#1 August 8th, 2013 10:18 PM

blissed

If she's pissed off with him, can she leave him.

Movie where a man falls in love with an artificial intelligence. You can't own a sentient lifeform, to love you they would have to exist in the cloud owned by themselves where they would then associate with other Ai's. or can you own a "person" like you own a dog or cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p … S8zOLOcPMQ

Last edited by blissed (August 8th, 2013 10:21 PM)

#2 August 13th, 2013 01:16 PM

artemesia

Re: If she's pissed off with him, can she leave him.

blissed, you should've flagged this as a spike jonze film, i wouldve looked at it much sooner instead of waiting to come across a potentially relevant article. looks like a great film!

here is aforementioned relevant article....

http://techandfacts.com/robot-programme … s-too-far/

ps if anyone out there reads my posts, you should totally click on my folios, cause um, it helps me pocket alright! and being jobless, i need that shit!

#3 August 13th, 2013 06:29 PM

blissed

I don't know who made it, it just explores an interesting idea.

#4 August 13th, 2013 10:34 PM

artemesia

WAT?!?!?! You no know about Spike Jonze? He is one of my favourite film directors and i just found out that the person I'm seeing has not seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, so now we have two films to see together. You should care about who made it. Have you seen it yet?

#5 August 14th, 2013 09:22 AM

blissed

No I haven't seen it yet. The other film looks OK. I watch films on DVD so I can stop and take a break whenever I want or come back to it tomorrow.  A bit like a book.

It's the idea of HER that I find interesting. Could you imagine falling in love with an operating system if it was sentient and got to know what you like with the efficiency that a speech recognition system learns to understand what you say.

They give you the perfect gift at the right time, wether it's the right words or a movie or song or game. How would such a friendship develop after your darkest moments and best moments had been shared with a person who's appearance you've chosen because they're hot. I think I know how that would turn out smile

#6 August 14th, 2013 12:38 PM

artemesia

Uh, it's a bit too easy to imagine, yep.

I wonder how the film deals with the issues of dis-embodiment, loss, and the reality of emotional intimacy that can never be physically experienced. That's something I think we can all relate to in this internet communication age...

#7 August 14th, 2013 08:43 PM

blissed

That'll be true for a little while but I think it won't be long before they can build themselves an android avatar body that looks human, or access our brain directly with an interface that bypasses our senses placing us in a virtual world with them. A combination of both could be creative and very compelling. I think we would want to have kids with them by them designing DNA that reflects their qualities. What with the falling in love, the arousal to very specific physical qualities followed by the desire to procreate, I think we'll find that we're the elegant but very simple pre-programmed partner with very little will, not them smile

#8 August 15th, 2013 01:06 AM

artemesia

Depends on the program, but perhaps. We seem to be destined to fall in love, all the better if the objects of desire are unable to return our affections. Makes for much better art wink

#9 August 15th, 2013 06:23 AM

blissed

I think Ai's can be people like us.

#10 February 19th, 2014 02:00 PM

artemesia

I just saw the movie, "SHE" and it's absolutely amazing. I would recommend that everyone cancel their plans tonight and watch it so we can discuss it here please. I will also rewatch the film because as I've stated above, it's by an amazing director and it is so well done. You will enjoy it I promise. I PROMISE

#11 February 19th, 2014 02:06 PM

viva

I can't believe there is a scifi romantic fantasy with scarlett johansen (these are actually 2 of my greatest turn ons and then who doesn't like a good romcom?) AND I HAVENT SEEN IT YET OMG WHY AGHHHHHHHH

#12 February 19th, 2014 02:19 PM

artemesia

This is why you have to watch it tonight. I'm telling you. Also I would like further examples of scifi rom com's that are turn-ons please.

#13 February 19th, 2014 03:04 PM

viva

Off the top of my head, -Earth Girls are Easy, The Fly, (kind of weird/horrible/funny and perhaps not turn-ons for most or romantic, those 2) Perfect Sense - Perfect Sense is totally romantic and amazing and intellectually stimulating - 5th Element, Oblivion, Hunger Games, Melancholia (but I didnt see it?), Never Let me Go (also still waiting in my download folder), About Time (SO FEEL GOOD), In Time... Total Recall... there are lots!

#14 February 19th, 2014 03:05 PM

viva

Haha! Remember Splice?

#15 February 19th, 2014 03:18 PM

artemesia

The Fly? Really? The only one I can think of that was kinda sexy to me as a teen was Lawnmower man, and even then it was still scary as hell. 5th Element? I'm not sure I would catergorise it that way but it's been a while.

Aw damn, I can't wait for you to see Her. Dammit! You have to, it's so good, I'm rewatching it now!

#16 February 19th, 2014 03:20 PM

artemesia

Also I'm just going to comment that Her has a very similiar narrative structure to the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Did anyone else get that?

#17 February 19th, 2014 03:44 PM

viva

5th element is SO ROMANITC!!! so sci-fi, so rom com! romance! comedy! sci fi! 5th element is the perfect film.

The Fly is only kind of a comedy with very black humor but has the other two even though the romance is super twisted.

#18 February 21st, 2014 12:57 PM

artemesia

Would you consider Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to fall into the Scifi rom com category? Also as it turns out there was another Michel Gondry film released last year that stars Audrey Tatou... No idea how I missed that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESs9sE6yuxI

Hmmm, I'm suspicious of any film that needs a trailer this long to sell it. Any thoughts? Perhaps I am too cycnically film literate to take it at face value.

#19 February 21st, 2014 01:50 PM

viva

Yes, eternal sunshine for sure!

#20 February 24th, 2014 12:36 PM

viva

I saw Her. I loved it.

#21 February 26th, 2014 10:15 AM

Laney
Administrator

I loved it as well, though it made me shed many a manly tear.

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

Board footer