#26 February 10th, 2015 08:50 AM

viva

Re: Why so little Forum participation?

WOW amazing gif.

#27 February 10th, 2015 09:28 AM

trevor

Artemesia, now it's my turn to be up rather too late but I can sleep until 7 AM whereas it sounds as if you have to arise quite a bit earlier.  Here's to good food--something we're able to get in Rome locally grown year around.  Please don't think I'm smug; Rome has immense problems that make life here less than idyllic.

#28 February 10th, 2015 11:10 PM

Elsa_H

Oh my gosh, that gif. I am that bunny right now, it is very much past my bed time but I'm still on all the forums. Plus, it's so hot!! But, I did make the most amazing panzanella salad using almost overripe, mixed heirloom tomatoes out of my garden and it was seriously amazing, which almost makes up for this scorching heat. So simple, but all that you could ever want on a summer night in the peak of tomato season. Did I mention it was amazing?

#29 February 11th, 2015 12:04 AM

trevor

Rabbits are indeed oh so cute but I thought in Australia they were considered pests, like 'possums in NZ?  In any event, I'm glad your excellent vegetables are compensation for the heat.  Still, keep in mind the winter vegetables in Italy where in Rome the skies are deep blue and the current temperature at 3 PM is 61 F (16 C).  Come visit.

#30 February 11th, 2015 09:37 AM

Laney
Administrator

There are some feral rabbits but myxomatosis keeps the population pretty low. We also keep healthy domestic rabbits as pets. Trevor you make Italy sound very enticing. In Melbourne today the sky is pale blue and the current temperature at 10:30 AM is 26 C (79 F), but it's going to rise to 97 F. Another hot summer's day.

That salad sounds so good, I love heirloom tomatoes and the thought of eating them straight from your garden is heavenly! Yeah last night was so hot, I found it really hard to sleep as well.

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#31 February 11th, 2015 10:27 AM

trevor

As enticing as Italy might be, the fact that the Feck community is based in Australia seems even more enticing to me.  It says a lot about the general civility of your country.  In any event, you really are a lovely group of people so wherever you are, that place is graced by your presence.

#32 February 11th, 2015 10:39 PM

artemesia

@Elsa_h what are you going to do with your surplus tomatos? I'm already at the 10kg mark with my harvest, and have NO time to do anything with them. Would appreciate some tips! Also I have a some blue corn up for swops, as well as yellow nectarines and some crappy red ones. I'm into flowers, cucumbers, zucchinis as trade if you're keen!

Also, good news for us weather sooks, cause it was delightful tonight, hope y'all had pleasant dreams wink

#33 February 12th, 2015 11:28 AM

Elsa_H

I love bunnies! There are feral rabbits which are pests, like Dev said but I've always wanted a pet one. Where I'm originally from (in North Queensland, right near the top of the country in the tropics) it is actually illegal to own a rabbit as a pet. And even though I now live in a place I could own one, I can't because of my cat! He is a spoilt only child and a bit of a bully and would not take well to a bunny. I would only get a rabbit if it could roam around the house and not have to stay in a hutch all the time.

Trevor, I'm hopefully travelling to Europe in the last half of this year and you just painted the most wonderful image of Italy. What kind if produce is in season in an Italian winter?

Artemesia, I think I actually just died a little inside. I'm not sure if you saw my post a while ago on the IFM forum, but I had the worst luck with my garden this year. I ordered a bunch of heirloom seeds online and they didn't arrive for AGES so I bought some seedlings from CERES and everything then got obliterated by snails. Then my boyfriend bought me some more established seedlings as a gift but they just didn't take off for some reason, so I have very little variety and surplus this year. But last year with my tomato excess I turned it into kasundi. It is really easy and you can do it in the oven and just let it simmer slowly while you do some other stuff. My zucchinis I turned into pickles (this year I have none because the man who mows our lawn ran over them just as they produced their first flowers!!!!!). I'm about to start the planning of my winter crops soon because I will not have another failed season! I wish I had something to swap for your goodies, they sound like absolute heaven!

