1. Index
  2. » Project_ISM
  3. » RAWW

#1 January 11th, 2013 01:25 PM

artemesia

RAWW

Radical action world wide....

That's what this thread should be about. I'd love to get everyone's opinion (and also information) about radical protests that are changing the world.

In honour of this; I'm wondering if anyone outside of Australia has heard of this Jonathon Moylan? Seems to be that everyone I know has been to high school with him, or hung out with him before.

In case you didn't know, Jonathon is responsible for a drop in price of some stock market shares of a coal company based in Australia. He released a fake media release, saying the supporting bank (ANZ)had withdrawn its funding of the project. At the time, the news caused such a stir that the shares lost a sum total of $315million, but they have since recovered to a slight reduction in their original value.

The bank in question has a policy of ethical investments for it's customers, but has clearly regressed on this original stand, but they continue to be supportive of the project.

here's someone elses opinion on the matter

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/societ … 2cix8.html

#2 January 13th, 2013 08:13 AM

paranoid24

Re: RAWW

Unless there are significant casualties or issues of more than local importance, i wouldn't know about it. Last time I heard about Australia in the news was when a major natural disaster took place because of drought. Since he didn't really hurt the coal company so much, Jonathan Moylan's action has the essential merit to alert the public opinion. France has semi-autonomous overseas territories facing the Australian coast where nuclear testings took place in 1995, causing major protest, with much echo in the media.  The Australian band Midnight Oil's famous song is about oil and was airing on the radio when I was young (about the same time Sting defended the Amazonian rain forest).

#3 January 14th, 2013 08:58 AM

artemesia

Ahhh, I didn't know the origins of the song. The lead singer of that band went on into politics a few years ago, a bit unsuccessfully. Totally compromise on the ethics of selling out, it was actually really sad to watch.

In the case of Moylan, the media here is going crazy! But I suspect, as in the case of the Occupy movement, the media will remain a bit mute on the subject just in the case they start giving people ideas!

#4 January 15th, 2013 09:39 AM

paranoid24

I don't have a clue about the stock exchange angst in France, let alone in Australia, so I cannot say I'm not surprised. I guess there are many discussions on the social networks.

#5 January 18th, 2013 04:45 AM

blissed

I love it when protests get creative, and sometimes the creativity can create a possible solution. Feck is an example of that.  So I think positive action that changes the world is best, it provides an example of your alternative ideas. The more attractive our alternative ideas the more likely we are to persuade people to change.

Last edited by blissed (January 18th, 2013 08:31 AM)

1. Index
  2. » Project_ISM
  3. » RAWW

Board footer