#1 July 14th, 2021 03:28 AM

rhazzan

The happy helpers are interesting

I find the contris where the contributor gets a helping hand very interesting. I'm not speaking of duets. I'm speaking of regulair contributions where you occansionally get to see the hands of a person holding a mirror, a friend that is watching out for strangers, and that sort of stuff. Sort of a "I-would-have-loved-to-have-been-there"-feeling. I find myself wondering of a lot of interesting scenarios that has played out before the photos where taken. What kind of arrangements have been agreed to on forehand? How do you ask a friend or stranger to help you with nude photos? What has these experiences led to? Has the contributor and helper grown a tighter relationsship afterwards?

Amy Talulahs contribution - Meer_schaum is a great example of this exact thing.
https://ishotmyself.com/public/view_gal … eer_Schaum

#2 July 14th, 2021 09:50 AM

Miss_Katia

Re: The happy helpers are interesting

rhazzan wrote:

I find the contris where the contributor gets a helping hand very interesting. I'm not speaking of duets. I'm speaking of regulair contributions where you occansionally get to see the hands of a person holding a mirror, a friend that is watching out for strangers, and that sort of stuff. Sort of a "I-would-have-loved-to-have-been-there"-feeling. I find myself wondering of a lot of interesting scenarios that has played out before the photos where taken. What kind of arrangements have been agreed to on forehand? How do you ask a friend or stranger to help you with nude photos? What has these experiences led to? Has the contributor and helper grown a tighter relationsship afterwards?

Thank you for sharing this folio from 2013 with us Rhazzan, what a great set - especially those beautiful sunset yellows and oranges, the light in those snaps are just wow! Some great questions you pose too. I have worked in similar situations in the past, and I would have to say from experience, a stronger relationship has formed because of it. Witnessing someone in their most venerable state, and the level of mutual trust that is shared I feel only strengthens friendships/relationships.

It sounds like you enjoy the exploring these possible scenarios within these folios. ISM's contemporary focus of self-shot folios aside, is this something you're more drawn to?

Miss Katia, ISM Editor

#3 July 14th, 2021 01:15 PM

Mikaela

rhazzan wrote:

I can't speak to anyone else's experience, but some people just have the kind of friendships where nudity between them is really normal and not at all related to sex or sexual desire. My housemate and I have seen each other nude countless times - it's not uncommon for one of us to be in the shower, whilst the other sits on the bathtub to have a chat. I would have no issue asking her to help me out by holding a mirror eg. for an ISM shoot. Our relationship is not at all sexual though, but we have a very close bond. If there was underlying sexual tension between two friends, I could see how helping out with an ISM shoot may act as a catalyst, but it's also entirely possibly just to lend a helping hand with no sexual intent. After all, nudity does not need to be inherently sexual. I wouldn't ask a stranger to help me out though as I can't imagine a situation where I would ever feel safe approaching someone I know nothing about to help with a nude shoot outside of a formal shoot setting.

As to prior agreements, I would say that it could be helpful to lay out intentions when asking for help. For example, if I was to ask my housemate, i'd probably preface it with  "now, this doesn't mean I want to have sex with you, but can you hold the mirror while I take some nudes?". Clear communication is so important, and can really help avoid awkward situations where someone might perceive something that is not there.

#4 July 14th, 2021 06:18 PM

rhazzan

Miss_Katia wrote:
rhazzan wrote:

Thank you for sharing this folio from 2013 with us Rhazzan, what a great set - especially those beautiful sunset yellows and oranges, the light in those snaps are just wow! Some great questions you pose too. I have worked in similar situations in the past, and I would have to say from experience, a stronger relationship has formed because of it. Witnessing someone in their most venerable state, and the level of mutual trust that is shared I feel only strengthens friendships/relationships.

It sounds like you enjoy the exploring these possible scenarios within these folios. ISM's contemporary focus of self-shot folios aside, is this something you're more drawn to?

Katia and Mikaela, thanks for your answers. It was quite interesting getting your point of views.

I don't know if I'm particularly drawn to this type of contributions. But I do have a strong desire to learn about stories, backgrounds, and what has led to the shots being taken. But that's a general thing. I always read the contributors statement and thoughts on their folios, as I feel like the story of what went on plays a big part of the contribution all in all. Of course, from a male point of vied, it has something to do with two females exploring art and nudity that triggers my curiosity as well.

I totally get Mikaelas point of not doing shots with a stranger. Sadly, you have to be carefull.

Board footer