#26 July 5th, 2005 04:56 AM

chrisb469

Re: What the F#@% is up! You are pushing more than the Safe!!

icheratus wrote:

I'm baffled.
All in all, it was clearly flagged what the video was, and any whimpers of protest really do smack of nanny state.  Get real.

theres a difference between TV cencorship, banning smoking in bars and saying asshole on the radio and what's being complained about here.  the first three are nanny state gone overboard in controling our lives.  the issue here is the promotions of items used for illegal, addictive and lethal drug use

#27 July 5th, 2005 02:15 PM

Manring

I really don't think the item itself, or the blurb in the store description, advocates or promotes drug use. It is carefully worded, really, and is up to the reader to infer what he or she will. I think it is a pretty nifty item, myself, and think it's kind of neat it is here.

Dandy's vid seems to have gotten under a lot of skin, caused a bit of a stir, and all she's doing is a vid, cutting up with a card some sort of powder on a mirror. It, in itself, is not illegal or promoting of anything, but to my eyes does the same thing as the blurb . . . allows you to infer what you will. And a lot of us went immediately to some sort of shock or dismay.

Yep, I thought the same thing as most of you at first . . .what, she's cutting up coke in an ISM vid? But realize that was *my* interpretation and maybe what she wants us to think, and that it could very well be a neat spoof. She's not snorting it, has not ingested anything, and has only used everyday items. It is only as suggestive as we let it be.

I am more than willing to let it play out. From Head's indications, it is harmless, and I agree already, without seeing the final third.

Perhaps we ought to check our own values, fears, and assumptions before getting all riled up, threatening to leave the site over a spoof, etc. This site is partly about debunking commonly held perceptions, so let see's what happens. If ya can't take the heat in the kitchen then get on out.

I remember in high school, I and a couple friends passed a small folded up piece of foil gum wrapper in the hallway, in clear view of the football coach, knowing full well it was empty and that it could be misconstrued as dangerous, harmful, and illegal. Caused a bit of a stir then, too. We did it to show the same thing that Dandy's vid might, that assuming often leads to incorrect conclusions and potential embarassment. We proved a point that day, to ourselves and to the coach.

#28 July 5th, 2005 02:42 PM

nagaloo

Manring wrote:

I really don't think the item itself, or the blurb in the store description, advocates or promotes drug use.

Yep, I thought the same thing as most of you at first . . .what, she's cutting up coke in an ISM vid?

I am more than willing to let it play out.

We did it to show the same thing that Dandy's vid might, that assuming often leads to incorrect conclusions and potential embarassment. We proved a point that day, to ourselves and to the coach.

Well I asumed right away it wasn't what it appeared to be. But if you hang out with crows and you are a parrot, some day you will get shot eating the farmers corn with them.

I think it was bad judgement on Heads part to let it be done like it was or if Dandy came up with it herself, to not suggest she use something else. If it had been anything but white powder I would have been ok with it.

Its the implication that its coke not is it coke that upsets me.
Stew

The universe is unfolding as it should, and so are the girls on ISM. I love them all.

#29 July 5th, 2005 08:33 PM

MrPicMe

Forget for a moment that the "Stash Safe" implies that it is for drug use; I am shocked, however, at how FEW the number of complaints are for the commercial advertising of ANYTHING that is trying to be passed of as ISM product that is not just good artful photography of oneself!

…I guess I will have to reminisce about the days when I was chastised for posting, on the open forum no less, an image of a pro-tennis player wearing a faux-see thru skirt. Where are your sensibilities people?

#30 July 5th, 2005 10:12 PM

chrisb469

Manring wrote:

I Dandy's vid seems to have gotten under a lot of skin, caused a bit of a stir, and all she's doing is a vid, cutting up with a card some sort of powder on a mirror. .

to be honest the powder on the mirror was only part of it.  i dont know the girl but the girl in that video seems very different from the one who first captured our hearts flashing in public and doing rude things in the back of her car.

She seemed very hyper, and it was the way she was talking and acting that made me think it was coke.  If I'd JUST seen the poweder I'd probably have assumed it was a joke but I've seen people on coke and Dandy is one hell of an actress if she was clean.

