#51 June 12th, 2005 07:50 PM

voyeur2

Re: Hello Everyone

liandra_dahl wrote:

Sorry Zille, I think I might have dragged the thread back down again.

I am mostly in the corner of my living room. So no semi-clothed lounging on the bed here. Sorry that's not very exciting.

It is summer here in France.  I compute from the loft / mezzanine of my home beneath a Velux window listening to the birds tweeting in the trees.  I wear whatever the hell I damned well feel like, and captain my starship from here.  I am surrounded by books and hi tech gear on custom made furniture (design and fabrication - yours truly.  Although there are horisontal and vertical elements, there are practically no right angles, and a few curves.

( I reach out and flip a virtual switch, setting MrPicMeeee on 'ignore' because I do not understand his recent - reply - to one of my posts.  His stuff is irrelevant, no need to read it.)

And yes it is relevant to share a few details of our humdrum lives.  It makes the forum more of a community.  Our ordinariness encourages other regular folk to participate.  It keeps the quality up.

Have I ever lied to you before?

#52 June 12th, 2005 07:50 PM

Belgareth

trebora wrote:

Sometimes I sit here reading forums and the thought hits me.  Where are people using there computers.   Are they sitting in a dark corner of the basement clicking away laughing manicly with glee as they plot to take over the world.  Or is it a sunlit room.  Are they sitting out at a sidewalk cafe sipping coffee.  What noises are there in the background.  What type of facial expressions are the person writting the post making.

Yeah I know its all silly but sometimes I wonder about these things.

I agree with Zille, it's not silly but, as the saying goes, "Curiosity killed the Cat".

At the risk of you losing another life I, like Liandra_Dahl, am parked in the corner of a room which, in my case, I can only describe as a Computer Room, as it's half full of machines performing various tasks. It's hardly a pleasant, relaxing environment, however the odd chuckle, laugh or curse, caused by my reading of this forum, can be heard over the noise of the system fans.

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#53 June 13th, 2005 06:16 AM

Gimme_Danger

I am actually sitting in the corner of a basement room but I am not plotting to take over the world. I live in a Georgian house and the semi basement is turned over to my home business so that where my Mac is. I have all my shit down here [all my music is here and my painting stuff] so its like what Americans would call 'a den' too.

#54 June 13th, 2005 07:34 AM

SCSIgirl

trebora wrote:

Sometimes I sit here reading forums and the thought hits me.  Where are people using there computers.   Are they sitting in a dark corner of the basement clicking away laughing manicly with glee as they plot to take over the world.  Or is it a sunlit room.  Are they sitting out at a sidewalk cafe sipping coffee.  What noises are there in the background.  What type of facial expressions are the person writting the post making.

Yeah I know its all silly but sometimes I wonder about these things.

I hope one of us is enough of an artist to draw up all the descriptions that are presented.  I think it is interesting that Trebora (considering his enviroment) posed this question.  I am reminded of the scene in 2010 where the astronauts where idling considering what they don't like about spaceship life,  And the comment I like the most was:  " I miss green.  Trees, grass, and stuff."  Let's see if I can make you homesick, T.

I live in the Santa Cruz mountains,  a couple of miles outside town.  My "computer room" is my office and what, to a normal family, would be the dining room.  Out side my window is only green:  several variety of pine, sequoias, bay and scrub oak.  The only house visible is a spanish theme ranchette on the other side of the canyon.  (As a matter of fact,  it is the only house that can be seen from any window in my house.)  I slide the window open  (it's never fully shut) and the Santa Cruz sea breaze drifts through.

The best description for my cubby is "cluttered".  I have stacks of things that are never to be used again: ZIP discs, Floppys, VHS tapes....   If I spin the chair 180d I face my business desk,  an old oak rolltop  with it's own computer dedicated just to 'survival programs'  (Quicken, Excel, etc).

The background noise is the hum of my many-fanned computers or the refrig,  unless the blue jays are doing their morning squwak.  Sometimes my teenage daughter is watching her drivel programs on the TV.  Sometimes she inturrupts my posting to unload on me her boyfriend problems.  (Her interruptions are always welcome).  Speaking of which,  my son stole my dictionary to press a flower his girlfriend gave him and I haven't beeen able to spell since.

The window faces due East  (Hi all you East coasters)  so early mornings are not only 'sunlit',  it's more like a full salvo from the Bismark.  I work in theatre so I spend most of my work in the dark.  When I'm off work I always try and be in the light.

