#1 June 26th, 2013 03:18 PM

artemesia

we just lost the right to abortion in Texas

this just happened...

i watched the texan floor live, and saw it happen.

i am too bummed to tell you anything more, google some shit ok?

#2 June 26th, 2013 04:33 PM

viva

Re: we just lost the right to abortion in Texas

Yeah.

What they're doing, state by state, is worse than taking away the right to abortion. No one is overturning Roe v Wade - no, that's unthinkable. There would be outrage. What they're doing is sneakier than that

In Texas, effectively this bill (which will almost certainly be signed into law) will make it impossible for most clinics to administer abortions. The bill outlaws abortions after 20 weeks - where 24 weeks is standard maximum in most states. But the real kicker is the requirement that clinics upgrade to "surgical care facility" standards. Most clinics cannot afford to do so and will shut down.

Meanwhile, senator Wendy Davis is a hero, maintaining a nearly 9 hour long filibuster which was only collapsed on a technicality, in her attempt to prevent the vote on this bill.

Senators may speak for as long as they wish on any given bill, unless 3/5ths of the senate decide that it is time for closure. When speaking, rules stipulate speakers remain standing, not lean on their desk, and take no toilet or meal breaks.

She spoke for 9 hours.

She is incredible, and so are the many other pro-choice supporters who showed their incredible fiery spirit on this issue, with a protest in the forum of a people's filibuster. I find this article really inspiring.

We lost and it's fucked. It's not the first time in recent history - several states have been passing these unimaginable laws, and some are even worse than Texas. But we are paying attention, and we are fighting back. And a lot of people who were complacent about the issue when it was legal free and clear are finding that they're more passionate than they thought, as our freedoms are being drained away state by state. I pray that this gradual heating of the water, instead of boiling us alive, will end up flooding the kitchen when we turn the whole damn thing over.

#3 June 26th, 2013 05:51 PM

viva

uh we won this one afterall due to we won it fair and square and they couldn't get away with cheating the timestamp with so many people watching... still looking for better documentation than twitter.

#4 June 26th, 2013 05:58 PM

Laney
Administrator

As midnight approached, the session dissolved in chaos. Republicans say they passed the measure, but Democrats say the vote took place after midnight, making it invalid.

Live feed of protesters outside the senate chamber here - it seems like the bill has not been passed!

Last edited by Laney (June 26th, 2013 06:00 PM)

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#5 June 26th, 2013 06:22 PM

artemesia

tumblr_mozj2wOoPG1s2k9qgo1_1280.jpg

I can't even begin to describe the emotional rollercoaster of a day I've had watching this unfold. I can't wait to see an edited version of her speech, I only caught the end and the vote, and the timestamps scandal, and then now the victory. WTF.

1017660_10151516557249639_1960436795_n.jpg

Last edited by artemesia (June 26th, 2013 06:24 PM)

#6 June 27th, 2013 09:58 AM

blissed

That was fabulous! but not over. Rick Perry has ordered a special session on the 1st of July to try and get the bill passed.

#7 June 27th, 2013 05:03 PM

viva

jaysus.

#8 June 28th, 2013 09:41 AM

artemesia

#pissedatperry is the cool new hash tag, I've seen the power of the feminist army folks, and it works!

#9 June 29th, 2013 06:51 PM

blissed

#10 July 1st, 2013 10:02 AM

artemesia

i'm in love with her, whadda babe!

#11 July 1st, 2013 10:07 AM

Laney
Administrator

1002411_10151475624967045_306111252_n.jpg

Khaleesi...

Last edited by Laney (July 1st, 2013 10:07 AM)

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#12 July 1st, 2013 10:13 AM

viva

THAT IS BRILLIANT

Board footer