#1 December 10th, 2021 10:16 AM

pihafan3

Image quality decline of late

I’m not sure of the cause and effect status here, but since the ownership of ISM changed, I’ve noticed a number of portfolios are being accepted with a lower image quality.

Notably, some of these have been shot with a phone. But not all. 

For a long time, it was apparent that quality was maintained by Feck sending out a Canon camera (G7x Mk II) which as a former owner of this model, I know is really good.

It’s not really helpful to viewers that the standard of image quality is slipping. I would appreciate it if there would be stronger filtering of accepted portfolios in this regard.

Like it used to be. We don’t want to go back to 2003/4/5 where, looking back, the early lower quality of digital cameras was evident. From around 2007 to just before the recent buyout by Abby Winters, the quality of nearly all portfolios was excellent. Please, AW, maintain that standard going forward.

Longtime ISM subscriber

Last edited by pihafan3 (December 10th, 2021 10:17 AM)

#2 December 10th, 2021 10:59 AM

Miss_Katia

Re: Image quality decline of late

Hello Pihafan, we really appreciate all of our long time subscribers, so thank you for sticking with us for so long :-)

We're still under the same management, we're just accepting more phone shoots because these days the quality is better - they work better in low light. I'd sue an iPhone11 over a G7X any day. But then some people don't have such great phones, however if they've done a good shoot we think it's worth publishing :-)

Miss Katia

Last edited by Miss_Katia (December 10th, 2021 12:37 PM)

Miss Katia, ISM Editor

#3 December 15th, 2021 03:41 AM

AlexFan

Hi there,

I totally agree with pihafan3. It's been my 5th or 6th subscription on ISM (I've downloaded everything since the beginning!) and I can tell the evolution of the quality of the pictures. A few years ago, I was just thrilled about the increasing quality offered from the most majority of contributors.

By accepting cell phones pictures, it's like 10 years step back, maybe more. Even with a lot of natural light, there are too many grainy folios, undetailed pictures, dull colors... It is not just technical, it affects the artistic side of the shooting as well.

It's sad for the contributors because for low quality pictures, I've noticed that they receive less comments. 

I hope ISM will fix that and set the bar way higher for cell phone pics. I may not comeback if this becomes the norm at ISM.

Cheers

#4 September 4th, 2022 11:01 PM

LeoBloom

I know nothing about cameras, so I write out of complete ignorance.
I'd always assumed the ultimate quality of the images was also partly in the discretion of the site itself. Hegre, for example, gives five choices when you download from 1200 to 14000 px, and this obviously makes a very significant difference in the quality of the image, and also, ahem, in the detail when you zoom in.
Or is it really determined upstream by the quality of the original camera? Or is it both?
I'm genuinely curious as I don't often download these days, but I've just downloaded Bailey's latest set, and I was just blown away by the quality of the image when I zoomed in. I really think I could happily feast on that set for the rest of my life.
I haven't had the opportunity yet to compare with other doiwnloads, but I can't remember anything of this quality before.

Last edited by LeoBloom (September 7th, 2022 06:22 PM)

#5 November 26th, 2022 03:49 AM

LeoBloom

Following on from my last post, thank you so much for making Tindra the Pic of the Day today. I missed her when she appeared four years ago, and she too was clearly using an above-average camera. Such wonderful detail!
A question: do you have a system whereby you page contributors when they receive a comment on their shoot? I've added my praise, but will she ever see it?

#6 November 26th, 2022 05:08 AM

azrael74

I'm fine with the image quality. What drives me nuts (as someone who sorts data for a living) is the file naming scheme. It's different from BA to ISM to IFM. The ISM file names don't include the folio numbering which would make it sooo much easier to sort the images cross referencing all 3 sites.

#7 December 1st, 2022 12:12 PM

redbird

LeoBloom wrote:

Following on from my last post, thank you so much for making Tindra the Pic of the Day today. I missed her when she appeared four years ago, and she too was clearly using an above-average camera. Such wonderful detail!
A question: do you have a system whereby you page contributors when they receive a comment on their shoot? I've added my praise, but will she ever see it?

We unfortunately do not have such a thing (as great as it'd be). I'm sure if she swings by the site she'll look herself up though and can see your comments then. Ngl, I check my old shoots for new comments semi regularly smile.

#8 December 4th, 2022 08:46 PM

LeoBloom

redbird wrote:
LeoBloom wrote:

We unfortunately do not have such a thing (as great as it'd be). I'm sure if she swings by the site she'll look herself up though and can see your comments then. Ngl, I check my old shoots for new comments semi regularly smile.

Let's hope so. Must be nice to know something you did is still giving people pleasure years later.

Board footer