#1 May 17th, 2021 10:55 AM

Miss_Katia

Erotic Art

Hello all,

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. One of my highlights was going to a food truck park on Saturday night, which was bloody freezing however I enjoyed myself a delish burger :-P. Another highlight was ordering a new art book with pencil drawings by Namio Harukawa - his work depicting acts of femdom (female domination). See examples below...

And so I wanted to start a thread where we could share our fave erotic art and artists. Whether they fall into the realm of painting, photography, performance, drawing, or other. Can be either historical or contemporary.

Keen to see who everyone likes :-)

namio-621-1024x1489.jpg

namio-harukawa-face.jpg

namio-01-1024x1488.jpg

Miss Katia, ISM Editor

#2 May 22nd, 2021 08:25 AM

momerath

Re: Erotic Art

This is a great topic for a thread! Thanks, Miss Katia, for proposing it. I had never heard of or seen Harukawa's work before, but these examples are pretty 'arresting'. The female figures remind me a little of Robert Crumb's feisty gals. As to some of my fave erotic artists, I'll start with Beardsley, Mahlon Blaine, Robert Bonfils....but there are more who have been an inspiration.

#3 May 24th, 2021 10:53 AM

Miss_Katia

momerath wrote:

This is a great topic for a thread! Thanks, Miss Katia, for proposing it. I had never heard of or seen Harukawa's work before, but these examples are pretty 'arresting'. The female figures remind me a little of Robert Crumb's feisty gals. As to some of my fave erotic artists, I'll start with Beardsley, Mahlon Blaine, Robert Bonfils....but there are more who have been an inspiration.

Hello Momerath - thank you!

I don't think I've seen R Crumb's work before, so I appreciate you sharing their work. I am very much enjoying it. This one particularly caught my eye (on the left).. And Robert Bonfils's pulps are great (on the right)

9ea70abd05ce119ab84d8b7e825010e2.jpg Spicy-Meatball-Swap-Companion-Books-CB697-1971-illus-Robert-Bonfils-465-774-int.jpg

And I can see the elegant similarities between Beardsley and Mahlon Blaine's work - beautiful.

I also have quite the list of artists; another I love is Betty Tompkins and her series of sex paintings. So intimate.

large.jpg

Last edited by Miss_Katia (May 24th, 2021 10:53 AM)

Miss Katia, ISM Editor

#4 May 24th, 2021 11:30 AM

momerath

Miss Katia — thank you for your response! I'm pleased I was able to lead you to R. Crumb, Robert Bonfils, Blaine and Beardsley. I appreciate you leading me to Betty Tompkins, whom I had never heard of before. Astounding work by her! As you say, so intimate, and that's a refreshing theme...the close-up of intimacy. A few other artists spring to mind: Trevor Brown did a suite of erotic Alice in Wonderland works; and Brian Froud, mostly known for his pure fantasy work, did some cute sexy fairy images in Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book. Beresford Egan also did some erotic illustration work, and Austin Osman Spare was known to depict erotic elements in his mystical nudes.

#5 May 24th, 2021 12:19 PM

Miss_Katia

momerath wrote:

Miss Katia — thank you for your response! I'm pleased I was able to lead you to R. Crumb, Robert Bonfils, Blaine and Beardsley. I appreciate you leading me to Betty Tompkins, whom I had never heard of before. Astounding work by her! As you say, so intimate, and that's a refreshing theme...the close-up of intimacy. A few other artists spring to mind: Trevor Brown did a suite of erotic Alice in Wonderland works; and Brian Froud, mostly known for his pure fantasy work, did some cute sexy fairy images in Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book. Beresford Egan also did some erotic illustration work, and Austin Osman Spare was known to depict erotic elements in his mystical nudes.

I'm glad to hear you enjoy her work.

I can see the thread that connects a lot of the artists you enjoy, illustrative and a little dark - I like it.

Another artist I used to admire was Egon Schiele:

4928.jpg

And I love this image so I wanted to share:
Gustave Courbet’s “L’Origine du monde (The Origin of the World)”

o-ORIGIN-OF-THE-WORLD-900.jpg

Miss Katia, ISM Editor

#6 May 24th, 2021 01:58 PM

momerath

Miss Katia, Thanks for posting those two images. Of course I know Egon Schiele's work but I'd never seen that painting of his; I love his treatment of the figures. As for Courbet's 'The Origin of the World', that's an impressive, famous work, and it caused quite a controversy in its day....things are different now, but that painting remains a powerful one.

#7 May 24th, 2021 02:05 PM

Mikaela

I really love the work of Samarel - both the style and the depictions of various aspects of eroticism and BDSM.
https://www.samareleros.com/

Thankyou for sharing Harukawa's work, they are such powerful and evocative drawings!

#8 May 24th, 2021 02:17 PM

Miss_Katia

momerath wrote:

Miss Katia, Thanks for posting those two images. Of course I know Egon Schiele's work but I'd never seen that painting of his; I love his treatment of the figures. As for Courbet's 'The Origin of the World', that's an impressive, famous work, and it caused quite a controversy in its day....things are different now, but that painting remains a powerful one.

So scandalous!

Miss Katia, ISM Editor

#9 May 24th, 2021 02:24 PM

Miss_Katia

Mikaela wrote:

I really love the work of Samarel - both the style and the depictions of various aspects of eroticism and BDSM.
https://www.samareleros.com/

Thankyou for sharing Harukawa's work, they are such powerful and evocative drawings!

Ooo Samarel's work is very visceral. It feels like it's illustrating the most heightened point of an intense bodily climax/euphoria: un petit mort.

Miss Katia, ISM Editor

Board footer