#1 July 28th, 2011 07:00 AM

kohen

Question for the ladies

What type of camera do you use to shoot yourselves with?  It seems everyone takes such better pictures than I do.  I know it's time for me to get a new camera but I have a tight budget and don't know enough about cameras to know what is best.  These folios are just getting better and better.  The past few I've done, I haven't submitted because I didn't feel they are up to par with the others.

If anyone else has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated too! smile

"Art can never exist without naked beauty being displayed."-William Blake

Newest folio!
http://www.ishotmyself.com/public/view_ … ?g=quicken

#2 July 28th, 2011 08:14 AM

ashmedi

Re: Question for the ladies

Ummm ... I'm not a lady, don't have any suggestions for a camera, and probably shouldn't be posting in this thread for those reasons ...

But I think you should submit anyways ... I've been waiting for you to come back smile

Ashmedi is an ancient demon of rage and lust.
Rage is not my thing, but I must admit to committing my favorite of the 7 deadly sins for most of the contributors smile

#3 July 28th, 2011 09:06 PM

blissed

Take your pics outside with lots of light and if you can buy a canon Ixus 3000 HS £240 it has the widest aperture of all the point and shoot cameras and handles low light too, and you can make HD videos on it. In some parts of the world  It's also called the Canon SD4000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5tloMA … re=related.

or if you have a friend with a good camera get them to come along and let you use it. People are protective of their cameras and if they're there they can show you how to use it and make sure you don't drop it :)

But yeah the part that's free is shooting outside in the woods with shade and lots of defuse indirect sunlight. or speckles of sunlight patterned as it passes through the canopy of the trees.

Last edited by blissed (July 28th, 2011 09:11 PM)

#4 July 29th, 2011 11:05 AM

kohen

Thanks!  I just read some reviews on that camera and it seems great especially for the price.  Finding a place outside where I live is pretty much impossible.  I love nature and the outdoors though so I will seek a new type of scenery.  big_smile

"Art can never exist without naked beauty being displayed."-William Blake

Newest folio!
http://www.ishotmyself.com/public/view_ … ?g=quicken

#5 August 8th, 2011 02:29 AM

hartesspritz

They're more pricey, but if that's okay you could take a look at the Nikon P7000 and the Canon G12.  I got the first one not long ago, and like it so far.

#6 August 10th, 2011 12:26 PM

bobby_h

You can't go to wrong with a Canon Kohen. Check out Dwam and Purdy's folios, you can see their cameras in some of the mirror shots and then check out the gorgeous depth of field and colour in their folios.   

I have a Canon 5D but I find it really difficult to shot ISM's with. The next ISM I do I will be borrowing my brothers D500.

You also can't go to wrong with yourself. Your folios are beautiful!

#7 August 14th, 2011 10:49 PM

ixnay9

Yes, Canon 5D s a brilliant bit of kit, but tough to use with one hand. If you want to go DSLR then look at the Pentax K5 which has fantastic dynamic range and build quality, and is light and small too. Not cheap.
For about half that price you could get an Olympus E620 kit. Superb images, nice handling and build, and like the Pentax is has built in stabilisation which means you can use lower shutter speeds and not worry as much about shakyvision. Does not do video though.

Next step down from full DSLR is the m4/3 cameras from Olympus and Pentax such as the Olympus PEN and Panasonic Lumix GF2. These cameras are smaller than SLR but still have decent sized sensors and interchangable lenses and full manual control as well as automation. Plus video.

And the cheapest option is the compact, or fixed lens cameras. Out of these, the Canon SD4000 mentioned is the cheapest really good option.

In that Youtube clip someone mentioned: "it looks great but it's only in 10 mega pixels sad"

This is total rubbish. Its all about the lens and the sensor. I still use an old camera that has 5mp that produces stellar pictures. Mega Pixels is by and large a marketing gimmick that people continually fall for.

Spend a wee bit more and there are the Lumix cameras which tend to be built better than Canons (with the exception of the G10/11/12 etc)
Also well worth looking at is the Olympus XZ-1 which is a fantastic deal, especially considering you get a famous Zuiko lens, which opens up to f1.8 - meaning it lets lots of light in, and also you can get nice blurry backgrounds which is a feature usually lacking in compacts.

Finally, if you want the ultimate fixed lens, then it probably has to be the Canon G12. Built like a Mercedes, great photos, plus a really useful swivel screen which would be VERY useful for ISM projects as you can flip it out and around and see the picture that you are shooting when you are looking at the camera.

Hope that helps - look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
Cheers.

edit: I am not a woman, and would never dream of posting naked photos of myself! But I know a bit about photography and love seeing the amazing and inspired images that appear here. smile

Last edited by ixnay9 (August 14th, 2011 10:58 PM)

#8 September 2nd, 2011 05:35 AM

blissed

blissed wrote:

if you can buy a canon Ixus 3000 HS £240

I know I recommended this camera but due to it's rounded shape and resemblence to a bar of soap it handles very similarly to the way a bar of soap does. So now after several attempts at trying to fly, it's photographic capabilities are exactly the same as a bar of soap :) One in the eye for sleek design there. Try and get a squareish camera that usually stays in your hands :)

Last edited by blissed (September 2nd, 2011 05:37 AM)

Board footer