#276 April 8th, 2015 03:09 PM

Laney
Administrator

Re: Send me your inspiration lovely people.

Such a cool jacket Ben! Military jackets are in style now but I know that's not why you bought it. Which era is it from?

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#277 April 8th, 2015 06:20 PM

trevor

Ben, your sensitivities and reflections are marvelous and make this forum all the more interesting a place.

With regard to music, I'm afraid that even those whose parents and grandparents love or loved classical music (or any unamplified music for that matter) have little interest or emotional attachment to any music that is produced solely with natural accoustics.  I have European friends in their 30s now whose grandmother was a celebrated classical pianist.  Although they grew up listening to their grandmother play and still have her beautiful piano, they have no interest in classical music whatsoever.

As for your own appreciation today of classical music, why not take to a concert a woman to whom you are very attracted and who also shares an interest in classical music?  Might you find yourself bonding with both the music and the giri?

Like you, I cannot fully understand it but then much of human behaviour I find incomprehensible.  Another Jewish friend of mind survived the holocaust in hiding in Poland and, although a great intellectual and writer, told me that he has no explanation either.  I suppose more accurately, it is on an emotional level that we cannot understand the evil that humans do.  Intellectually, we recognise it as complex combinations of genetics, environment and circumstances.  Well, back to private joys (and earning a living).  To be continued....

Last edited by trevor (April 8th, 2015 08:32 PM)

#278 April 10th, 2015 09:20 AM

polaroid

Thanks Laney:)

I'm so excited you loved my jacket:):) It's a Royal Navy officers dress uniform jacket for ceremonial occasions but as for the era, I'm not entirely sure as the uniforms haven't really changed much over the last century but on the label it says NATO somewhere so that dates it definitely to after WWII & judging by how beautiful a condition it's in, I would guess that it's somewhere between the 60's & the 90's:):)

Any really cool vintage finds in your wardrobe Laney?:):)

Trevor a wholehearted thank you for your kind words. I'm very moved by what you wrote & it really means so much to me to know that my presence here among this wonderful community has made a positive difference in some way to people.  I have really enjoyed your presence on the forum & your kindness, eloquence & support for contributors I know has had a wonderful effect on everyone.

As for your idea re having the shared experience of discovering classical music by inviting someone to a concert, I think that's a beautiful idea & I hope very much that I have  the chance do that one day if I ever meet a girl who'd like to share that experience with me. Music is such an important part of who I am & I definitely agree with Nietzsche...'without music, life would be a mistake'

Ben

Find your truth. Face your truth. Speak your truth. Be your truth.

#279 April 13th, 2015 10:46 AM

sondrine

This is a really beautiful project by Blake Little called 'Preservation'

Models are submersed in buckets of thick, amber honey, creating an effect similar to an insect caught in the sap of a tree, persevered beautifully forever. Enjoy :-)

#280 April 15th, 2015 07:58 AM

polaroid

Wow!!!!:):) That has to be one of the strangest & most surreal things i've seen for ages!!! I LOVE when artists come up with really original concepts like this. It's so hard to find the words to describe the affect it has, its so strange, yet surreally beautiful & the photographs replicate exactly the affect of being preserved forever in amber & i'm sure when each person looks back at their photo in years to come it will feel like a moment in their life preserved. I wonder if anyone has attempted anything like this on ISM? I have images in my mind now of someone in the supermarket with 5 trolleys full of all the honey you'd need;)

Thanks for posting about this Sondrine!!:):)

Ben xx

Last edited by polaroid (April 15th, 2015 08:01 AM)

#281 April 15th, 2015 02:47 PM

Laney
Administrator

Thanks for posting that, Sondrine! It's a beautiful project. It reminded me of the gruesome concept of the mellified man, also about human body preservation.

From the Wiki article:

"The mellification process would ideally start before death. The donor would stop eating any food other than honey, going as far as to bathe in the substance. Shortly, his feces (and even his sweat, according to legend) would consist of honey. When this diet finally proved fatal, the donor's body would be placed in a stone coffin filled with honey.

After a century or so, the contents would have turned into a sort of confection reputedly capable of healing broken limbs and other ailments. This confection would then be sold in street markets as a hard to find item with a hefty price."

