#1 January 31st, 2017 10:13 AM

Ivy_Jean

Nude Art Photographer

Here is an incredible photographer I've been really digging lately. As a photographer myself, I'm constantly searching for new inspiration!
Enter, Polly Penrose! Polly produces some BEAUTIFUL nude self-portrait photography, using the human form as a prop to create still, serene imagery.

http://pollypenrose.com/

“My body is a prop. I go into these spaces and I use it to get the best picture that I can in that space, the most interesting, dynamic… The one thing that I did think was when I was taking them was that I’m strong. I’m quite good at gymnastics, I’m quite bendy. I think that seeing a body do those things is interesting and I wanted to show a women’s body. They are not sexual and I didn’t want any (thing) sexual. I’m not against it, I love beautiful alluring pictures of women, it was more documenting a performance of a body within a space and what it can (do in that space), and I wanted it to be strong, dynamic, capable, interesting. I didn’t want to lie around in on a chaise lounge. My body is not spectacular; it’s not fat, it’s not thin, it’s just quite a normal body. So you don’t look at my body and go ‘oh my god, look at that body’ you go ‘look at that body in the space’.”

Last edited by Ivy_Jean (January 31st, 2017 10:14 AM)

~ ISM Editor ~

#2 January 31st, 2017 05:56 PM

trevor

Re: Nude Art Photographer

As a photographer myself, I too applaud Polly Penrose's work.  Ivy, thank you for bringing it to our attention.  And, as you yourself are a photographer, might you also share your own work with us?

#3 February 1st, 2017 04:09 PM

Ivy_Jean

trevor wrote:

As a photographer myself, I too applaud Polly Penrose's work.  Ivy, thank you for bringing it to our attention.  And, as you yourself are a photographer, might you also share your own work with us?

Hello again, Trevor!

I don't have my work on a public platform as yet, but it is something I will think about working towards in the future.

What kind of photography do you enjoy? Portraits, landscapes, street photography?

~ ISM Editor ~

#4 February 1st, 2017 10:11 PM

trevor

Ivy, I enjoy a wide range of photographic styles---except the truly negative, nihilistic often seen in so-called street photography.  My own style is spontaneous (the term "street photography" is now rather too wide and therefore misleading in my opinion); that is whatever catches my eye but not very often posed or set up.  My eye undoubtedly has been greatly influenced by great paintings, drawings and sculpture over the ages and regions of the world, not just western art.  I've been too shy to ask people to take their clothes off so thus far, no nudes.  And you, can you tell us about how you shoot and what you enjoy both shooting and viewing in others' works?

#5 February 8th, 2017 09:42 AM

Ivy_Jean

Ah yes, I agree. It would be difficult to pinpoint my style or my inspiration to a single genre, same goes for camera choice. I shoot film on an old Minolta, and a Nikon film slr, along with digital full frame Canon. I really enjoy female photographers who use concepts and shapes to create an image like an artwork. Francesca Woodman is one of my favorites. I have been inspired by photographers like her to create my own images over the years. I also love to wander the streets and capture things that catch my eye, especially in the golden hour.

~ ISM Editor ~

#6 February 8th, 2017 06:06 PM

trevor

I cannot wait to see some of your work, Ivy; perhaps a retrospective of sorts?  The golden hour.  Lovely.  I also call it the hour of the long shadows.  You undoubtedly also understand the Italian idea/ideal of the "suggestivo" which perhaps translates best into English as "evocative".  You would love wandering around the untouristed backstreets and alleyways of Italian cities and villages, as well as ancient Roman and Greek ruins.  There are even a few villages deserted in the more modern eras after disasterous earthquakes that are hugely suggestivo.  With or without camera, one can wander for hours in such places.  The streets of the historic centre of Rome are also truly a marvel in the early morning hours or almost anytime in the winter when there are few tourists, especially in the alleys where one can still find small artisinal shops and where there aren't hideosuly ugly cars.  And on the subject of automobiles, Venice is unique in its absence of cars, motorcycles and even bicycles---a wonderland as long as you go in the dead of winter (your summer, of course) when there are few tourists and no cruise ships and tour buses dumping thousands of tourists daily.  Have you visited Italy?  If not, you must come; If you have, you must return.  Ah yes, I know that someday I must visit Melbourne.  By all I have read and been told by friends who know the city well, it is a wonderful place; rich in its modern culture.

Hmm, I suppose this is a bit off topic for a thread on nude art photography but is this not the nature of the best conversations?  To bring it back round, I recently came across a delicious video of body painting with a soundtrack of Mozart's overture to the Marriage of Figaro. Perfect for those of us who also love classical music and opera. If I can manage to find it again, I'll post the web address.

Board footer