#31 July 5th, 2005 11:32 PM

cfd339

The powder (assumed to be an opiate of whatever kind) didn't add anything of a sexy, humorous or artistic nature to the video.  What it did do was make Dandy look like a foolish little girl. 

The impression I've gotten is that many of the women who participate here view it as a statement about their own maturity with their body.  They probably get a kick out of the impact it has on a bunch of anonymous men and women out here that like to look at them.  It is overall a positive part of their sense of self.

In my (not so) humble opinion, the real impact of Dandy's published coke use (lets be real) is to reflect a harsh light on her own and many of the other portfolios.  Its a light which cheapens and degrades.  So many of these folios can be viewed if not as high art, then at least as an admiration and even worship of the stunning form of these young bodies.  This light tends to blast much of that away and leave only the basest of imagery visible.

#32 July 7th, 2005 02:45 AM

liandra_dahl

cfd339 wrote:

The powder (assumed to be an opiate of whatever kind) didn't add anything of a sexy, humorous or artistic nature to the video.  What it did do was make Dandy look like a foolish little girl. 

The impression I've gotten is that many of the women who participate here view it as a statement about their own maturity with their body.  They probably get a kick out of the impact it has on a bunch of anonymous men and women out here that like to look at them.  It is overall a positive part of their sense of self.

In my (not so) humble opinion, the real impact of Dandy's published coke use (lets be real) is to reflect a harsh light on her own and many of the other portfolios.  Its a light which cheapens and degrades.  So many of these folios can be viewed if not as high art, then at least as an admiration and even worship of the stunning form of these young bodies.  This light tends to blast much of that away and leave only the basest of imagery visible.

I am completely apalleded by your interpretation of one folio and mostly how you believe it reflects on the whole site.

"This light tends to blast much of that away and leave only the basest of imagery visible."

I have to say I'm becoming repelled by some of the people that join this site and their immense ignorance to the female and to sexuality.

I was initially so enraptured, and now, so very dissappointed. I can't even be bothered to check my spelling and grammar

I think Dandy is entitled to propagate what ever she does. I DO think it was the wrong line for the site to promote and associate themselves with the stash safe.

Whether I take drugs or not, I have watched people I love DIE and suffer from the abuse of drugs and it is not a laughing or gimmick creating matter.

Fake movies. films. adverts that the like exist about drugs, and other such life issues, initialy exist to empathises and extend understanding, but quickly it becomes a market of fear. Sadly the homo sapient is entertainend by fear and violence. We enjoy veiwing the pain of others. Programmes like SVU and Law and Order show repeated cases of rape, and they are watched in record numbers, not because they change it, or stop it, or make any difference; though they might hope it does, but becuase it reinforces the fear that is instilled in women.  I know I am hated, I know people wish me to SHUT THE FUCK UP! BUT WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT ME! I DON"T WANT TO BE AFRAID ANYMORE! WHY AM I HERE!

#33 July 7th, 2005 03:09 AM

liandra_dahl

liandra_dahl wrote:

I am completely apalleded by your interpretation of one folio and mostly how you believe it reflects on the whole site.

"This light tends to blast much of that away and leave only the basest of imagery visible."

I have to say I'm becoming repelled by some of the people that join this site and their immense ignorance to the female and to sexuality.

I was initially so enraptured, and now, so very dissappointed. I can't even be bothered to check my spelling and grammar

I think Dandy is entitled to propagate what ever she does. I DO think it was the wrong line for the site to promote and associate themselves with the stash safe.

Whether I take drugs or not, I have watched people I love DIE and suffer from the abuse of drugs and it is not a laughing or gimmick creating matter.

Fake movies. films. adverts that the like exist about drugs, and other such life issues, initialy exist to empathises and extend understanding, but quickly it becomes a market of fear. Sadly the homo sapient is entertainend by fear and violence. We enjoy veiwing the pain of others. Programmes like SVU and Law and Order show repeated cases of rape, and they are watched in record numbers, not because they change it, or stop it, or make any difference; though they might hope it does, but becuase it reinforces the fear that is instilled in women.  I know I am hated, I know people wish me to SHUT THE FUCK UP! BUT WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT ME! I DON"T WANT TO BE AFRAID ANYMORE! WHY AM I HERE!