Sorry to get so self-indulgent,  but this is the longest I have ever lived in one location and I love it here.  Although being next to Zille while she's posting would be neat too.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#55 June 14th, 2005 11:31 AM

trebora

SCSIgirl wrote:

I hope one of us is enough of an artist to draw up all the descriptions that are presented.  I think it is interesting that Trebora (considering his enviroment) posed this question.  I am reminded of the scene in 2010 where the astronauts where idling considering what they don't like about spaceship life,  And the comment I like the most was:  " I miss green.  Trees, grass, and stuff."  Let's see if I can make you homesick, T.

You're not a nice man.  Last night in the lounge the conversation turned to missing thunder and lightning.  If anyone wants some amusement go to christchurch cathedral square in the end of august and the beginning of oct and watch the retuning winterovers.  Look for the really pale pasty white people that goths look and and say damn they are pale.

Colors noises and smells are a new experince. 

Just for an interesting fact.  They have done a few psych studies down here to get an idea for long term space missions.

You know what I think they never take into account in these studies.  Sex

---
One by one, the penguins slowly steal my sanity
---

#56 June 14th, 2005 11:53 AM

Head

trebora wrote:

Just for an interesting fact.  They have done a few psych studies down here to get an idea for long term space missions.

You know what I think they never take into account in these studies.  Sex

NASA deny they've tested sex in space but I don't believe them.  At least one of those female astronauts had to be a zero-G sex-test dummy (no shortage of male volunteers I'm sure), given the notion of certain americans that they will save the world.  Remember Dr Strangelove? 

I read that Antarctic blog you pointed to, Trebora, and it sounds like quite a rotating bonkathon down there.  I'm interested in the sexual politics.  How different are they to up here, given the male-female ratio and the whole supply and demand thing?

#57 June 14th, 2005 01:06 PM

trebora

Head wrote:

I read that Antarctic blog you pointed to, Trebora, and it sounds like quite a rotating bonkathon down there.  I'm interested in the sexual politics.  How different are they to up here, given the male-female ratio and the whole supply and demand thing?

A few of us were talking over dinner about a month ago and one guy brought up a point.  All the super wild crazy stuff happened the year before you stated coming down here or during the year you took a break.  Some stuff gets exaggerated in the telling.  For example a little while back two girls were in the bar and started hugging and kissing on each other.  Now from the stories I’ve heard you’d think there was mad crazy lesbian monkey sex happening right there on the shuffleboard table.  Truth is they were both drunk and someone had made a comment and they acted on it and nothing actually happened.  But the flip side is not all stories are exaggerated at all and not all stories are told.

Antarctic Relationships According to Bob

Everything here happens at light speed when it comes to relationships.  We all work together, drink together, eat together and play together.  You can’t get away from people.  Off the ice you might meet a girl at the bar sat night.  You call her on Monday or Tuesday and meet again on Friday.  Maybe see each other again Sat night.  Here you could hook up Saturday and be living together in time it took you to get to the first date off the ice.

Right now there are 249 of us here.  27% are women.  Now then of those sixtysomeodd women over half are currently in a relationship with someone down here. So just for fun we’ll say 30 are available to date.  Now subtract the lesbians.  That puts us about 20 or so.  Now subtract the ones older ladies say 50+ and that puts us at about 15.  Okay now we have to go with do you like heavier women?  If you don’t care then fine but if you do have issues then were down to 7-10 women on station available. 

Now lets go to the guys.  We’ll go with 170 guys for a nice round number.  So we’ve got the 30-40 that are dating or married to someone down here.  We’ll say 60 just to knock out the ones that have family back home too.  There are 110 guys potentially available then.  I don’t know of any guys openly gay but there is a couple I’m sure.  So let’s say 100 guys available.  Go figure the odds.

Women here have a lot of power unfortunately.  Why unfortunately, because many women coming down here are not used to the amount of attention they get.  It’s a heady thing I’m sure to have so many guys after you.  This can lead to problems between guys with the whole territorial thing going on, alpha male and all that.  Though generally everything settles down after a month or so until the mid season switch.

The mid season switch is interesting.  During the first month of the season there is a lot of try before you buy going on.  Then everything settles down and life moves on.  Then for some reason at the middle of the season there are mass breakups and changes in relationships.  It’s interesting to watch.  Every season it happens like clockwork.

Another interesting part of relationships.  If you sit with a girl for dinner more than once you are sleeping with her.  If you talk to her more than once in the hallways you are trying to sleep with her. 

We work 6 days a week here Monday through Saturday.  Sunday rather than lunch and breakfast they server a Brunch.  Sunday Brunch is another interesting dynamic.  Who is sitting with who and what were they doing last night.  One of the guys came up with the acronym TAOS (Tapping Ass on Sunday) for the Saturday night hookup.  Crude but funny. On a side note this guy hasn’t hooked up yet much to his displeasure.

---
One by one, the penguins slowly steal my sanity
---

Board footer