Ben, I love vintage clothes as well and have lots of lovely items in my wardrobe at home. I can take some photos of them on the weekend if you want to see smile

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#282 April 15th, 2015 03:02 PM

Laney
Administrator

There have been a few ISM folios featuring honey

'Fleece' by Honeybird

view_image.php?g=fleece&f=a629c2b73466bc34a379ac3e3b5b48.jpg&m=img

and 'Honey_Ante' by Fritha

view_image.php?g=honey_ante&f=9146ad73091a477d5490fbec.jpg&m=img

but none have used quite as much honey as that!

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#283 April 15th, 2015 05:08 PM

sondrine

Thanks for the comments Ben, I'm glad you enjoy the work :-)

And Laney... how many people do you think would have sought after corpse infused honey ? I think I'd much rather lick it off an alive body, don't you ?

Sondrine xx

#284 April 17th, 2015 08:59 AM

polaroid

Hey Laney,

I'm really thrilled you managed to find some honey-themed folios!! The photos you posted particularly are so gorgeous i'm beginning to think that there is literally nothing that can't be made to look even yummier covered in honey. I love the translucent warmth of colour it gives to skin tones. I was really curious & tried pouring honey over my arm earlier to see what it's like & can confirm that not only does it look beautiful it feels amazing too:) Weirdly fascinated by the whole mellification thing...really freaky but the more I think about it I'd definitely prefer to be preserved in honey rather than cryogenically frozen like in Austin Powers;) Plus I definitely agree with Sondrine that I'd much rather lick honey off an alive body:):)

It's so cool you love vintage clothes too Laney!!:) Thanks so much for saying you'd take photos for me at the weekend of some of the lovely things in your collection. I'd love that so much:):) It's my birthday at the weekend too so your photos will feel kind of like a birthday present:):)

Ben xx

Last edited by polaroid (April 17th, 2015 09:18 AM)

#285 April 17th, 2015 12:44 PM

sondrine

Ben, perhaps now you can explore different substances which might inspire some great new projects !

Laney does have great taste in vintage clothing ! The other day she took me to a great vintage garage and picked out the most beautiful little green dress for me, but it was too little for me :-( Laney we must go back !!

Sondrine xx

#286 April 17th, 2015 06:52 PM

trevor

Happy birthday, Ben.  Coincidently, mine was yesterday.

We agree on much but I'm afraid my taste for honey does not extend to seeing people covered in it, which I only find repelling and very creepy.  I prefer to see Laney and Sondrine unadorned or in elegant and graceful clothing -- perhaps also adorned with amber, which I grew to love when I lived in Poland and Latvia, which border the Baltic coast where beautiful amber is found.  These countries have many artisans who produce beautiful works of jewelry with amber.  Laney and Sandrine are not just beautiful for their obvious physical beauty but for their strength of character, which shines through in their photographs, profiles and in the recent interview.  Back to the topic of this 'thread": they are inspiration.

As for licking honey on living humans, that's another matter altogether and one that is delicious to contemplate.

Finally, Sondrine, classical music might not be the preference of many today but I like also imagining a video of you, in  the library you describe, with a string quartet playing Haydn, Mozart or early Beethoven.  This not in place of but in addition to still photographs of solo you.  Hmm, there was a most lovely violist (Lorelai) who posted some very elegant  photographs (27 October 2013)... how lovely the two of you would be as a duet.  In the mind's eye.

Last edited by trevor (April 18th, 2015 12:25 AM)

#287 May 19th, 2015 04:34 PM

Laney
Administrator

A new contributor, Maya_S, just submitted a great primary using honey as a theme. I thought it would be appropriate to post some photos from it here. Her folio should be up in the next couple of months.

tq17J9M.jpg

e4pR06e.jpg

1ddfObG.jpg

TGh2lhe.jpg

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#288 May 19th, 2015 04:59 PM

Laney
Administrator

I'm sorry for being so absent from the forum, I've become a gremlin who pops in and out and doesn't read every post.

Ben, I felt so bad because I didn't read that it was your Birthday until after it had passed sad. You're such a sweetie, Sondrine and I are always talking about the lovely things you post here. The ISM forum really attracts thoughtful, intelligent people. Anyway, here are the photos I was going to post. I started out showing you my vintage clothes but they quickly came off... They will end up in an ISM folio someday. Happy Birthday! smile

My favourite art deco dress, handmade sheepskin coat from the 70s and sheer yellow gown.