Please excuse me, of course the stash safe is just a bit of harmless fun. I'm sure the people that created it have a complete understanding of those they're marketing it for, they know the ins and outs of the very dark nature of the world of narcotics and they're not meanining to take it lightly in any sense. Lets be honest, its better to do drugs and deal with your stash "safely" than to go to jail. For those of you who have been to jail, you know what I am talking about!

#34 July 7th, 2005 03:43 AM

ixnay3

nagaloo wrote:

There are drugs out there that once is enough to get fucked for good.
STEWART

No, there are not. Put those toys back in the pram and come down to earth. I have taken and enjoyed every recreational drug there is with the exception of angel dust and ketamine. I have done this often and in large quantities and I'm here to tell you there is no such thing as "once is enough to get hooked"
The only thing I am addicted to as of now is alcohol. If you think that the photo set is in bad taste, well fair enough but please dont over react and get all fundamentalist on our asses! Its really not meant to be offensive  - just fun.

#35 July 7th, 2005 03:58 AM

MrPicMe

liandra_dahl wrote:

Please excuse me, of course the stash safe is just a bit of harmless fun.

Harmless? Fun? What place does an advertisment have in the folio sets?

#36 July 7th, 2005 07:12 AM

nagaloo

ixnay3 wrote:

No, there are not. Put those toys back in the pram and come down to earth. I have taken and enjoyed every recreational drug there is with the exception of angel dust and ketamine. I have done this often and in large quantities and I'm here to tell you there is no such thing as "once is enough to get hooked"
The only thing I am addicted to as of now is alcohol. If you think that the photo set is in bad taste, well fair enough but please dont over react and get all fundamentalist on our asses! Its really not meant to be offensive  - just fun.

So your'e saying that shit like crystal meth made from shit from moms cleaning suplies, your bathroom and dads work shop is good to have in your body????

You must be on something!!

Read this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/drugs … lmeth.html

Here's a few clips:

The withdrawal symptoms, especially the depression and physical agony, are reported by addiction counsellors to be worse than heroin or cocaine, and often addicts will drop out of recovery programs.

With increasing use of the drug, there are strong indications that users suffer brain damage, including memory impairment and an increasing inability to grasp abstract thoughts. Those who do manage to recover from addiction and retain memory and the ability to function in society are usually subject to some memory gaps and extreme mood swings.
From CBC News web site

Oh yea give me some of that.

Anyone who thinks drugs are great needs a reality check. Some help people but all can be abused.
Stew

The universe is unfolding as it should, and so are the girls on ISM. I love them all.

#37 July 7th, 2005 07:21 AM

enigmatic3

MrPicMe wrote:

Harmless? Fun? What place does an advertisment have in the folio sets?

I Shot Myself is a business.  It's selling stuff to make money, be it pictures of women or frightfully amusing trinkets to store your - nudge nudge, wink wink - "stash" in.  At least this ad kills the myth that this is some kind of art collective that we're "sponsoring".

My only problem with the ad was that it WASN'T FUNNY.  A satire about Class A drugs needs a few laughs, non?  It's hardly Chris Morris.

#38 July 7th, 2005 09:35 AM

ixnay3

"So your'e saying that shit like crystal meth made from shit from moms cleaning suplies, your bathroom and dads work shop is good to have in your body????

No, I am not saying that. Nor am I advocating the use of drugs. I was disputing your claim that you can get hooked from taking a drug once.

#39 July 7th, 2005 12:37 PM

ilana

Kids, kids, kids, I think everyone needs a glass of warm milk and some nap time before this arguement turns into an all out cat fight.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about the stash stafe video, some find it amusing, some are bemused by it, whilst others just think it's in plain bad taste.  I think everyone has voiced their opinions loud and clear and now this thread is degenerating into pointless quibbling and bickering. 

Yes, it's fair enough for those who are opposed to the video and it's apparent promotion of 'drugs', but hang on a sec guys - who are you to push your beliefs onto others in such an aggresive way?  It's a bit unfair to label every single person who uses/tries drugs as stupid and 'fucked-up', but then I'm sure there are many people out there that would view you subscribing to an adult nude photography site to be lewd and repulsive.  We fellow subscribers of course know better because we know what the site is about and support it 100%.  But what I'm saying is that everyone has their own opinions, and even though you think you may be morally just in voicing them, you need to consider other people, the generalisations you're making and how most importantly - how relevant your opinions are to the actual matter at hand, perhaps wait until you've seen the whole series until you start jumping to conclusions.

