#1 October 4th, 2009 10:09 PM

nurgis

missbrave comment

missbrave on *who I'd least like to shoot themselves*
"Sarah Palin (unless with something other than a camera)"

While I don't want to see Sarah Palin on ISM anytime soon, I don't think it shows much class to wish someone dead. If it's an attempt at humour, I'm not laughing

#2 October 5th, 2009 09:10 AM

ngaio

Re: missbrave comment

Not everyone finds that same things funny. I think you're nitpicking to a ridiculous degree, personally.

#3 October 5th, 2009 10:28 AM

blissed

She shoots animals from a helicopter, advocates casual war with Russia, and tries to trick poor people out of basic healthcare with death panels bullshit,  Not to say something offensive about her is the big challenge here :)

#4 October 5th, 2009 11:01 AM

redbird

Good call Blissed. Besides, roughly one out of every 10 or so bios says something similar. Mostly about George Bush or John Howard. I don't think it's anything to get upset about when it's in the context of a site where you're just voicing an opinion that is clearly meant as a joke.

#5 October 5th, 2009 07:57 PM

Paulie

I agree with you redbird (and blissed and ngiao).  Suggesting a politican shoot themselves is a common joke on this site.  Who can resist the double meaning of "Shot Myself"?

#6 October 6th, 2009 09:42 AM

ngaio

Yeah I tend to agree with you, Blissed. Sarah Palin is someone who I find very difficult to deal with the existence of. I don't actually want her dead, I doubt that would solve much, but dark humour is often just a way of dealing with things that upset us and which we would otherwise feel powerless about.

#7 October 7th, 2009 09:42 AM

_gethsemane_

@ ngaio, redbird, paulie and blissed: wh0rd.

@ nurgis: take a chillax dude.

#8 October 14th, 2009 03:19 PM

Folly

Its funny actually, us Aussies do seem to be more chillaxed about political correctness, which I'm pretty much all for (the chillaxing, not so much the PC). But did you see Harry Connick Jr's reaction to the Hey Hey blackface skit ? (An Australian TV Show he was a guest on) I mean yeah Hey Hey probably shouldn't have tried to relive something from the late 80s and call it funny again now, but definitely in the US they react much more strongly to things we still take as humour here.

#9 October 15th, 2009 02:53 AM

DameSarah

I have to say that i don't think the controversy surrounding this skit an issue of political correctness gone awry.  I think when you are comparing this type of humor across cultures it's important not forget that the legacy of slavery in the Unites States and the continued racism since it's dissolution have made this a very sensitive issue, and I think understandably so. Some people might think there is nothing wrong with the skit and accuse people of overreacting, but the issue here is not this one skit but rather the fact that the skit is linked to a long line of hurtful and hateful images of black people. In the United States, blackface is part of a long history of stereotyping and denigrating black people, and the historical roots and practice of this form of entertainment are much more obviously racist and problematic than the skit performed on hey hey. black face is derived from minstrel shows which began in the united states in the 1830's and relied on extremely offensive racist  sterotypes as entertainment. If you don't know what i'm talking about or are still not convinced, check out some of these resources:

wikipedia has good pages on minstrelry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show) and blackface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface)

There's a great documentary that takes an in depth look at minstrel shows and the stereotypes they relied on and perpetuated, and how these characterizations continue to be harmful today. I can't think of the name but I'll find it and post it here when i do!

'Bamboozled' is a fictional film by Spike Lee - it provides some good commentary/food for thought and at the end of the film there is a montage of racist clips from hollywood films, many of them featuring performers in blackface.I  found this last part of the film to be a really powerful eye opener - it's easy to dismiss one scene or one tv sketch, but when you see them all put together it's quite impossible to deny that these images are hurtful and offensive. It makes me cry every time I watch it. The montage can be found on you tube, so IF YOU STILL DON'T SEE WHY THE HEY HEY SKIT IS SO CONTROVERSIAL PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUITES TOWATCH THIS VIDEO AND SEE IF IT CHANGES YOUR MIND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45g3YP7JOk

#10 October 15th, 2009 03:35 AM

blissed

That skit would've got a Harry type reaction here too in the united Queendom. When I was in Oz  someone's mum said to me  " do you have wog nieghbours?"  I said no :) but I've got a few friends who could claim that title, if they really want it" :).

There's hardly anyone of African decent in Australia and pre 18th century settlers are a tiny minority, so there never seems to be anyone about to be insulted by all that stuff, so thats why it happens.

If someone did a skit mocking Maori culture and appearance in NZ they'd probably get a pretty swift response about that too :) When you pour that stuff on an open wound like the race thing in the USA it's not fun, enter Harry.

The term Political correctness was invented by someone who didn't want to be Polite and Considerate (PC) Terms that Characterize someone you disagree with like Feminazi are at the milder end of what I consider to be rude childish and kind of pointless.

I don't acknowledge the existence of race but celebrate genetic diversity, try and give people who feel part of an oppressed group a bit of  a break and separate culture from genetic diversity because going forward they have very little to do with each other.

Phew!! :) *gets down off of soapbox* :)

Last edited by blissed (October 15th, 2009 05:59 AM)

#11 October 15th, 2009 10:36 AM

miss_a

There was an interesting segment on this show http://hungrybeast.abc.net.au/ last night inspired by the outrage surrounding the Hey Hey skit. Can't comment on the skit myself because I find Hey Hey just too painful to watch, but I dig the idea of a post race world. Of course it's very easy for me to idealise about that being a white girl living in the 'burbs.

#12 October 15th, 2009 12:03 PM

Folly

Let me clarify: I am aware of the strong history of racist offence connected with blackface.  I do not find the skit funny at all.  I was actually attempting to point out how easy it is for Australians to continue to be oblivious to such issues and how everything is very tongue in cheek for us. Racial humour is very common here.
But actually Blissed I feel that Maoris are very good at poking fun at themselves and the modern pacific islander community.  The popularity of shows such as Brotown demonstrate this.

#13 October 15th, 2009 02:16 PM

blissed

I must admit the only Maori person I've met is on the internet and is an activist.  So you might have a more balanced view than me.

#14 October 21st, 2009 03:48 PM

Folly

This is a well balanced report on Australia's attitude.
http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/m1799376.mp3

But I'm interested more in the why? - why are Australians so blasé about racial humour? I really don't know, but I do know many people who do shrug it off so easily.  Even many people of colour.  And I'm not sure if it's better that we don't have to tread carefully for fear of stepping on politically incorrect or offensive landmines, or if it just means that we are an ignorant nation.  Anyway sorry for hijacking the thread.

#15 October 21st, 2009 11:05 PM

blissed

Stuff about blondes being dumb makes me groan but  racial humour makes me cringe  so I don't get into it.

#16 October 21st, 2009 11:08 PM

blissed

Folly wrote:

Anyway sorry for hijacking the thread.

Ha ha you don't have to apologize for hijacking a Sarah Palin thread :)

Board footer