JSaV0ZN.jpg

LbCx4QS.jpg

DSKOEuG.jpg

Q0kE2Jj.jpg

Last edited by Laney (May 19th, 2015 05:00 PM)

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#289 May 19th, 2015 05:37 PM

trevor

Dear Laney, your latest photographs make the heart beat fast.  You are so very sweet, balanced, serene...so very lovely.  One just wants to gaze and gaze and gaze. And your thoughtful note to Ben will surely be greatly appreciated by him.  It makes me smile.

Ben, this reader at least misses your presence.  I for one would like to hear your voice on this or that or the other.

Last edited by trevor (May 19th, 2015 05:41 PM)

#290 May 22nd, 2015 08:24 AM

polaroid

Dear Laney, beautiful queen of the beautiful people of ISM, thank you for such a lovely, kind, thoughtful & exciting message : ) Your birthday wishes mean a lot, you're such a sweetie too & I loved the exciting glimpse you gave me into your vintage clothes collection...you have some truly beautiful pieces there : ) I LOVE your art deco dress so much...i think you must look so beautiful in it, & oh my god the photos of you in (& out) of your sheer dress are to die for, they're like the most beautiful daydream that you never want to end. Whenever you appear in dreams I have, you're always wearing really beautiful patterned vintage dresses, just like the ones in your photos. (I often have Laney dreams & no matter how sad I'm feeling when I fall asleep, they're always such beautiful escapism & make me happier) Your photos make my heart pound & my cheeks flush, I can't stop thinking about them & I know they'll be in my dreams too. Knowing you took those photos for me is the best birthday gift I could have wished for & I hope it's not against forum rules to kiss the Forum Queen on her cheek & give her a big hug to thank her? : )

It really does mean a lot to me to know that you & the shimmeringly lovely Sondrine talk about me & the things I post here : ) I promise I shall return soon with more lovely things to share with you all : )

A big thank you to you too Trevor. Once again, your kindness has really touched me, as has the thought that I've been missed. Thank you again for making me feel that amongst this wonderful collection of wonderful people I'm noticed & appreciated. I'm so sorry for being absent recently. Unfortunately I often sink into periods of absolutely no self confidence & during those times really struggle to write, & feel that anything I do write doesn't contribute anything to the community & so that's why what you & Laney wrote will be so treasured because I hope I can use it to give me more confidence to post & write more things & contribute to more discussions.

Love to you all,

Ben xx

Ps I forgot to say thank you Laney for posting those gorgeous shots from Maya_S's upcoming shoot, she looks simply stunning & I love the way she used the honey on her amazing body. If she shot her folio only recently I wonder if she saw our honey themed discussion & was inspired? : ) Will look forward to her folio a lot : )

#291 May 22nd, 2015 04:43 PM

trevor

Ben, how nice to hear your enthusiastic and ever thoughtful voice again.  I'm only sorry you've had some difficult patches.  Just know that I'm amongst those who think highly of you and like to listen to anything on your mind or in your heart you wish to share--and of course please do post some more of your own photographs (nothing seems to be "off topic" or out of bounds except meanness in this generous forum.)

Last edited by trevor (May 22nd, 2015 04:56 PM)

#292 May 28th, 2015 09:06 AM

polaroid

Trevor thank you for such a supportive message & for your heartwarming kindness. You mentioned your desire to see more of my work, & so here are a few more of my photos to share with the forum & which i hope people will like.

Ben

full.jpg

8882464230_cd5c366f7a_c.jpg

13493513285_913ed12271_c.jpg

full.jpg

#293 May 28th, 2015 04:50 PM

trevor

Ben, what fine images you have presented here in your work.  Thank you very very much.  They were worth the wait. As I write now, I am on a train so the photograph of the train resonates with me in the here and now; however, they all are quite absorbing and show you to have a kind regard for your subjects.  Please do continue to share with us-- both your written words and your photographic images.

#294 May 29th, 2015 06:52 AM

musician5763

Message to Trevor: You are such an eloquent and articulate writer. It pains me to see a common error in your tagline.

From dictionary.com:

"therefor, adverb, for or in exchange for that or this; for it: a refund therefor."

"therefore, adverb, in consequence of that; as a result; consequently: I think; therefore I am."

Sorry, mate, I thought you'd like to know

#295 May 29th, 2015 08:33 AM

trevor

Dear Musician 5763,

Thank you very much for the welcomed editorial correction and for the compliment.  I normally spell "therefore" correctly--recognising the difference between "therefore" and the archaic "therefor".  You might amuse yourself by looking up the more complete etymology in the OED.  Ah, and you will note that I've made the correction, so, as with the removal of a thorn, your pain should be relieved.  Thank you, again.

