_dahl wrote:

A
I decided to do these photographs because I had heard of ISM, I thought it sounded cool and innovative, but what pushed me over the edge was finding out a woman I greatly admired had already done it.

I haven't been discovered, but my friend was aproached and addressed by her onsite pseudonym. We all had a bit of a giggle about it but I think she was a little freaked out.

All my friends know I've done it anyway, including my siblings and on/ off boyfriend and girlfriends. They haven't all approved but I'm not ashamed of it and those that haven't been into it have gotten used to it anyway.

I don't think its a new punk movement

I don't even think its the next wave of feminism, but I don't find participating to be contradictory to the feminist principals I have.

It's not just for kicks, but it does give you a buzz when you get a good response for your body and/or your ideas and your photography.

It didn't change my life entirely but it changed my perspective of myself.

I think wearing fashionable clothes, push up bras, heals, make up, etc are a big barrier between you and the world. This site removes that barrier, and it's liberating because you put yourself out there exactly as you are, and most of the time you get resounding approval from the sponsors. It does wonders for your self confidence.

I think in a way it counteracts the girl/ woman magazines and other media that permeate your mind with the idea that if you can't live up to this ideal feminine body you can't be considered beautiful or attractive.

Once I did the photo's and got memebership, the membership had more of an effect on my life as I got to meet a few ISM contributors and members that I have become very fond of. Not to mention the fact that I watch much less TV;

Li x

I threw my TV away 8 years ago, and have more time for a life now.

It helps me a lot.  I look and read because I want to know a bit about what young women think about themselves
It is a very special sample of population and I make no general conclusions.

I don't think is a form of punk.

I think the most constant response is that whatever body type appears - there are men and women who find it attractive, beautiful, sexy.

It teaches the lie about magazine beauty, and 'classical photographic preparation".

I personally like the variety, people of intelligence, bodies that would not make the model list whatever that is, and most important - a chance to exchange views with the artists.

It is a risk - a small one - to be recognosed on the street, but that's part of the appeal, and most of us here are OK types.  The worst you might get ( I hope) would be some personal grooming tips.

Oh yeah, and I tell others that I watch this site and its cool.  I dont give a damn what they think of me for coming here.  If they approve - fine.  If they dont -so what.

So as we used to say - Keep on Truckin'

Have I ever lied to you before?

#14 June 23rd, 2005 09:13 PM

liandra_dahl

Candide wrote:

Has anyone been dicovered on this site already by friends, family, collegues?

Oh, I thought about this and I realised that I have been discovered in more ways than one. Last year some girl told my boyf at the time that they had seen me, it wasn't a big deal though because I had already told him I'd done it. Also, though this isn't exactly on topic, when I did my outdoor shoot 'alfresco' I got spied on by a middle aged man. I was happily snapping away, when I noticed he was watching from behind a tree. I just asked him to leave and he did, without saying a word. Later on an adolescent boy came along walking his dog, stood there with jaw gaping open, then left as quietly as the first intruder. T'was a  strange experience. I always wondered whether his friends would have believed him at school the next morning.

#15 June 24th, 2005 02:36 AM

wantingscott

liandra,
i do try to make it a habit to go to a very local officially posted nude beach once or twice a summer. it is so chill, people there are so laid back. no one is "peeping and creeping". i started going to help with my dysmorphia issues. my wife came last year, don't think she was a convert, thought.

i do wonder about the fully-clothed people or joggers (mostly female) who choose that 1 mile of beach to jog or run their dogs.  the rest of the beach to the east is at least a 4 mile stretch. maybe they give it a dry run first and will come back later?

scott

Board footer