#1 November 19th, 2013 09:01 PM

artemesia

Lazy Research...

So I should do this myself, but why waste an opportunity for a whole community to contribute? And this way I can save myself a heap of my own effort (fingers-crossed)...

I need to find some amazing feminists of history. Who's your favorite?

I guess mine is Emma Goldman (but cause she's sooo anarcho- she was against marriage way before every other hipster i know)...

#2 November 19th, 2013 09:10 PM

artemesia

Re: Lazy Research...

"I do not believe in God, because I believe in man. Whatever his mistakes, man has for thousands of years past been working to undo the botched job your God has made."

"Love, the strongest and deepest element in all life, the harbinger of hope, of joy, of ecstasy; love, the defier of all laws, of all conventions; love, the freest, the most powerful moulder of human destiny; how can such an all-compelling force be synonymous with that poor little State and Church-begotten weed, marriage?
Free love? As if love is anything but free! Man has bought brains, but all the millions in the world have failed to buy love. Man has subdued bodies, but all the power on earth has been unable to subdue love. Man has conquered whole nations, but all his armies could not conquer love. Man has chained and fettered the spirit, but he has been utterly helpless before love. High on a throne, with all the splendor and pomp his gold can command, man is yet poor and desolate, if love passes him by. And if it stays, the poorest hovel is radiant with warmth, with life and color. Thus love has the magic power to make of a beggar a king. Yes, love is free; it can dwell in no other atmosphere."

SO MANY QUOTES! You can listen to all her essays for free here

https://librivox.org/anarchism-and-othe … a-goldman/

the connection says it's untrusted, but nothing ventured nothing gained i suppose, you can always find a way to pay for it too i bet, but the lady who reads it here is mega passionate (she seems like a lovely lady to spend 14hrs with in other circumstances too)

#3 November 20th, 2013 08:52 AM

Laney
Administrator

I know she's not exactly a big player but one of my personal favourite feminists is Kaz Cooke smile. I read her book 'Real Gorgeous' when I was a lot younger and it taught me for the first time that cosmetic/makeup/fashion companies profit from making you feel insecure, it's ok to have hairy legs, pubes and armpits, and that you have the right to love your body exactly how it is. It's out of print now but most of the info is on this website.

I looks forward to hearing about everyone else's favourite feminists. And thanks for the
Emma Goldman essays, I'll listen to them while I work today.

Last edited by Laney (November 20th, 2013 10:00 AM)

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#4 November 20th, 2013 11:31 AM

artemesia

bell hooks....

bell hooks is freaking cool~ is it cause she has her name in all lower-case ???

"We all need to remember that visionary feminist goal which is not of a women running the world as is, but a women doing our part to change the world so that freedom and justice, the opportunity to have optimal well-being, can be equally shared by everyone – female and male." (and trans-bodied too!)

— bell hooks, ‘Dig Deep: Beyond Lean In’

heaps of links on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMuEJhlWSvA

#5 November 20th, 2013 11:46 AM

artemesia

ugh, fuck feminism, just lost 3hrs of my day to campaigning, and all i wanna do is practise, waaaaahhhh

#6 November 20th, 2013 11:49 AM

Laney
Administrator

What were you campaigning for?

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#7 November 21st, 2013 10:57 AM

artemesia

Stilll...

community building exercise atm really

#8 November 23rd, 2013 01:58 AM

millyvawilly

Gloria Steinem was and is incredible.

#9 December 3rd, 2013 11:33 AM

artemesia

Disability Awareness Day today..
http://stellayoung.com/
^^This lady rocks!

also I am desperately in love with Stacey-Ann Chin and her poetry, check out All Oppression is Connected on youtube- wow.

#10 December 13th, 2013 04:34 AM

paranoid24

Do you know Alexandra David-Neel? Not exactly an activist but not really a conformist either. She became a Buddhist and went in Tibet, in the early XXth century. She became a holy woman there.

Louise Michel was an anarchist of the late XIXth century. I have read some of their texts. A school is named after her in my area. Although it is probably posthumous, it is regrettable that the term is often used in a pejorative way.

#11 December 13th, 2013 09:40 AM

artemesia

She looks cool! Thanks paranoid- anarchist is a funny term like that, I guess most people use it as a way to discredit separatists, but not in my little bubble of the world. Will definitely check out her writings!

Board footer