Good on you, Dandy, for doing something a bit out of the ordinary and riling up the ISM forums a bit.  And just in time also, I was starting to get a bit bored by the pissing competition going on with most of the boys here.

#40 July 7th, 2005 12:39 PM

nagaloo

ixnay3 wrote:

"So your'e saying that shit like crystal meth made from shit from moms cleaning suplies, your bathroom and dads work shop is good to have in your body????

No, I am not saying that. Nor am I advocating the use of drugs. I was disputing your claim that you can get hooked from taking a drug once.

Sometimes it just takes once to lead to other things.

Stew

#41 July 7th, 2005 12:42 PM

catt

enigmatic3 wrote:

I Shot Myself is a business.  It's selling stuff to make money, be it pictures of women or frightfully amusing trinkets to store your - nudge nudge, wink wink - "stash" in.  At least this ad kills the myth that this is some kind of art collective that we're "sponsoring".

My only problem with the ad was that it WASN'T FUNNY.  A satire about Class A drugs needs a few laughs, non?  It's hardly Chris Morris.

I'd love to see Chris Morris Shoot Himself.  I wouldn't sleep for days.

*ahem*  I'm going to jump in here on a slight tangent, so bear with.

We're all regularly perusing a site which contains graphic nudity, yet bandying on about morality and ethics.  We've all had our experiences, known someone who has died/suffered, dabbled ourselves (yet still set our own boundaries for what recreatinonal drugs are 'okay', and what are not), gotten addicted straight away or not at all, and been either revolted or amused by the Dandy Stash Safe video.

Social climate is constantly shifting, taboos are dissapated (then re-structured), and, most importantly, everyone is different.  Interpretation/opinion is just that.  Whatever your view on the video, are you not grateful to be in a forum where you are inspired to think, be offended, have your thoughts provoked and reshuffled?

Flexibility of opinion is a fine trait indeed.  Let's celebrate the fact that we can still be outraged and inspired, and are fortunate enough to have a medium through which to express it.

the beauty of simplicity is the complexity it attracts.

#42 July 7th, 2005 01:19 PM

Head

Nobody is promoting the use of drugs.
Dandy tells us the SS is ideal for keeping condoms handy, an explicitly positive message.
It's meant to be infotainment.  It has a naked girl in it (coming up).
It's not a 3rd party ad, we're plugging our swag.
It hasn't bumped any paid content out of the schedule so you haven't missed out on anything. (i.e. we paid for it, you didn't.)

This was all my idea, yet I've never done any drugs (ok so I inhaled as few times).  You are all big boys and girls who (I would hope) can make your own sensible life choices.  If anybody watches this series of videos and feels encouraged to do drugs, well you're probably not really ready for the rest of what's on here.

#43 July 7th, 2005 08:40 PM

enigmatic3

catt wrote:

I'd love to see Chris Morris Shoot Himself.  I wouldn't sleep for days.

*ahem*  I'm going to jump in here on a slight tangent, so bear with.

We're all regularly perusing a site which contains....

Was quite a tangent!  Basically you're saying that freedom of speech is A Good Thing, yes?  My only complaint about the advert was that it wasn't very good.  Let's hope for better things in parts 2 and 3!

Re. Chris Morris, not a fan?  I thought the "anti drug" episode of Brass Eye was fantastic.

#44 July 7th, 2005 10:05 PM

MrPicMe

enigmatic3 wrote:

I have no problem with ISM pawning its trinkets, just keep that crap seperate from the folio sets...

#45 July 8th, 2005 12:07 AM

catt

enigmatic3 wrote:

Was quite a tangent!  Basically you're saying that freedom of speech is A Good Thing, yes?  My only complaint about the advert was that it wasn't very good.  Let's hope for better things in parts 2 and 3!

Re. Chris Morris, not a fan?  I thought the "anti drug" episode of Brass Eye was fantastic.

Yes, I sure know how to tangent with the big guns.

No, I *like* Chris Morris!  Firstly, with Big Train, but mainly with Jam.  If you haven't seen the latter, do seek it out.  It's...terrifying.

