artemesia

Re: anarchism and nudity...

ohhhhhhhhhhhh this this this

nudity!

Erykah Badu for the cause!

#52 June 26th, 2012 11:41 AM

artemesia

I can't believe that I put up such a left of the field anarchist babe going about nude for y'all and no comments! Admittedly it's annoying that all the good bits are pixelated, but people, she was doing it live !!! (no extras- those were real people at the JFK monument!)

so here is a slightly more conventional popular babe... i'm not entirely sure of the message, except that maybe she is drawing attention to the fact that everyone has 'em, why not show 'em...

124kayt.gif

Last edited by artemesia (June 26th, 2012 11:41 AM)

#53 June 26th, 2012 08:25 PM

blissed

I just thought it was a bit negative. She should have done that in London or Bath and kept on walking naked without getting shot at the end.

#54 June 27th, 2012 11:26 AM

artemesia

What kind of statement could she have made by walking around London or Bath? I think the African-American subconcious was really scarred by the JFK assasination. Finally, a public figure in the US was making changes (admittedly, very small concessions for African-Americans) and then he was killed for being a renegade. To me, it's a never forget type of message. Sure, the nudity, is a bit, well cheap, nudity for the sake of publicity is something I take issue with. But I found it really powerful nevertheless.

Personally I'd like to see David Ike walking around London naked, getting on as many CCTV cameras as possible. That kind of statement would make a lot more sense. Erykah, doesn't have much business in London. Ike on the other hand, that would be hilarious!

#55 June 27th, 2012 07:55 PM

blissed

For me the nakedness and the JFK thing didn't fit together. A bit like colours that don't fit together and like colours it's all subjective. Colours that for me don't fit are perfect for someone else. That's the beauty of diversity, You really like this work and people like different things.

I would have made the video and the song smile about the nakedness and the joy of being naked and your less likely to get stopped in London where simply being naked isn't an offence.

Last edited by blissed (June 27th, 2012 07:56 PM)

#56 June 28th, 2012 11:30 AM

artemesia

you're right, they weren't meant to go together. rather it was a statement about shedding layers... it's worth reading the interview about her intentions here

Last edited by artemesia (June 28th, 2012 11:30 AM)

#57 June 28th, 2012 02:01 PM

veronicaf

artemesia wrote:

Personally I'd like to see David Ike walking around London naked, getting on as many CCTV cameras as possible. That kind of statement would make a lot more sense. Erykah, doesn't have much business in London. Ike on the other hand, that would be hilarious!

That would be pretty amusing...

As for the vid, I don't know if the JFK reference that she was trying to make worked.  It almost seemed to me that they had that location to work with and there was no way to shoot there without referencing JFK and so they explained it away.  It all seems a lil 'naked for naked sake' to me.  Which is fine, because really, who doesn't like being naked; but why pretend its anything more than that.

#58 June 28th, 2012 08:38 PM

blissed

It has worked at getting her a little bit of attention though smile I rate gimmicks as a legitimate art form as you need flare and creativity and so along the way you also get raw ideas that don't actually sell anything. The shed that converts to a boat and back to a shed has raw creative gimmickry http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/dec/0 … rprize2005

#59 July 9th, 2012 04:04 PM

artemesia

urgh, i had a whole bunch to say about the topic developments, but i recently suffered from a concussion which has made it bloody hard to concentrate long enough on a computer screen to give you my thoughts... so in honour of my cake day smile and my slowly recovering head (still lotsa pain, but first painkiller free day, hoorah!) here is a link to some information about topless freedom organisations

Topfreedom!

ahhh the cause!!!

xx

TL/DR: August 26th 2012 (also Woman's equality day) will be Go Topless Day!

Last edited by artemesia (July 10th, 2012 04:42 PM)

#60 July 21st, 2012 09:18 AM

blissed

Oh my stars a pre trial detention of 9 months for this!!! kind of makes their point. What a horrible place Russia is at the moment, and kudos to them for their courage http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18932234

#61 July 25th, 2012 07:52 PM

artemesia

i'd hate to be a queer in russia too. arrested for being themselves... yuck

#62 July 30th, 2012 01:27 PM

artemesia

back to topless in NYC

go topless day 2011

#63 August 3rd, 2012 02:39 PM

artemesia

@blissed, seems like putin might help out pussyriot ?

Putin speaks up for Pussy

#64 August 4th, 2012 08:57 AM

blissed

Hope so. British prime minister Cameron mentioned it to him when he came to visit the olympics. Harsh punishment would hit russia in the inward investment pocket. That's for people who haven't already realised Russia is batshit crazy smile If I had money to invest I wouldn't invest a penny there. I knew a Russian student for a while and she said Russian culture is kind of macho about failure. The culture thinks failure is funny no matter how serious or even tragic. A bit like a long running Youtube video smile

#65 October 5th, 2012 11:24 AM

artemesia

http://www.melbournefringe.com.au/fring … -an-opera/

ok there is no nudity, so you'll have to go and anarch it up yourself by going clothing optional. but this really is a good play, has great writing and engages with the australian themes/problems in a cool way.

on another note, i think i may have found a few answers in this blog. nothing i haven't thought about already, but it's certainly nothing i've written down here, so it's yours to read or not, naked protesting is as conformist as you can get

edit: just read some other posts, cause i was wondering if anyone else finds her writing style kinda punishing?

