#1 January 3rd, 2015 08:29 AM

mori910a

HeForShe - UN Project for gender equality.

I only came across this (HeForShe) a couple of days ago when someone posted a Facebook link to it. I can't say I've ever been active in the issue of gender equality, but it's something I've always believed in - from a rational point of view, what basis can there possibly be for women and men not to be equal as part of society? Men and women aren't the same, obviously, we may well have different roles in some aspects of life, such as producing children, but we are not not equal as people. Why should women be payed less than men; or why should men assume they should lord it over women? There are reasons, I'm sure, but not good ones, and to a large extent deriving from religious misogyny.

I'm not sure this quite fits here, but then again, I'm pretty sure it does. As a man with daughters and sons, who loves looking at the women who contribute here (I'm single these days, so I'm allowed...), I'd hope they (children and contributors) would have equal rights to pursue whatever they want to. There seems at first glance a disparity between gender equality and erotica, but is there really? Can't see what, personally.

The HeForShe project is specifically devised to invite men, who for many years have been under the impression they are not welcome in the call for equality between both sexes, to take part in it. The invitation was made officially at a meeting of the UN a few weeks ago by Emma Watson (Harry Potter girl).

http://www.womansday.co.nz/celebrity/ce … -un-speech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-xqeTvD3as

There seems to be controversy even over this project. I'm wondering what people here think?

#2 January 6th, 2015 03:03 PM

Laney
Administrator

Re: HeForShe - UN Project for gender equality.

Man Emma Watson is just so sexy I can't focus on anything she's saying....... Just kidding!

You've raised some very interesting points here that will take me some time to think about and respond to. I've really got to get onto processing some folios right now but I'll set aside time to reply to this tomorrow.

Great topic!

Last edited by Laney (January 6th, 2015 03:14 PM)

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

Board footer