#34 February 12th, 2015 11:31 AM

Elsa_H

Oh and if anyone would like to meet my cat, Raldy, you can find him upstaging me in my ISM video.

http://www.ishotmyself.com/public/view_ … feskills_1

#35 February 14th, 2015 09:26 AM

trevor

Elsa, I hope you do make it to Europe this year.  If possible, do plan on much time in Italy, keeping in mind that Italy isn't just one country, it's many.  As for winter locally-grown biodynamic and organic produce that we are now enjoying in Rome, here's a partial list:

Artichokes
Radicchio
Oranges and clementines
Spinach
Broccoli Romano
Broccoli Siciliano
Chicory
Chard
Carrots
Potatoes
Pumpkins
Arugula
Cavolo Nero
Cardunes
Fennel
Celery
Borage
Assorted wild greens
Olive oil (from November, new season)

On another note; thank you for the link to your video with cat.  To be sure, your cat is charming but you don't need to worry about beIng upstaged by the creature or any other for that matter.  It's impossible to take one's eyes off of you.  Thank you.

Last edited by trevor (February 14th, 2015 10:10 AM)

#36 March 18th, 2015 03:04 PM

artemesia

Supposed to be studying - instead spends time on site looking at pictures of own vagina #life

#37 March 18th, 2015 05:34 PM

trevor

Artemesia, looking at photographs is studying, yes? Oh well, what is it you are supposed to be studying? 

Providing additional distraction, what regions of Austalia and New Zealand have climates like southern Italy producing vegetables year round?  I know the wines are superb; any good olive oils?  And which of these regions have the best city or cities for culture, education, parks and gardens--and easy access to beautiful countryside or seaside for outdoor pursuits?  I'm thinking of being at a further remove from the madness of the world and reducing our time in Italy to one or two months in the Australian/NZ summer when our young children would be on school break.  I've noted that ISM is located in Melbourne as are a number of contributors to the site.  A good friend of mine, a writer and artist who still manages to live in Christchurch loves Melbourne. I think one of her sons lives there.  Cheers from Rome where spring is just springing.

#38 March 18th, 2015 06:33 PM

artemesia

Melbourne- yes obviously but it is too similar to Europe. Surrounded by spring water, gorgeous escarpment, and regions of wine and olive growing it would be an all too obvious choice for you. I'd suggest going a little further north- towns in the Northern Rivers region of NSW are amazing. With great names such as Tilba Tilba (so good they named it twice), Mullumbimby. These areas grow tropical fruits (not all year round) but gives you a better impression of Australia's uniqueness as it is a separate continent in the Asian Pacific.

I've also recently spent some time in Perth, another gorgeous and different city (technically the most isolated on the planet - i heard someone once claim). Food can be a little expensive but it is a modern city, near a wine producing region (WA having some of the best wines in the world), I would be very surprised if they didn't grow olives there as well. Just be glad you aren't a native because it is the very racist and intolerate, and will soon be housing refugees of Native people. Heaven help all concerned.

Enjoy your eclipse on Friday smile

#39 March 18th, 2015 10:13 PM

trevor

How thoughtful and informative you are, Artemesia.  Thank you.  Your thoughts about being further north are appealing.  We do however have to keep in mind schools for oiur children who are currently 10 and 12 but we are unlikely to be able to make any moves for two or three more years.  They are thriving in a Waldorf-Steiner school so we'd like them to be able to continue this approach with its heavy emphasis on the arts and crafts and limited competition.  They are learning to think and be engaged creatively as well as intellectually.

Your description of Perth is at once appealing and appalling.  Inclusive is so much pleasanter and interesting than exclusive, though an absence of mean, vile, rude, selfish, prejudiced... people is not included in my idea of inclusive.

Do share with us what you are currently studying--though I don't wish to intrude or presume.

We are in eager anticipation of the eclipse though here it will not be total.  Thank you.

Last edited by trevor (March 19th, 2015 12:00 AM)

#40 March 19th, 2015 06:50 AM

blissed

Trevor did I read somewhere you come from Rome. That is an amazing place. With ancient Roman architecture over 2000 years old. Just amazing. I'd love to go and see it sometime.

#41 March 19th, 2015 08:09 AM

artemesia

Dear Trevor,

I am currently studying the tarot. I am a natural healer and counsellor and I think it's a great way to connect with archetypes and to give people the chance and permission to spend time with themselves and their situation. In a world so caught up on the idea of progress and change, it gives a nice excuse to stop and be still. We started a women's circle this year, and it's been of the greatest benefit to me, and this study is so nice to do!