Last edited by artemesia (October 5th, 2012 11:33 AM)

#66 November 4th, 2012 09:25 AM

artemesia

MonopolyOld.jpg
Monopoly was originally created to show the broken nature of capitalism.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/arti … t-origins/

i would've thought it was kinda obvious since it is one of the most tedious games to play; it was only fun when you were cheating and, in childhood it would always (ALWAYS!) end with someone in tears.

and in keeping with the nudity requirements of this thread..
monopoly2z-300x199.jpg
here is an article on why playing strip monopoly while drinking is not a good idea

http://arbroath.blogspot.com.au/2010/09 … after.html

Last edited by artemesia (November 4th, 2012 09:38 AM)

#67 March 8th, 2013 09:28 AM

artemesia

I just found this article about protesters in Sweden Iran going topless to oppose the restrictions Islam in their country places on women's bodies.

http://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/toples … 43760.html

Other sites declare these women as Iranian exiles and as a result of the protests they will be unable to return to Iran. It's nice to see sisters on the other side of the world giving solidarity to others. I'm not going to pay out on the hijab, cause sometimes it's nice to have an option to remove yourself from sexualisation, but a lady should always be allowed to choose no?

13194_584009628278692_27593945_n.jpg

And in the blogo-sphere, facebook wars... Facebook continues to allow pages that are racist/sexist to flourish, but the image above keeps being repeatedly removed, ' to protect the children'? oh god. The image is being promoted as a solidarity move for ladies who've had their breast removed due to cancer. The lady in question had the tattoo's done after breast removal and god-dammit good on her for sharing.

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY big_smile

#68 March 8th, 2013 09:43 AM

blissed

Happy international women's day! Censoring that picture is mad. Facebook has squillions of photos uploaded every day. I think they censor with bots and key words like breasts. A friend posted a snarky pro gay marriage graphic that listed the the "awful" things that would happen if gay marriage was allowed like people marrying dogs. And one was - school teachers will be teaching kids how to have gay sex. So I commented that yeah they should teach kids how to have gay  sex as part of an empowering sex education. I pressed return and got a message box that said the comment had been deleted.

A real person couldn't have zapped it that quickly and probably wouldn't have at all.

Last edited by blissed (March 8th, 2013 09:46 AM)

#69 March 8th, 2013 09:45 AM

artemesia

also I just put this up on fb, cause, before it was nude protesting... it was pizza!!!

11573_454178621319438_1477307977_n.jpg
“In 1921, early suffragettes often donned a bathing suit and ate pizza in large groups to annoy men…it was a custom at the time.”

I don't care if it's true or not cause the idea is freaking adorable!

Last edited by artemesia (March 8th, 2013 09:46 AM)

#70 March 8th, 2013 09:50 AM

blissed

Yeah I'm livid that women should have the audacity to eat pizza and in public! Ahh the 20s, wonderful times for us all smile

#71 March 8th, 2013 09:50 AM

artemesia

@blissed, my old university had a radical sex and consent week- there was an anal massage workshop.... it will never happen again sadly. funny thing was, the right wing kids peppered the audience of a dildo workshop with under 18yr old and the missed the anal massage workshop. ahahahah!!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor … 6347682735

sorry just editing to add that the article has not been fact checked. the herald sun is laughable and universally recognised as one of the greatest disseminators of mis-information.

should we thank them for teaching kids not to believe everything they read?

Last edited by artemesia (March 8th, 2013 09:53 AM)

#72 March 8th, 2013 09:51 AM

artemesia

and it was cigarettes and cocaine for all after that. thank god for the early suffragettes

#73 March 8th, 2013 10:28 AM

blissed

Typical of these lefty hipster types, wouldn't fund a wreath for Anzac day tich tich and instead they spent the money on a live sex show with the lame excuse that it's educational. No your wrong the herald sun has all the facts there for you too read smile

#74 April 5th, 2013 03:14 PM

artemesia

s_f30_65431623.jpg

i started this thread with femen and it seems like I'm going to end with them. Are there arab women in this photo? I seriously doubt it, but femen don't care about that kind of representation do they? Just as long as there's a press team waiting for them.

Howev's I do like how there's a bit more diversity with the bodies! Hoorah for that!

ps don't get me wrong, it's a terrible thing that amina is going to be incarcerated in a mental hospital for photographing herself topless on the internet (shit if it happened to everyone, well, this site would be having troubles that for sure) but Femen, I don't know, this protest made you look racist. Not cool.

Last edited by artemesia (April 5th, 2013 03:15 PM)

#75 April 5th, 2013 06:55 PM

blissed

Artemesia Islam isn't a race, it's a religion anyone in the world can join. and in many parts of the world you have to be very brave indeed to protest it.

Last edited by blissed (April 5th, 2013 06:59 PM)

Board footer