(And I only tagged on to your comment so I could talk about Chris...*S*)

the beauty of simplicity is the complexity it attracts.

#46 July 8th, 2005 01:35 AM

nagaloo

Just so none of the girls stop posting folios I wont be leaving anytime soon. The only reason I would leave ISM is if I went broke. Or got hooked on coke or something and was spending my money on drugs.

Stew

#47 July 9th, 2005 06:19 AM

enigmatic3

catt wrote:

(And I only tagged on to your comment so I could talk about Chris...*S*)

Ah.  All becomes clear.  Jam was quite something, wasn't it?  And Jaaaaamm!  Did you ever hear Blue Jam, the original radio series?  (Check out the archive!) Now *that* was an experience.  Aurally psychedelic, since we are or were talking about drugs.  But The Day Today & Brass Eye still remain, in my ever so humble opinion, the zenith of his televisual work so far.  His short film was v. disappointing but he remains one of those satirists whose work will always be interesting on some level.

#48 July 9th, 2005 11:00 AM

cfd339

A shame, L.D.

My point is that what makes this site positive, is the mature expression of self.  What I saw in that video was not mature or positive in my opinion.   Yes, that reflects poorly on the rest of the site.  Again, in my opinion.

TTS

liandra_dahl wrote:

#49 July 9th, 2005 08:31 PM

EgonArbus

A person who needs drugs is a person who cannot see, he/she is an inept visualiser!  I do not need the narcotic to empower me.  My power of visualisation is a naked power!

Liandra, it might surprise you to learn this, but I don't think anybody really wants to know you.  Can individuals really be known anyway?  I think only fictional characters can actually be known!

Oh, and Dandy is not a spectacle, she is a service!

#50 July 10th, 2005 05:25 AM

voyeur2

EgonArbus wrote:

A person who needs drugs is a person who cannot see, he/she is an inept visualiser!  I do not need the narcotic to empower me.  My power of visualisation is a naked power!

Liandra, it might surprise you to learn this, but I don't think anybody really wants to know you.  Can individuals really be known anyway?  I think only fictional characters can actually be known!

Oh, and Dandy is not a spectacle, she is a service!

Hmmm.  Drugs and choice.  I have ingested and/or inhaled a number of drugs besides  doctor prescribed ones.

Tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, LSD, speed, cocaine, opium, psylocybin, hash, marajuana, sex.  I might have some of the spellings wrong.

The absolute toughest to kick was tobacco.  After 20 years it has still such an internal yearning in times of stress that I know one puff will have me hooked again. 

I still drink (moderately) and have sex as often as I can. (less often than at 18).

The rest was experimentation of various durations up to 4 years.  The thing is, I do not have an addict's personality, so when I stopped - it was relatively easy.

Tobaccoand alcohol kill  more than most drugs.  I don't know the figures but I think they are the top 2 killers.  They just take longer to develop into cancer, emphezima and chirossis of the liver  Although a split second at 90 mph kills drunks as easy as pie, along with womever rides with them and whomever they hit.  These drugs are legal.

As for the rest, I think - let them decide how to fuck their lives up, we can't mother everyone.  It hurts to watch the more you love people.

The biggest degrading thing about the illegal drugs is the shame, the price, the secrecy the repugnant things ya gotta do to get off when its 25 a lid and you have no job, too strung out to work and The Man wants cash.

So make them free.  Feed them, give them the drugs they need for their despair, give them their illusion of comfort,.  When their there, maybe you can try to cure the addictive personalityy.  Dry them out when they are ready, do not judge them, mourn when they pass.

Let them decide when to stop.  Any other way is mere coersion, a fast fix to make the fixer feel good, and will not work in the long run.

And yes I do mourn old friends who could not handle this life, and another doing life in some French jail since 1968 when he was caught bringing  a key from Morrocco through Marseille to Canada.  A bit of cheap hash for friends.  Not a dealer - just a nice guy.

And by the way I am quite fascinated by Liandra's courage in being whom she wants, acknowledging her outer fringish sexual taste in public, her opinions on a variety of subjects.

She is an impressively mature and self confident person for her age.  I would like to know more about her mind.

Also others who have put versions of themselves up here for us to see.

So there, I have said my piece, wanna argue?

Have I ever lied to you before?

Board footer