On the note of Steiner schools- there are two in the Melbourne region and one in Mullumbimby. I would love to be a steiner teacher one day

#42 March 19th, 2015 08:37 AM

trevor

Blissed, yes, indeed, I do live in Rome and it is an amazing place—as is the rest of the country (or rather countries; it really isn't one country).  We are surrounded by ancient architecture that has always been standing and of course everywhere one might dig (for example to build a new IKEA store) one will find ancient ruins. My favourite is the Pantheon because it is all serenity, nothing about it is bombastic.

Artemesia, I think you would be a superb Steiner teacher.  You have a gentle, understanding and accepting spirit.  To be continued....

Last edited by trevor (March 19th, 2015 08:38 AM)

#43 March 19th, 2015 08:54 PM

trevor

Blissed, your comments are always interesting, insightful or simply thoughtful.  Again, not wishing to intrude or presume on your privacy, might I ask where you live?  We are all in part informed by place.

#44 March 19th, 2015 09:01 PM

trevor

Dear Artemesia,

As you mention "a world caught up on the idea of progress and change", I thought you might find the following book review from the New York Review of Books interesting: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archive … ing%20Over .  If this link does not work, simply go to www.nybooks.com and click on the article by Sue Halpern, "How Robots & Algorithms Are Taking Over".  I've shared the concerns and views expressed by Halpern for a very long time.  What could be in this world alas greatly diverges from what is.  So many opportunities lost for no good reasons.  Hence, my desire to find a country and community where individual rights are not seen as being in conflict with community responsibility.  Rather they are complimentary and have a symbiotic relationship.

Last edited by trevor (March 20th, 2015 12:26 AM)

#45 March 20th, 2015 04:58 AM

blissed

Trev I live near the pretend Rome that is Bath in England smile We have the roman baths and there are loads of Roman villa sites and monuments in the area. I tend to think if those are the sites that have survived then just think how many Roman sites have been built over in the centre of towns. I tend to think Roman development in England must've been quite extensive.

Rome and Bath are both pretty large. I think our privacy is pretty safe here. Now if I came from a little town like Cockermouth that might be different smile https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.66064 … a=!3m1!1e3

#46 March 20th, 2015 05:27 AM

trevor

Bath!  How wonderful.  We visited close friends of ours in Bath last summer when we were staying in Bristol for a few days, before and after spending several days in Hay-on-Wye.  We are also seriously considering relocating to Bristol, which we love.  There's quite a nice Waldorf Steiner school there.  The Roman sites in England are very interesting.  I think you are very lucky to be living where you are, Blissed.

Last edited by trevor (March 20th, 2015 05:53 AM)

#47 March 20th, 2015 10:01 AM

blissed

Your right.

I went Melbourne a few years back. It's OK. You can't get organic food very easily and the historic epicentre of town is smothered by a railway overpass smile Actually it's the 1st beautiful sunny steal and glass city I've seen. I thought it was wonderful. artemesia could tell you the music scene is pretty hot there too.  The Flinders street salt water lagoon, where the fresh water meets the salt sea water is the reason Melbourne (Port Philip) is there. Would be nice if it was restored with a reinstated wharf, with the railway out the way in an underground tunnel, opening up Flinders street to the river. Be a great place for an aboriginal centre too. Well those are my plans for Melbourne smile

Last edited by blissed (March 20th, 2015 10:01 AM)

#48 March 20th, 2015 08:55 PM

trevor

Many years ago, when I moved from Washington, DC to a modest, if not small,city in the middle of that country, I learned very quickly that, if I wanted to do something discreetly, I didn't do it.  I'll have to visit Cockermouth someday to see if it might in fact be worth giving up the privacy in numbers afforded by larger cities.  Of course if you were a banker in Bath you might not have that wonderful anonymity of super large cities like London.

#49 March 30th, 2015 08:00 AM

trevor

Dear Artemesia,

Regarding Tarot, I thought you and others might find the following piece in the New York Review of Books, on-line, interesting:

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/20 … t%20Dreams.

Let us know what you think.

Board footer