Last edited by trevor (May 29th, 2015 06:46 PM)

#296 June 3rd, 2015 04:52 PM

Laney
Administrator

Polaroid I only just saw your awesome photos! I visited London in the winter of 08-09, your photos make me feel so nostalgic for the wet cobblestones and gorgeous old buildings. I noticed the second to last one has more bluish tones than the others. Did you shoot it with different film or a different camera than the others? Do you shoot on black and white film? I really love the graininess and how that brings out the soft glow of the fluorescent lights in the first photo. I just discovered about 400 presets emulating film quality Viva had installed on the copy of lightroom I use to edit ISM folios. There's everything from Agfa Vista to Fuji Neopan. Unfortunately ISM photos are mostly a bit too low res to really be improved by these filters but they're fun to play with.

If only ISM accepted male contributors, I know you would submit an excellent shoot! Thank you so much for sharing!

Also it's certainly not against ISM rules to give me a hug and kiss in thanks! I'm so glad you liked the photos and have returned to the forum ^_^.

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#297 June 4th, 2015 10:13 AM

polaroid

Laney & Trevor, thank you so much for such a generous & kind response to my photos!! I really loved reading your thoughts & really appreciate that you both wrote to tell me. There's nothing more exciting than knowing others have loved something i've created!! : ) Trevor i'm thrilled you found them absorbing & liked the regard you felt i had for my subjects. That means a lot.

Laney i'm really excited that the images i posted made you feel nostalgic. I love trying to evoke atmosphere like that through my photos & to give someone an emotional reaction like that is what i live for whenever i pick up a camera so thank you for saying that!! It also explains best why i love using b&w film because it allows me to create the atmosphere & aesthetic i love so much & matches closest the way my mind visually interprets the emotion & feeling of scenes or moments that i'm struck with a desire to try & capture. Put simply, everything i use (film, cameras etc) i've chosen because it helps me replicate the way my mind records the emotion of memory visually. I almost always use Ilford HP5+ 400 which is my favourite film but most of the time, especially in low light, i shoot it at 1600 or sometimes 3200 ASA & have it push processed & this dramatically increases the grain & constrast & gives images an almost abstract quality sometimes which i find really exciting.

Whilst i dont normally do any post processing to my photos, eg like in the first photo in my previous post (which was shot with an Olympus half-frame camera, hence there being 2 pictures on one negative), recently i've been experimenting with adding the gorgeous cold blue tone to some photos in post processing that you noticed in the second from last photo : ) I love the atmosphere it creates along with the natural grain & contrast of the high speed film, especially in urban scenes like these :-

14889264078_af63b7d891_z.jpg

15149650395_235253cba4_z.jpg

And i also love using that effect with abstract architecture photographs to give them such an ethereal pastel blue kind of look that they almost look like they were shot using vintage polaroid colour film :-

14835661959_4ce849d292_z.jpg

I loved how you noticed the beautiful way b&w film deals with bright fluorescent lighting. I love that so much too!! I think it's gorgeous how it creates a soft glow where digital would have looked horrible with harsh blown-out white. I love the lighting whenever i take photos in London Underground. I absolutely LOVE how film has so much dynamic range that it never struggles to cope with even the harshest light & i'm always thrilled & excited by how it captures exactly the atmosphere i feel in the moment i take the photo, like in these ones. The first one is of the iron bridge outside my house & was taken before i fixed a light leak in one of my cameras hence the white streak in the bottom left of that photo!!

10179317233_e803853ea9_z.jpg

8892605057_6da46d4c5e_z.jpg

8892567673_02660df3b9_z.jpg

Laney you're so kind for saying you think i'd create an excellent shoot if ISM accepted male contributors. I'm such a fan of everything you create at Feck, from all your own beautiful photos & videos, to your editing of ISM folios, & so the fact that you said that to me means more than i can put in words & so I'm so glad it's not against forum rules cos i'm sending you in this message the most heartfelt hug & kiss in thanks : )

Ben xx

#298 June 5th, 2015 07:51 AM

trevor

Ben, how articulate you are about your craft and art.  What you have to say is as interesting and profound as your photography. Thank you very much indeed. And, Laney, I agree with all Ben says about you, too. I like the mutual admiration and respect you show one another.

Board footer